Beware ripoff at Texaco station in Sosua

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
In the US( Massachusetts) their is a dept. of weights and measures that check the pumps regularly ,doubt jf they do that here.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I always ask for a set amount - for example 2000 pesos. I can't see how they can cheat on that as long as you check that the gauge is on zero before they start.

Jul 28, 2014
I always ask for a set amount - for example 2000 pesos. I can't see how they can cheat on that as long as you check that the gauge is on zero before they start.

The rate of $$ increasing on the display > "proper" amount of gas going in the vehicle.

i.e. should be getting "X" litres or gallons per peso, but actually get much less...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I find that to be false at my station...

I fill up a 5 gal tank and a 1 gallon jug of gas for our lawn equipment.

That's the easy way to verify the accuracy....

an empty 1.5L wine bottle will work...
Test it.... and then dump in your tank

Next you'll be telling us the wine makers cheat on their bottles !!!! hehehe

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I find that to be false at my station...

I fill up a 5 gal tank and a 1 gallon jug of gas for our lawn equipment.

That's the easy way to verify the accuracy....

an empty 1.5L wine bottle will work...
Test it.... and then dump in your tank

Next you'll be telling us the wine makers cheat on their bottles !!!! hehehe

There was a thread a few years back when someone was describing the alleged way the gas pumps in DR are cheating clients: they run the counter about 10% faster when the client is asking for a full tank or a set money amount, but if the client is a potential government official/weight checker and asks for a set volume of gas, e.g. '5 gallons', then the pump gives the correct volume. No idea if it's true or not but it would be pretty easy to program a pump this way.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think I remember that thread.

but the gas scam is a classic 'urban myth' here.....IMO

I buy between 1,000 and 3,000 peso at a time...depending
watching carefully........
never felt cheated yet.

In my earliest years, the ISLA guy at the new autopista (north end) got me...
my fault, he just cheated me....

Strikes me that many have trouble adjusting to RD's 'rhythm' ...

Once you find your groove - it actually can't be easier... quite a simple life , I find.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Sometimes the pumps just need to be recalibrated. Not all Dominicans are trying to rip you off.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm told that calibrating those newer pumps is not that easy. in other words it's not something any given dimwit can easily pull off. kinda like other electronic scams, you have to have know-how to do it.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
i'm told that calibrating those newer pumps is not that easy. in other words it's not something any given dimwit can easily pull off. kinda like other electronic scams, you have to have know-how to do it.

its not hard to do but you need the calibration equipment. its usually trailer mounted. if you can read and with training anyone can do it. Most of the work is maintain the calibration equipment ,if its not correct its worthless

Last edited:

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
We have one of those here in Bavaro, down by the Palladium. I am averaging about 25mpg and my tank was showing 105 miles left to empty or roughly 4 gallons. I asked to have the guy fill the tank. My 15.3 gallon tank amazingly held 18.7 gallons!!!! He argued with me and it was obvious at that point I was not going to win the battle....UNTIL....I opened the owners manual and showed him, that even bone dry, the tank holds 15.3 gallons. I even went to Kia's official website to show him. He refunded me the difference to 15.3 reluctantly as I could not prove there was 4 gallons in the tank prior to the filling. I no longer go to that "AMABLE" station...needless to say.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
In the US( Massachusetts) their is a dept. of weights and measures that check the pumps regularly ,doubt jf they do that here.

it is the gas station that is responsible to calibrate the pump however. the hire private companies to do it. The Gov. justs checks it yearly.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
We have one of those here in Bavaro, down by the Palladium. I am averaging about 25mpg and my tank was showing 105 miles left to empty or roughly 4 gallons. I asked to have the guy fill the tank. My 15.3 gallon tank amazingly held 18.7 gallons!!!! He argued with me and it was obvious at that point I was not going to win the battle....UNTIL....I opened the owners manual and showed him, that even bone dry, the tank holds 15.3 gallons. I even went to Kia's official website to show him. He refunded me the difference to 15.3 reluctantly as I could not prove there was 4 gallons in the tank prior to the filling. I no longer go to that "AMABLE" station...needless to say.

Every tank will have some "reserve room" I work at a new car dealer and we often pump more than what the owners manual says from brand new.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Every tank will have some "reserve room" I work at a new car dealer and we often pump more than what the owners manual says from brand new.

That was my past profession and there certainly is not 4+ gallons of "reserve room".

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
There are many scams that can be still be done even asking for a fixed amount. 1. they start at whatever amount was last on the pump. 2. They stop short of the amount but you still pay the full amount, be sure to read the gauge before paying. 3. They distract you and pour the gas you're paying for somewhere else.