Biggest transit accident in DR history - 20+ dead

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
From what I have seen in the videos... Sichoprola bus completely destroyed... it loks like if something has cut the bus in half, the lower and upper portion. Sichoprola is the bus company that runs Higuey - Santo Domingo route.

FL tours bus damaged in left front end...

I know the are where the accident happened, you cannot go mor ethan 80 km/h in the curve... in order for this to have results like this... the buses had to crash at least at 300 km/h cumulated speed, 150 km/h each...

Sichoprola drivers have been called the "assessins of the road"

The same driver had (not specified whether today) a "close-by" with a female driver in passanger car, bus driver commiting road piracy, female driver ended up throwing a stone into the bus and breaking a cristal. (source: 94.3 FM Higuey)

I have had many close-by's with Sichoprola drivers. They drive like mad, really mad people. Crazy. Stupid. Imbecils. They go to overtake even if they see a car coming in an incoming lane, and then they push themselves in into the right lane, regardless of who is there... even if it means pushing a vehicle out of the road.

I have filed several complaints against Sichoprola drivers myself... does not make a difference... hopefully this one will make

I know from experience and various converstaions that tourism drivers, be it bus, minivan or taxicab drivers, drive defensively with tourists on board.

I give the full blame to Sichoprola driver. And maybe he deserved it...even if it sounds cruel. Not the people on board. May the Lord be with their souls.
I'm with you 100% and you're on the right track.
The owners may have not paid too much attention to your complaints in the past, but now that it's going to hurt them financially, they will likely want to change their ways and start controlling their drivers.
If you have copies of those emails/complaints you made, give them to the press, to show the whole world how irresponsible the owners have been.
Hit them where it hurts, in their pockets.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
There are some very strong pictures... people should think twice before viewing this! :bored:

... J-D.

It is pretty rough. But Vets will tell you that it reminds them of a body count. I hope all the Dominican drivers will see this and maybe change their driving habits. Unfortunately I don't think so.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
absolutely agreement on the theme with the Sichoprola drivers,
but want to add that i have on nearly daily bases 'nearby-incidents' with the drivers of tourist buses myself driving up and down the bavaro area from marina-airport-bavaro several times a day,there are many who drive carefylly with passengers, but much more who don't, the big crowd of them is just a brainless danger on the roads, and more when they drive without passengers, what doesn't mean they could not hit an other vehicle full of passengers. that's exactly the same insane driving style for public bus drivers, tourist bus drivers and many drivers of the little trucks picking up their clients for a safari "on Time". it will take a very long time before the country has saver wide roads with devided lanes(and even they are not save because those same drivers just can go faster, so they may hit less often, but when they hit there are more dea and injured people involved), till then we even need more policias acostados, doesn/t matter how much that bothers when you have to cross them every day, but it slows them down, and on the fast transit roads the Amet has to do speed checks and drivers, secially drivers of heavy vehicles, should get penalties much higher than just some pesos, for a bus driver at least the loss of the license should be included.
my wife and our son drive with them from higuey to san pedro 2-3 times a month, very mostly on friday mornings, today we decided to stay at home in cabeza de toro because of the strom and the dangerous roads when wet during today's heavy rainfalls.
and it is not that rare that those accidents happen, the exception today been just the tragic high number of dead and injured passengers and the involvement of dead tourists. only on the road from bavaro to higuey heavy high speed accidents happen on weekly bases. FL Tours is here in the area very well known for their stupid driving style, but i never heard that not even one touroperator stopped to use their services because of the danger they provoce on the roads on daily bases.
Mike

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Living in Higuey i have seen alot of coverage on the local news today at it is horrific and heart breaking. It saddens me that reports say when the police arrived on the scene a few dominicans were arrested as they had started to fleece the bodies for cell phones, money and other personal effects within minuets of the accident happening and ignored peoples cries for help, But we know that is quite normal behavior here.

I have been dreading news that someone we know may have been involved, but it seems someone else will be receiving heartbreaking news today, How sad. Every night when i hear my husbands truck return safely in the small hours of the morning i thank my lucky stars, and now this fresh reminder i am sure will make us thankful when all of our loved ones return home safely. Please all of you drive safely xx

Very sad :(

P.s i hope they find the driver of the diahatsu truck and string him up for leaving the scene.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
of course that truck driver should get caught, but the main part of such accidents is not even his fault , at least by far nit him alone,because everybody knows very well that such parking is here in the country as usual as rice and beans for lunch. the killer is the bus driver entering a blind corner with much too high speed, so he hd not be able to stop for what ever may be in that blind corner. istead of a stupid parkingtruck driver it could also have been one of us stopped for some kind of trouble with the car, some kids walking there aso, he would have killed anybody anyways. if you drive that street in a regular car and you drive just 80-100 kphr of speed those buses, public and tourist buses, will push your back and will try to overtake. in my homecountry germany they would only be allowed to drive a max of 60kphr with those heavy vehicles, would have saved most lifes today. that 'all the vehicle can give' speed which is here typicalis the first which has to get stopped, otherwise the most modern hughway would not be a save place with 30 years old buses driving 150kphr there and drivers without brains.
Mike

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I heard a saying years ago which has always stuck with me:

"Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly"

I know everyone is angry at the Bus Driver and rightfully so. But seriously, can you even imagine the pain and torment he is going to have to live with for the rest of his life?

Knowing the role he played in today's crash? I don't think death could be worse for him than that. He is going to have to relive todays crash everytime he closes his eyes for the rest of his life. He is going to be punished enough just being alive.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
My husband was at one of the passengers houses this afternoon when they brought his body back by Ambulance. He said he was with his 15 year old son - who is okay - when he died. He said it was just awful watching the family grieve. The man was a good friend of my husbands best friend.

He also mentioned that a 4 month old babay girl was rushed to Hospital and was having surgery - he hadn't heard if she was okay yet or not.

Another passenger who died, we knew from him working at Barcelo Capella Hotel as a BellBoy. He had left there a little while ago and took a job in Punta Cana and was on his way home from work when the accident happened. He didn't make it.

It is not only the people who died but all those who knew them - family andf friends - who are also the victims at this time.

My heart goes out to all of them and tonight I will defintely keep all of them in my prayers.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
This is a tragic waste of such precious lives. I have seen the video and it is one of the most graphic things I have ever seen and hope that I never see anything like it again. Although people are saying that this footage should not be available, I disagree....this should be seen as a lesson to others. One thing I do not agree with is that the same images are shown over and over again in the same news report...I agree that this is disrespectful.

By saying that I agree that some of the graphic footage should be shown, I certainly mean no disrespect for the deseased or their families and I, as do all of us, grieve with them. Footage such as this, as horrible as it is, should be a lesson to all of us. There were many factors in the tragedy, road conditions, weather conditions, a car parked on a blind corner, but the main factor, as is most of the deadly accidents is of course speed. When I saw this video I really had to stop and think, what if I was involved in something like this, or even worse, caused an accident like this? What if that was my body lying there, dismembered and my family had to come and claim my body? Try and imagine your family having to do this and it might be an eye opener to you. Of course, the sad thing is that most people will not slow down. I for one admit that I drive over the limit, which I am sure that most people living here also do. Being a foreigner we are used to speed limits in our own country and respecting those limits, (ok, not all the time) and so when driving down here when we know that we are not going to get stopped for speeding, it seems almost natural to do so. After seeing this footage, I have definitely decided to change my driving habits. If more people saw this video they may well choose to also, one would hope.
What would be a good idea is that when people take their driving tests here, (for those that choose to drive legally), are shown videos like this...it might make them think twice.
Graphic images like these are always seen on the Dominican news channels and a lot of people disagree with them being shown, but even if a few people change their driving habits after seeing something like this, for the sake of preventing more tragedies such as today, isn't it worth it? I for one would hope it would.
My thoughts and prayers go to everybody involved.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Graphic footage like this is unlikely to have any educational effect. This reminds me of a TV show from Brazil called "Barra Pesada". A show focusing on gangster shootings, accidents, suicides, basically any cadavers they can find (which aren't hard to find in Brasil to fill a daily show). The higher the gore-level the better for their sensationalism. The show has been around for at least 20 years, my point being that people grow immune to anything thats on TV.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
of course that truck driver should get caught, but the main part of such accidents is not even his fault , at least by far nit him alone,because everybody knows very well that such parking is here in the country as usual as rice and beans for lunch. the killer is the bus driver entering a blind corner with much too high speed, so he hd not be able to stop for what ever may be in that blind corner. istead of a stupid parkingtruck driver it could also have been one of us stopped for some kind of trouble with the car, some kids walking there aso, he would have killed anybody anyways. if you drive that street in a regular car and you drive just 80-100 kphr of speed those buses, public and tourist buses, will push your back and will try to overtake. Mike
Spot on, as always, Mike.
That is it in a nutshell.
There's no doubt that the parked idiot should not have been there, but we all know they do it, so we have to drive accordingly.
Speeding around blind corners is asking for trouble, and trouble is what they got.

chibani

Oct 29, 2007
pictures from italian press

santo_domingo01g.jpg

accidentbuslaromana13.jpg

accidentbuslaromana07.jpg

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
My prayers are with the families today, what a horrible and tragic accident.
We have driven down this strech at least a dozen times and i have to say it is very scary, busses zooming by at high speeds...like way too fast for any bus to travel down a windey road. I've been on both a tourist bus and Yola both equally frightening.

this is awful.

I to use this road alot,the bavaro express ,and posted in the past ,the ride of your life,i need a change of underpants everytime i get off,the drivers overtake on bends at great speeds passing trucks other buses coming the other way; only just pull in in time ,15 to 20 times on a single trip 3 to 4 hours this happens,i say to myself we nearly bought it then !!!!!!!!!!!!!

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
In English, not as graphic...Already on youtube

YouTube - Deadly bus crash in Dominican Republic

It's interesting to compare the Reuters coverage of the accident with the streaming video from the other Web site taken by a Dominican. Which one depicts reality?

The Reuters coverage which is not as graphic gives the viewer the impression that every is moving along as it should in an orderly manner with a committee set up to identify the bodies etc. the major's office, civil defense, firefighters, emergency crews, helicopter transport to Santo Domingo. You're left with the impression that everything is under control and nothing needs to change. Reuters news coverage is like a ritual, reassuring that everything is okay although there are terrrible things happening in the world like this collision with a "bus packed with foreign tourists." Yet we know there's so much more involved and so much more about the accident and how it happened as some of you drive along these roads every day (driver screening and training, working conditions, need for a wider highway, rescue equipment such as the "Jaws of life", and I'm sure so much more needs to change.

Any more information about how it happened?

Bus drivers here have to go through a lot of screening and training and of course they make anywhere from $18 an hour in Saskatchewan to $26 or more in Toronto. What does a bus driver in the DR make and what kind of training do they have? I wonder what impact this will have on the tour operators and companies that could be sued by the families of the dead and injured.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
My prayers are for all involved in this horrific accident.
I realize that it will take time to identify and notify family members but does anyone know if and when they might publish the names of the victims?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I have come to the conclusion that I cannot trust that the road will be clear around a blind corner, as folks frequently stop/park in the most dangerous locations.
I firmly believe that they just don't understand the implications.
They see their friend, they pull over, they stop, they chat..... that's all that is going on in their minds at that moment.
I have readjusted my driving accordingly.

I'm sure that bus drivers know this too, but their desire to race (specially guaguas, trying to get to the next client first) is greater than their desire to be cautious.
Nothing will make this change, except the owners of the fleet vehicles exerting pressure on their own drivers.
The owners would be money motivated to do so, and money makes the world go round. (ie: The loss of the vehicle, potential lawsuits, higher insurance rates, etc)
Government legislation or the threat of long prison sentences, will not change a thing.

We can hope that the media coverage and online clip posted in this thread, will motivate the owners of public transport fleet vehicles, to make some changes/rules/regulations that will help reduce this type of incident.
To think that anything could stop fools from parking in the middle of the road wherever they damn well please, is nothing but a pipe dream.
Many many years going by will change that, but there is nothing that can be done today and it would be a waste of time to even try.

It may seem insensible to point the finger at the moment of such a horrendous accident and suffering. But IT IS EXACTLY the RIGHT MOMENT.

The culprit of a good 80% of "accidents" can easily be routed back to "YO PRIMERO"! It would seem that to Latin men, who usually can be quite slow paced, one only has to put either a woman or a steering wheel in front of their nose and the absolutely NEED to come FIRST (pun intended).

Women drive better than men, at least in this country... they are not steered by testosterone.

The "what if" question is virtually non-existent... even long after "what if" became "voila"... then it becomes both, no es mi culpa and ai, que mala suerte... even the second and third time around (same scenario, same locations, same everything!)

Rocky got it right, jail ain't gonna help, but taking vehicles off the road and auctioning them off will maybe not make all of them big thinkers but I will limit some of the typical actions and non actions quite rapidly.

Vehicles without lights (less than 40%), no brakes and other technically vital elements should be scraped right off the road.
Remember the latest accident near Montellano with the truck who broke off his gear shift stick in an effort to slow down (certainly NO brakes). Have the owner's and operators vehicles seized (ALL of them) and any in bad condition trashed terminally and the rest auctioned off in favor of the victims... you do that 2 or 3 times and it won't happen again.
The overloads we seem to enjoy making photos off, should be forced to be off loaded ON THE SPOT... in a week you will stop seeing them and the little over turned trucks here and there.

Insurance law has to be changed. It is not the insurer who has to be protected in liability cases, it's the victim. What is a seguro de ley which covers about USD 3000.oo of liability good for? It's a bad copy of the already inequitable US system. The victim has to be covered no matter what the driver's or owner financial back ground.
Driving motorized vehicles are not a right, it's a privilege because it's a liability, period. Thus it does not come cheap. There is no room for pero yo tambien tengo que ganarme la vida, NONE at all. You want to make a living on the road or just cruise on up and down the Malecon? You do that responsibly or NOT AT ALL, period. If you can't, WALK and you will come to understand that it would be nice that the vehicles passing you, will carry insurance so that if they will harm you accidentally, you will be cared for to the best possible.

I am toying with the idea of having some large stickers printed with a very graphic picture of yesterday's carnage and the wording:

QUE, TAMBIEN QUIERES SER PRIMERO?

(Picture)

La Romana-Higuey, 15 de Agosto.

Frankly they should become mandatory on all buses and other "public" vehicles.

... J-D.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Lessons Learned

............... this terrible incident could have been avoided if some heartless fool had given any thought to other people before leaving a vehicle parked indiscriminately and to 'run/ drive away' leaving carnage behind is unforgiveable, however, whoever he was, even if not tracked down, has to live with that on his conscience for the rest of his life.

I have decided not looked at the video footage.

Yeah, Right!
.... and yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

The last DR accident I witnessed, the driver of a car hit a motorcyclist.
The cyclist laid in the road motionless.

The driver of the car backed up, made a U-turn and took off.

Since other people were rushing to the cyclist, I made a U-turn and followed after the car.
(As a formal police officer, I have the experience to accomplish this)
He never knew I was tracking after him.

I tracked him to his home territory where he got out of the car,
walked over to his friends on the corner and started clowning around with his friends as if nothing happened.

I video taped him, his car and tag.
I gave the information to the police.

Lesson Learned:
DR drivers don't give a crap about who they hurt.

If someone hits your car, they will look at their own vehicle and yell and scream about the damage to THEIR vehicle.

Lesson learned in past:
I had already told my wife in the past, Never ride up front on a bus.
In an accident you will go through the window.

"NEW" Lesson learned from bus accident:
Never ride on the Driver's side of the bus.

In an on-coming accident, it's the Driver?s side that will get the full impact more often.
Mainly because of the way they drive and cross the center line.
The driver will tend to turn to the right to avoid the accident.

Don SantiagoDR

PS:

In the pictures "chibani" posted, notice the car attempting to pass multiple cars/trucks at the same time.
They NEVER learn here.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
J I am toying with the idea of having some large stickers printed with a very graphic picture of yesterday's [U said:
carnage[/U] and the wording:

QUE, TAMBIEN QUIERES SER PRIMERO?

(Picture)

La Romana-Higuey, 15 de Agosto.

Frankly they should become mandatory on all buses and other "public" vehicles.

... J-D.
I love the idea.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good post
Don, and a good deed, too. Do you know if the police did anything with the tape??

In reference to this accident, I saw, last night, that they were blaming the driver of the twin-cab pick up...but, having driven that road a few times, I wonder.

There is no doubt in my mind that the comments made here, on DR1, regarding the driving of the bus drivers is completely true. I have witnessed it also. I have seen how, in that very area, a bus sideswiped a friend's vehicle, taking off the rear view mirror...!!! Close, oh so close...

As to th efficacy of publicizing this accident...I like J.D.'s idea of a sticker....might prevent one or two...and it might be an eye-opening, stomach-turning event in schools and "Casa del Chofer" ...so, sure, use it...

Ever wonder if the people will use the tapes to find out who the "vultures" were???

HB