Birds and Bees

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I was just sitting out on my balcony and there is a splendid Avocado tree in full view a few metres (Yards for our NA readers) away and was fascinated by the antics of the Mocking birds.

There is a handsome male who has been hopping along the wall all day doing his best chirpy chirp and showing off to anyone who would watch, I assume lady Mocking birds, and wondrous to behold, he pulled a bird.(In the strictest literal sense).
Now he did the dance on the branch.
Diddly dah, Diddly dee. chirp, chatter, flap,flutter,dance and bounce and she was evidently entranced..

Then,
Piece de resistance-
He brought her a little present, not sure but I think it was an unripe avocado; she accepted.And a new love was born..

They did the business in 15 seconds and then he flew off, leaving her looking around, thinking "what just happened?".

I guess that's life as usual in Sosua..............

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
do they have hummingbirds????? (hope you dont call them peeping birds"

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
do they have hummingbirds????? (hope you dont call them peeping birds"

We have a LOT of hummingbirds on our property, so many that I decided to bring down a special feeder as an extra treat for them. I cooked up the syrup as directed, hung the pretty feeder out there, and not one bird ever drank from it. :(

We have hundreds of fruit trees on our property [avocado, mango, limon, naranja agria, cajuil soliman, jagua, etc], so we attract a zillion birds. This year there was one that actually sang "TWEET TWEET" like in cartoons.

Aug 6, 2006
Hummingbirds are perfectly equipped to be peeping toms because of their small size and prodigious hovering ability.
Luckily, hummingbirds are not interested in human activities. Lecherous hummingbirds could be serious pests.

Robodrone hummingbirds would be ideal devices for use by spies, detective agencies and people who are seriously nosy.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
what does you hummingbird feeder look like - maybe some horrible plastic flowers attached to it would work - they are attracted by bright things I think

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
seen hummingbird feeders work nicely in Costa Rica using sugar water. They were brightly colored plastic cups in shape of flower.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The feeder I brought down is bright, big ole flower and some shiny balls like marbles that are wrapped in gold wire and catch the light. The 'food' is in the bottom portion, there are 4 or 5 red flowers with an opening in the center for them to drink from. They don't like something about it :(

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Are the humming birds, those small ones with the long beeks ????

If so, a humming bird has elected residence inside my house, can you believe.
I put my feet up on the sofa and the bird comes and perches on my toes..... so weird.....
He goes out, to do whatever hummimg birds do, than comes back again......has been going on 4 days....
The bird hovers just out of reach of my new mini-rottie, who goes wild jumping and running all over, chasing it.... the beginning of a love story ?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
We have a LOT of hummingbirds on our property, so many that I decided to bring down a special feeder as an extra treat for them. I cooked up the syrup as directed, hung the pretty feeder out there, and not one bird ever drank from it. :(

We have hundreds of fruit trees on our property [avocado, mango, limon, naranja agria, cajuil soliman, jagua, etc], so we attract a zillion birds. This year there was one that actually sang "TWEET TWEET" like in cartoons.

I had the same problem ... until I doubled the sugar content - put in honey, actually. It was as if the hummingbirds here were saying "look, we are Dominicans, we really like things sweet"

plus there seem to be hummingbirds here who are giants compared to the little ones up north.

I now have two of the feeders and a constant parade of hummingbirds

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
I had the same problem ... until I doubled the sugar content - put in honey, actually. It was as if the hummingbirds here were saying "look, we are Dominicans, we really like things sweet"

plus there seem to be hummingbirds here who are giants compared to the little ones up north.

I now have two of the feeders and a constant parade of hummingbirds

That could damage their kidneys and cause them to eschew seeking protein via bugs because of all the free calories they're getting.

Should be 1 part sugar 4 parts water.

Diabetic hummingbirds with missing feet aren't fun to watch.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, they are bigger than No American hummingbirds.......
at least the ones I have seen are bigger.... never seen a small one yet.

Aug 6, 2006
A bird after my own heart...

Is it really possible for a hummingbird to get diabetes? They have a different digestive system than humans, you know.

Perhaps some seriousl googling about hummnigbirds and how to attract them might be useful.

Do their feet fall off as a result?

In a natural environment, hummingbirds might actually come in contact with honey.