Blending in - tips for foreign residents

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Ain't that the truth!

Here's a great example: I drive back and forth to work everyday on the 6 de Noviembre highway.

Yesterday, I came across a truck that was broken down in the right lane, and there were 3 motoconchos stopped in the left lane, talking to the driver. On an AUTOPISTA. Like they didn't have a care in the world, blocking the entire road.

They waited until I was practically on top of them to even acknowledge that I was coming, and I had to reduce my speed from 100KPH down to about 20 to keep from plowing into them.

They didn't have a clue. It must be all that lead in the air from Haina.

you didn't kill 'em to open that illegal roadblock???
heck,

woooahahaha

Annie,
dirty purse
crocs
and PINK FLIP FLOPS
i can feel with your housekepper.
please listen to that Lady, he he
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
uniform like clothing?
careful guys,
wear that in the wrong 'hood at the wrong time and the locals may assume you are with the DGCD on your way to take that place out and may shoot ya right away in the usual self defense style.
Mike

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
What!?!? Nah, can't be true, but I can see authorities giving you a hard time if you are wearing a shirt of the like. After all they don't require any real reason to stop someone. What about heavy-metal t-shirts with pentograms, and devils and such, probably not very well recieved either.
I don't know if it's a solid fact. If it's true it isn't enforced, like the law about camouflage print clothing.

Mar 2, 2008
I see a lot of outfits on gringos that should be against the law!

I've even worn a few, back in the day.

If I had known any better at the time I would have turned myself in.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
this is a great thread
Just wanted to add about the t shirts here.... how they are sometimes funny.. like the one i saw on an abuela in the campo saying "try a virgin".... and sometimes- not that time- but sometimes I translate for them. if there is English text that they may not understand (and might not want to promote).

Or the young tiguere with a "World's No. 1 Grandma" t-shirt...

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I see a lot of outfits on gringos that should be against the law!

I've even worn a few, back in the day.

If I had known any better at the time I would have turned myself in.

ha ha ha

Bob Marley isn't allowed?

i would not know about any gift shop down on the beach which is not selling Bob Marley t-shirts, he he,
close 'em all,
lock 'em up, lol.

it is with so many things that way, there may be a rule or law but enforcement of such is something different.

like in usually other countries also here the use of an official uniform, police or military, by a non member of the armed forces is of course prohibited.

but the simple camouflage/military styled civil dresses sold in stores worldwide including here will not bring any trouble.

in case Bob Marley shirts will be prohibited maybe they soon start to collect the Sankies with the "Bob Marley styled" hair and send 'em to the barber shop, ha ha ha.
would love to watch that scene, lol.
Mike

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I don't know if it's a solid fact. If it's true it isn't enforced, like the law about camouflage print clothing.

Yup it's true, my ex marido was stopped right there in immigration and had to change his Bob Marley shirt before bording the plane, and they kept it. :chinese:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hey jr,
finally somebody got the 'picture', ha ha.
Juanita,
what the law/lawnumber that prohibits Bob Marley t-shirts?
they are sold here on the beach at every gift shop to tourists,
so we take their bucks and then we take the product at the airport?
i can not believe that.
poor Bobbie.
let's shoot the Sheriff.
Mike

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I could dress like the guy selling aquacates on the streets, and I'd STILL be identified as El Gringo Grande. The pale skin, blondish features and blue eyes give me away.

I just try being respectful of the Dominican culture and idioms as best as I can. The "blending in" may never happen. I'll still intend to be me...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Spare a thought for the Dominicans who "look like gringos" who have to yell "co?o, soy de un maidito campo de Moca" when their compatriots insist on speaking to them as if their Spanish was minimal. Mr C. who is neither blond nor blue eyed gets this a lot, but the blond blue-eyed Dominicans I know must get it even worse than he does.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
"co?o, soy de un maidito campo de Moca" when their compatriots insist on speaking to them as if their Spanish was minimal. QUOTE]

Haha, that's what I'm gonna tell people. I used to say I was from sajoma, just to mess around, but more than a few believed it. And I'm uruguayan-canadian. But realistically its tough to blend in, either accent, the way you dress, the colour of your skin can give you away. But sometimes its not that bad, in some areas you want to stick out, in others you might not want to draw attention to yourself. You can use the fact that you're "gringo" to your advantage, but never let it be a disadvantage - i.e. don't let people sucker you into paying more, etc.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I could dress like the guy selling aquacates on the streets, and I'd STILL be identified as El Gringo Grande. The pale skin, blondish features and blue eyes give me away.

I just try being respectful of the Dominican culture and idioms as best as I can. The "blending in" may never happen. I'll still intend to be me...

that's exactly what i would name 'blending in'.

to behave in a way which fits within the usual behaviors of a area/location/country.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Or how about when I go somewhere with the better half, and the other person talks to her like I wasn't even there.

It happens even though I speak to the person in spanish, and my spanish ain't bad.

that's a very common prob for mixed couples, yeap.
me and the Mrs are usually entering a place and seating ourselves in the way that everybody knows who is the "Boss" within.
no machismo meant from my side,
but we are in a machismo country.
when entering a spot/bar/restaurant aso and the lady walks ahead and the man walks behind her the 'boss' is clearly the female and the man is just the company.
I walk MY Mrs in, doesn't matter where that is, I seat Her and I order the darn first drink for her.
if somebody approaches us and tries to start a conversation with my wife without first telling Me a 'hello/saludo/buenas tardes aso' and introducing himself/herself to me first so i would introduce my wife to him/her, without that simple and completely typical dominican sign of respectful conversation start, there would not be any conversation by anyone with my wife at my side. She would not respond to him/her.

it's sometimes simple features,
and it is NOT easy,
and you do not get used to it quick.

and to stay clear in case of my relationship:
my wife can talk to who ever she want's to, she can have conversation at a bar or where ever we visit with anybody she want's to, she does not need my permission for such, she always has her own money handy and can spend a drink to who ever she feels comfo to do so, at specific spots i even love it to order the bill and she's the one who pays to the openmouthed waiter, ha ha.

my point been:
absolutely usual costumbre in the country to start a conversation with strangers is to introduce yourself to the man first and then get by the man introduced to the wife when approaching a couple to start a conversation.
if that approaching person is a known person, not a stranger, i would say that 'hello' is anyways the way to go. if she's talking to a good friend(male or female doesn't matter) i would not have a prob to be out of their conversation, let 'em talk their private chat, but such has a short time limit.

somebody who leaves you out of that you should just tell to beg off and try his stuff with somebody else.
sure the wife plays her role also in it,
she should not stick to such conversations, she should just turn towards her husband and even the most stu tigre should realize that he is on the wrong guys.

Mike

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Or the young tiguere with a "World's No. 1 Grandma" t-shirt...

Last month in a shop I was in, a tiguere entered sporting a 'Great legs! What time do they open?' T shirt. I asked if he understood the English on his T shirt & no he didn't, so I translated :cheeky:. Instead of envisioning the use he could put his T shirt to, he was actually somewhat embarassed...

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
20 years ago, when first dating my now wife, i arrived in SD wearing faded jeans with a hole or two and a levi's denim jacket also worn and with a hole or two. everyone thought i was insane because how could a rich gringo, all gringoes are rich, have holes in his clothes and not be crazy. funny thing though is that my americanized cuban girlfriend in miami really liked that look.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
20 years ago, when first dating my now wife, i arrived in SD wearing faded jeans with a hole or two and a levi's denim jacket also worn and with a hole or two. everyone thought i was insane because how could a rich gringo, all gringoes are rich, have holes in his clothes and not be crazy. funny thing though is that my americanized cuban girlfriend in miami really liked that look.

ha ha
and anyways,
those worn looked styled wholes in it jeans clothes the intelligent mid class buys for even more bucks than a good real new one would cost, he he.
since you walked the line that way they think that's 'Inn"/modern/the latest trend, lol.

my most beloved pair of jeans has at least 10 years of age, cuts everywhere and my wife tried to 'smuggle' that babe several times to the trash container, til now i always caught her on time.
Mike

R

rockero

I am probably moving down here for the winter end of month but I am not a shorts and gucci preppie waering geek guy. I might bring a few sprts shirts from chicago thats it and some of my nice long sleeved button down shirts. my nice gym shoes and boots too. But the tourist image of stupid shorts or bermuda shirts and camera around my neck is not for me. Should I bring my leather jacket too? I am thinking not as most of DR is too hot for that. Oh Well that is my style. Will probably live in Santo Domingo or Santiago... Later,,Rockero....

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
dressing

Annie,
dirty purse
crocs
and PINK FLIP FLOPS
i can feel with your housekepper.
please listen to that Lady, he he
Mike

Oh I KNOW it is SUCH an effort to get dressed properly here. No wonder I need help. I now have IRONED and STARCHED outfits now hanging in my closets.

But I am keeping my crocs and my pink flip flops which do have a bit of a wedge........ AND my sketchers....

But it is also an effort to get to the salon to have the TOES painted so that they look ok in the sandals......

But, of course, in the end I am still the Americana and the neighbors know that they are just going to have to cut me some slack....

i mean

who irons in the States?

Last edited:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
so your approach to blend in
is the nail art at the salon,
of course in the style of the oink sandals.

i hate my stuff ironed,
but the Mrs doesn't care, she irons almost everything.

Rocker,
leave that leather jacket at home.
when for a longer while close to a beach it is a hassle to maintain a leather jacket.
the salty humidity dries the leather and kills the zippers, so you would need to keep that greased all the time.

shorts and other beach wear is not my thingy as long as i don't plan to jump in that water. blue jeans and shirts are my way to go.

i don't even try to blend in in case of clothing,
to blend in mean's to show the right attitude/behavior,
and you get accepted at the new 'hood really quick.
to go with the flow of the present neighbourhood is the way to blend in.
Mike

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
Hey juanita!

I totally agree with what you said! You DO know this country! lol