Boca Chica Beach and Sargazo

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A picture is worth a thousand words. Well, here are four.

IMG_9062.jpeg

IMG_9063.jpeg

IMG_9064.jpeg

IMG_9066.jpeg

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Maybe the Shoreline, but 99 % of that video is about some very nice SCUBA Diving .. Is the whole beach like this ? or just that section.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
From my other topic.. Sargassum.... the south coast seems to be the most vulnerable
and it has only just begun

nasa-earth-observatorys-sargassum-map.jpg

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
If words tell lies then so do photos and these are a very good example. Unless miraculously this stuff has suddenly arrived from the heavens I would say it is an example of old footage given a new date . I flew in last week and the entire Caribbean Sea was free of this stuff as far as the eye could see . Driving from the airport to La Romana there was none . Except for one period several years ago when the coastal area from the capital to Bavaro suffered from this, we have been mercifully free of both the smell and the sight.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We were down on last Thursday and the area we were at was pristine, nothing like the pictures. This was about at Caribe Beach Restaurant.
If words tell lies then so do photos and these are a very good example. Unless miraculously this stuff has suddenly arrived from the heavens I would say it is an example of old footage given a new date . I flew in last week and the entire Caribbean Sea was free of this stuff as far as the eye could see . Driving from the airport to La Romana there was none . Except for one period several years ago when the coastal area from the capital to Bavaro suffered from this, we have been mercifully free of both the smell and the sight.
Pictures appear to be from yesterday. Why would someone fake this?

2731 × 1533
1,021.81 KB

{
"Orientation": 1,
"XResolution": 72,
"YResolution": 72,
"ResolutionUnit": 2,
"YCbCrPositioning": 1,
"ExifIFDPointer": 102,
"ExifVersion": "0221",
"DateTimeOriginal": "2023:04:23 22:41:34",
"ComponentsConfiguration": "YCbCr",
"UserComment": [

}

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Whoa! Looks like a lot of sand has been sucked out of the beach lately. Can't really tell by the video and pictures but it looks like it's all collected in the area in front of the Hamaca.

I'd like to see what the beach looks like on the west side of the dock.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Boca Chica does seem to attract many things I'd rather not deal with when on vacation. We can add sargazo to the list.

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
Don't see any pictures of the scumbags on the street or all the garbage strewn everywhere including the new park in front of the church or all the dilapidated and unsafe sidewalks. Great for scaring away all tourists. Water is pristine while beach...not so much. Too bad since it so close to the airport and the capital city. It could be developed into the best tourist destination in the entire Caribbean. What a waste.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Don't see any pictures of the scumbags on the street or all the garbage strewn everywhere including the new park in front of the church or all the dilapidated and unsafe sidewalks. Great for scaring away all tourists. Water is pristine while beach...not so much. Too bad since it so close to the airport and the capital city. It could be developed into the best tourist destination in the entire Caribbean. What a waste.

Please start a separate thread to discuss Boca Chica in general. This one is about the sargassum. Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
I don't know where you're flying, but I've seen it all over the Caribbean all winter. Flew to Punta Cana the other day and it's in the ocean, floating towards the DR. Not to mention there are sections of the beaches in Bavaro and PuntaCana that look the same as the pictures of Boca Chica.

Reactions: windeguy

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
We have no sargasso at the current time at our beach in El Francés, Samaná. I saw a little in Playita but not much.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I don't know where you're flying, but I've seen it all over the Caribbean all winter. Flew to Punta Cana the other day and it's in the ocean, floating towards the DR. Not to mention there are sections of the beaches in Bavaro and PuntaCana that look the same as the pictures of Boca Chica.
I flew into las Americas and there was none that I could see.. When it was here the last time it was all the way from Autopista las Americas to Bavaro in various degrees but this time no. I am going to Boca de Yuma soon so I will see the situation there.

Reactions: reilleyp