Boca Chica going downhill !

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
you need to tell me where to go sit on the beach then! LOL :cheeky:

Ya just gotta know the right guy. I usually buy lunch (just a sandwich or a fruit plate) and a beer or two and i DO tip him. But my last day all i bought was an orange juice and thats it. I appologized and just told him that i wasnt that hungry.

I think a day on the playa with lunch & a Presidente & a juice would run me an average of 300 pesos WITH tip.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
guess why it took the police so long to respond...

Sorry your trip was not pleasant. The police corruption you mention is not so new. One reason it took the police so long to respond might be that they had to take off their masks and change back into their uniforms :)

I just returned from a trip of seven nights. To say that Boca Chica is going downhill is an understatement. There seems to be even fewer restaurants than existed a year ago. The restaurant which is adjacent to Isla Bonita is gone. The owner of boathouse as I understand it is aggressively seeking a buyer. One of the only decent restaurants in town which was Dominican owned is now owned by a very decent Italian gentleman. It's almost like the only places to eat are the fast food greasy cafeteria type establishments.

There seem to be a lot more sporadic holdups of small businesses in the area. Saturday night around 11:30pm some gunmen stormed into the Swiss bar with the two pool tables in the back on DUARTE Street and menaced patrons and stole the cashbox. It took 35 minutes for the local police to show up. The police corruption in the town is beyond measure and if it's not realed in, I cannot see how this area can continue as a viable tourist destination. Even locals are moving up the coast. This beach has always had a really bad reputation for all of the reasons delineated on this form. It's been covered to death. But as someone who has visited this area four times in the last six years I have to say it's really going downhill. A terrible shame and extremely unnecessary.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
doesn't anyone frequent the neighborhoods in BC ? duarte and the beach is not ALL of BC...just asking...

imissdr

Feb 5, 2009
i have spent almost a year in that area. Ok it was a few years ago...but im sure it has not change. Boca chica is not for everyone. It depends on your kind of vacation. There is a lot of french-german-canadien tourist. It's a place where you can party you a%&* off. thats for sure. I dont suggest that you go with family (kids) as that you can see quite a lot of prostitution. It didnt bother me much 'cause you have to think that it is a way of "surviving" to make money. But my philosophie is: if there is prostitute...there is customers!!! So no one gets any blame.But thats my opinion. There is plenty things you can do...but keep in mind it's not a "big resort" it's more like a village with a big hotel in it.(and of course a few other hotels) I recently discover a great site. its call google earth. you will have to download it but its worth it. its a big satellite. you will be able to see big images of boca chica or any other places. (its great advice for all actually) anywho...pm me for other questions.

dukes1963

Jan 3, 2007
I think one of the best beach places now is the Porco Rosado-the chairs are free and service for the restaurant bar is real good. They also probably have one of the best restrooms in Boca Chica-they even stock them with toilet paper;)

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I think one of the best beach places now is the Porco Rosado-the chairs are free and service for the restaurant bar is real good. They also probably have one of the best restrooms in Boca Chica-they even stock them with toilet paper;)

Can you tell me exactly where this is place located?

vegano

Apr 16, 2009
Living in between Qu?bec City and DR, I visited Boca Chica twice in may 2008 and february 2009. In 2008 biking from La Vega to Barahona, Pedernales, Lago Enriquillo, Santo Domingo. Stayed in a small hotel and eated in restaurants on beach. Back last februray to Don Juan Resort for a week. Sorry to say but Boca Chica is a nice decent place to be in DR. I don't know how it was 20 years ago but today it compares very well but in a different style to my favorite places: Punta Rusia, Terrenas, Galeras, Sosua.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Is the Restaurante El Triangulo still in operation in Boca Chica? It was just West of where the bus drops you off in front of the fried fish stands and the main parking area.

freods

Jul 17, 2006
My wife and I are going to spend a Monday thru Thurs. at the Hotel Zapata in BC and then move on to the Colonial Zone for the weekend. I was told that BC was cleaning up its act and as long as you weren't there on the weekend and back in your room by 11 (being 62 that won't be a problem) you shouldn't have any safety issues. Any imput on this strategy, some decent restaurants, and our hotel choice? All we are looking to do is lay in the sun, drink some Presidente, and have a couple decent meals.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Hola Freods.

There are two new restaurants on duarte. One has a little steam table in the front and the other sells bread...both are italian. (sorry...didnt get the names). The one with the steam table has the better food if you sit down and order from the menu. The camarones were great...with so much garlic that even I was happy.

For lunch (some days) I recommend a brief break from the beach and going to the chinese place and getting some fried chicken (either with tostones or fried rice). For 70 pesos its a great deal and just as good as the chicherones de pollo on the beach. I ususally just get a fruit plate on the beach for lunch myself tho.

Enjoy!!!

My wife and I are going to spend a Monday thru Thurs. at the Hotel Zapata in BC and then move on to the Colonial Zone for the weekend. I was told that BC was cleaning up its act and as long as you weren't there on the weekend and back in your room by 11 (being 62 that won't be a problem) you shouldn't have any safety issues. Any imput on this strategy, some decent restaurants, and our hotel choice? All we are looking to do is lay in the sun, drink some Presidente, and have a couple decent meals.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Boca Chica

My wife and I are going to spend a Monday thru Thurs. at the Hotel Zapata in BC.........All we are looking to do is lay in the sun, drink some Presidente, and have a couple decent meals.

One of my favorite restaurants........http://www.dr1.com/forums/south-coast/83335-fernando-cafe-boca-chica.html

Hotel Zapata is a good choice. Do not get a room on the street side of the hotel. The rooms are small in the beach house but the location is nice. Hotel Zapata is right on the beach with their privat lounge area.

Avoid the vendors, just keep shaking your head NO, they will leave you alone. LOL

Enjoy your stay in BC and please report back.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
One of my favorite restaurants........http://www.dr1.com/forums/south-coast/83335-fernando-cafe-boca-chica.html

Hotel Zapata is a good choice. Do not get a room on the street side of the hotel. The rooms are small in the beach house but the location is nice. Hotel Zapata is right on the beach with their privat lounge area.

Avoid the vendors, just keep shaking your head NO, they will leave you alone. LOL

Enjoy your stay in BC and please report back.

Second that on Fernando Cafe. I ate there a few weeks ago and it was very good. The new owner was very friendly and professional.

A good thing about the Zapata is they have a little ankle high bsrrier at the beach end of the property and the vendors do not come within the Zapata property.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I was also going to recomend Fernando's. But I didnt know the new name of the place and the big sign saying "fernando's" is gone.

Lizzard

Sep 11, 2006
The name of the 2 restaurants on Calle duarte that Jrzyguy is talking about are..... Tucano that sells bread out front and it is German owned I believe and just up the street is Gusto Tropical Cafeteria it is Italian owned and does have a little buffet out front for take out food!! The food at both places was excellent and really resonable prices :) My favorite was Gusto Tropical nothing fancy but great food mmmm Would also agree that Fernandos is another excellent choice.

Lizzard