Boca Chica is getting improved

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
According to a declaration by David Collado, Minister of Tourism, Boca Chica will get improvements. Anything that is done to improve BC is a must asap. From what he said, this will be done before the end of his rule as Minister of Tourism and it encompasses improvements to the beach (I guess moving much of the sand that once was at the beach and now is in the sea due to coastal erosion though I think the beach hasn't been touched since Trujillo except the part immediately next to the Hamaca) and the environs of the beach (I hope this includes calle Duarte which looks horrible that should be pedestrians only at least from the park to Hotel Hamaca and redesigned similar to the new ones in the Colonial Zone.)

Jaa3cTF.jpg

Hoy; Jan 20, 2024.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
They dredged sand to the beach many years ago, but it didn't last. Some say it was because of the jetty the Hamaca constructed.

If they don't do anything with the cut throat restaurants there won't be much of an improvement of guests.

Reactions: CristoRey

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Does the beach bar Isla Bonita still exist. In 2005 -6 it was right at the water.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Does anybody remember the bar that Peter from England ran that belonged to a European guy? The bar tender was Flaco.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
Does the beach bar Isla Bonita still exist. In 2005 -6 it was right at the water.
it's still there. As I understand it, ran by more-or-less a squater? I believe the actual owner (if there is/was one passed
and the property now in limbo). The building is mostly empty. I think a few apartments occupied. Decent spot to have
a cold one; don't run a tab!

Reactions: JD Jones

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
it's still there. As I understand it, ran by more-or-less a squater? I believe the actual owner (if there is/was one passed
and the property now in limbo). The building is mostly empty. I think a few apartments occupied. Decent spot to have
a cold one; don't run a tab!
I remember meeting a German there who said he was the owner.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Playa Vista.. I believe Fleming (Danish) owned the place.
That's the one. Our go-to place after Ronnies was gone. I have Flemings books around here somewhere. Definitely ah.... different.

I think he finally sold it. I know it was for sale forever.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That's the one. Our go-to place after Ronnies was gone. I have Flemings books around here somewhere. Definitely ah.... different.

I think he finally sold it. I know it was for sale forever.
Flemming passed away many years ago before he sold it. It's probably still in probate. Peter returned to England before that. That was my favorite place on the beach, also.

1705774417179.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: JD Jones

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Until they do something about the trash, this place remains a toilet. It makes the capital look good.
Bit of a dumping ground for folks leaving the Capital or is the problem with the locals?

Let me guess...

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Bit of a dumping ground for folks leaving the Capital or is the problem with the locals?
One problem is lack of business continuity. A business pop up and six months later it´s gone, another pop up and that last for eight months. Three (at least not including Isla Bonita) great spots in La Duarte disintegrating most likely due to pending issues with the property. I did a run passed the CORAABO tanks on Tierra Alta this morning, I go through trash on the road even passed the Hilda Gutierres Liceo.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
One problem is lack of business continuity. A business pop up and six months later it´s gone, another pop up and that last for eight months. Three (at least not including Isla Bonita) great spots in La Duarte disintegrating most likely due to pending issues with the property. I did a run passed the CORAABO tanks on Tierra Alta this morning, I go through trash on the road even passed the Hilda Gutierres Liceo.
Sounds like good old BC is still a sh*thole. I'll bet ya still have the same core group of barrio rats running the streets scamming, pick pocketing and stealing from tourist (with the complicity of the PN) that you've had down there for years.

There are so many better places to live in the DR. I can't understand why anyone would want to live in a town like BC, the very worst this country has to offer?

Reactions: Jumbo

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Until they do something about the trash, this place remains a toilet. It makes the capital look good.
That's an issue for the city government. The Ministry of Tourism will just focus on the beach and the immediate surrounding area (they should cover the entire downtown area, IMO).

Boca Chica needs to not just increase garbage collection, but also buy the big garbage bins seen in places like Puerto Plata and put them around town.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Definitely both. But the beaches are kept up with. I live about a km from the beach. We are not important enough for trash pickup.
Less important than the trash?
That's a tough one. Hello roaches.
Hello rats.

Abel Martinez put a stop to that problem here in Santiago the first week he became mayor.

It's a real shame people have to step over mountains of trash as they go about their daily lives.

Reactions: NanSanPedro and tht

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Flemming passed away many years ago before he sold it. It's probably still in probate. Peter returned to England before that. That was my favorite place on the beach, also.

View attachment 8641
It was a great replacement for Ronnies Bar. That's a great picture!

I've wondered many times how Peter Hayward is doing.

Last edited:

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
It used to be a bar upstairs, I remember Christine and Wendy and another girl did a dance show.. I can asure you all that was fun 😂🤣😂😅... last century.