Boca NOW?

danely18

Feb 22, 2018
I'm curious about how Boca Chica is, lately from a resident, or recent long term visitor; not having been there for over a decade myself.....but used to go a lot before that and had fun there.
I saw on the interweb that the entire beachfront and hill behind the beach has been built out and up; with condos, hotels, etc. It was shocking to see this since the area had only a bare hillside of dirt lots and the odd condo built on it before, and what was there was lonely and Calle Duarte dead. So, there has been a lot built, but I have no idea about the occupancy or visitor rates.....somebody must be going there other than flight crews I would think, and something must be happening at night?????? Anybody been there very recently?

Last edited:

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
Growing construction activity.
Residents mostly Italian, tourists from Russia.
Infrastructure not catching up, power goes down a lot. Rubbish is collected, but before the truck comes and after it leaves you see plenty of garbage, plastic bags, cup and plates. Small restaurants do not have own garbage containers.
The Duarte street makes a poor impression day and night. Businesses open and shut down after a few month.
The crime appears under control, not worse then other locations.
No shopping center, no hospital, dozens of churches.
On a positive side a walk way has been built along the beach to the Club Nautico.
Wave surf possible in La Boya break, 3 Km away. SUP surf in BC.

danely18

Feb 22, 2018
Growing construction activity.
Residents mostly Italian, tourists from Russia.
Infrastructure not catching up, power goes down a lot. Rubbish is collected, but before the truck comes and after it leaves you see plenty of garbage, plastic bags, cup and plates. Small restaurants do not have own garbage containers.
The Duarte street makes a poor impression day and night. Businesses open and shut down after a few month.
The crime appears under control, not worse then other locations.
No shopping center, no hospital, dozens of churches.
On a positive side a walk way has been built along the beach to the Club Nautico.
Wave surf possible in La Boya break, 3 Km away. SUP surf in BC.

thanks for the explanation....gives a great idea of what's going on....wish it was doing better with the expansion, but no....the Italian residents and Russian tourists explain a lot....I used to stay in one of the first Italian hotels, 3 floors with a 2 person elevator....it was fun then...1999-2004ish.....the Boat House and Lawrence were there...place next door catered to loud New Yorkers... but fun....with some DR1ers around too....

Last edited: