Books on DR...interested?

Apr 26, 2002
Indie,

I've seen the documentary - a first step, I think, toward Dominicans being appreciated like the Irish, Jews, Chinese, Italians, Poles, Indians and others before them credited with having identifiably positive aspirations and cultural contributions to America. It was wonderful.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Actually, it's called The Farming of Bones - did that book break your heart, or WHAT? So, so sad....

Jane J., I stand corrected. The Spanish translation - which we also have - is called 'Cosecha de Huesos' so I got confused.

It is a wonderful book. Her other stuff is good too, but nothing to do with the DR.

Chiri

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I "love" all the books that came out around 1992..

..proclaiming that "Columbus" was a racist bastard intent on killing all the indigenous peoples he encountered in the "New World"! The authors burden Colombus with all the Politically Correct Bullshit from the end of the last century!(Jesus, I love to say that;"End of the Last Century!!) Please remember that 500 years ago being from a country not your own was reason enough for "Europeans" to kill each other on sight!These "authors" of, not revitionist history, but of;Docu-Drama,fantasy history,have the "ability" to reveal to us the inner most thoughts of Colombus!! A rare talent indeed! The "Guy" discovered the "New World",so what if he was "looking" for "India",most discoveries happen that same way,by "chance"!! "Good Job Cris!"Today you are recognized around the World as one of the greatest men of all time!!! Except by those who want to blame their failures of today on your success' of 500 years ago!!!.....Cris ColonCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcccccccccccc

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Colombus didn't discover americas or (what he thought was India), because there were people already living here. Then you might add that he "rediscovered America", wrong again. Moores (north african arabs) were already here before him and had established trade with the locals in many parts of the americas. All this has been well researched by many experts and historians. Just look up in google and you will be surprised to see what you will find.
Its true, the history is written by the winners so facts really don't count a whole lot.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Thanks to this thread

I now have another list of books to read! Starting w/ La Fiesta del Chivo, which I just received (Thesaurus cafe, SD $315)