Border crossing and road 45

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Apparently the point is a "been there and done that lunch in Haiti trip". Few would waste the time and effort.

Almost every thread on DR1 goes off tangent. Yet, learning about the current state of affairs regarding how the border crossings are handled is useful information for future travelers. What does it cost, does it reset your 30 days legally in the DR, etc.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Question

3. Are there any border taxes and how much should I pay?

Response

Port-au-Prince to Santo Domingo:
Haitian passport: U.S. $ 20
Haitian passport (alien resident): U.S. $ 30
Dominican resident: $ 10
Foreign passport: U.S. $ 10

Santo Domingo to Port-au-Prince:
Haitian passport: 200 Gdes
Haitian passport (foreign resident): 200 Gdes
Foreign passport + Dominican Resident : U.S. $ 30 + 200 RD

These rates are for information purposes, CCL is not responsible for changes that may occur without notice.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..........Almost every thread on DR1 goes off tangent..............

So true. Op asks about crossing the Haiti border and next thing you know we are talking about the OP wasting his time and Panama. Got to luv dr1.................

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I have not traveled to Haiti from the DR as a tourist so I have no idea how it works..... Malaria is endemic in the border region as is cholera. Just by going you will exposing yourself to circumstances that you may not be anticipating.

Come on, Captain Panic! Although there may be a remote chance of catching one of these illnesses, he's more likely to get hit by a moto-concho if he stays in Puerto Plata!

jonbon

May 26, 2017
I have not traveled to Haiti from the DR as a tourist so I have no idea how it works. I have left other countries as a tourist with the intention to return after a short period and in all of those instances, I needed to let immigration know that I was returning, so that I didn't have to pay another fee upon reentry. I usually got a different exit stamp in my passport than someone who was on their way out for good. If you go, please come back and let us know what happens at the border. You should expect to pay some sort of exit tax to the DR (you are after all exiting the country). You will certainly have to pay the exit tax at the airport when you fly home. The $20/$25 cost at the airport may or may not be included in the price of your airline ticket.

Now for the practicalities of a trip such as this. You need to remember where you are. You are not in Sweden any longer. It is not a forgone conclusion that you can undertake this type of a trip risk free. These two countries are rife with institutional corruption. The border region is very much an isolated frontier. You will be a long way from help and the support systems offered by your country's diplomatic mission in the DR. The "criminal element" is omnipresent and this risk is heightened somewhat the further away from "civilization" you go. If you go, at the very least I would inform your embassy here in the DR that you are traveling to Haiti, that you expect to return on such and such a date and you will advise them when you reenter the DR. Not a good idea to put yourself in a situation where you can just disappear off the map and no one knows where you were going or the route you were taking to get there and back.

If you were to park a rental car in the DR and then crossed the border, whose to say your rental car will still be where you parked it when you get back? Since this trip will take more than a day, anything you take with you and leave in the rental car may not be there when you get back to it. Having lots of money with you can allow you to "buy" your way out of a bad situation but can also make you a more likely target for inflated corruption and robbery. Both countries have a well founded reputation for foreigners encountering difficulties of one type or another.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go, if that is what you wish to do. I'm not saying that you will be accosted or become the victim of crime or corruption. I am saying that these things do happen from time to time and the probability of something like this transpiring is much greater on this side trip than travelling between say Sweden and Norway for a day or two. This trip by its very nature, involves an elevated level of risk to your person and property. Malaria is endemic in the border region as is cholera. Just by going you will exposing yourself to circumstances that you may not be anticipating. I can't tell you to go or not to go. That's up to you. Potentially, a trip of this nature, in this political climate, between these two countries at this time, is not an easy and necessarily straight forward adventure. It can turn into a really big fiasco on either side of the border without a whole lot of forewarning. "Your eyes need to be wide open."

Good luck whatever you decide.

Thank you :)

I understand the risk and if the car is stolen it's ok. I paid 70$ extra for the insurance - I video recorded when the thrifty guy said that if the car is stolen or if it I crash it completely or whatever I don't need to pay anything.

I have also insurance for my valuables up to 2000$ so it's good.

When it comes to getting robbed or kidnapped I understand the risks - but I recommend people being aware of this all round the world.

I have been in 119 countries and only countries where someone has managed to rob me is in my home country Sweden (some guys stole about 2$ from me when I was a teenager ) and in USA new York some guy tried to rob me with the knife and managed to get 10$.

So I think you need to use your common sense everywhere.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It is everyone's prerogative to assess their own degree of comfort when presented with the facts and potential risks. One cannot have too much information and I am just attempting to bring to the forefront of this discussion considerations that I have not seen posted elsewhere in the thread and thus might be useful to the OP. The risk of being struck by lightening is small but it happens often enough to be a consideration when one finds themselves in a situation with the potential.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/haiti

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
.....Having relatives in Dajabon, I have been to the bridge,that is the border crossing.....Something you might what to consider, that is a bus to Dajabon... then walk across the bridge, maybe that is all you will want of Haiti... anyway the entry fees and exit fees are small in the overall picture of things....Doc.....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Having been in 119 countries so far, I understand your need of such a trip to "get a coffee and a newspaper" in Haiti to reach 120. By all means, have at it, you are more prepared than 99% of other such travelers.

jonbon

May 26, 2017
Thank you for all the help :)

But if I pay the DR exit fee 20$ and I have already paid the 10$ tourist card.

About the re entering to DR...does anyone has any experience do I need to pay the 10$ again when coming back from Haiti and a 20$ again when I fly out? I'll be flying to Europe so I guess the exit fee is not in the ticket Price.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
It is everyone's prerogative to assess their own degree of comfort when presented with the facts and potential risks. One cannot have too much information and I am just attempting to bring to the forefront of this discussion considerations that I have not seen posted elsewhere in the thread and thus might be useful to the OP. The risk of being struck by lightening is small but it happens often enough to be a consideration when one finds themselves in a situation with the potential.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/haiti

One on the list is avoid sharing body fluids. Many go to the DR and Haiti for the purpose of just that!
Der Fish

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Thank you for all the help :)

But if I pay the DR exit fee 20$ and I have already paid the 10$ tourist card.

About the re entering to DR...does anyone has any experience do I need to pay the 10$ again when coming back from Haiti and a 20$ again when I fly out? I'll be flying to Europe so I guess the exit fee is not in the ticket Price.

Sadly, the exit fee from the DR, even to Europe, is a lottery depending on your airline. Best to keep $20 with you just in case.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
At the risk of being wrong for the third time in this thread, everything I read says that you would pay the $10 fee to re-enter the DR. The logic is that you left the DR for another country and now you are re-entering. Yet , and I could be wrong a fourth time, that re-entry after a short time in Haitia does not necessarily reset your 30 days in the DR.

This also could be one of those grey areas where each time you do it, you get different results.

As for an exit fee, I have never paid a separate exit fee outside of what might be in my ticket price already when leaving the DR.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Your (and every other country's that needs one) tourist card is good for 30 days.

The exit fee starts to kick in after 30 days and the exit fee depends upon how long you overstay. Less than 30 days should not incur an exit fee when leaving the DR.

A side point: People have said that going into Haiti and then re-entering the DR the same day does not "reset" that 30 day counter in the DR.

Sorry you are wrong talking about every other country and thirty days. Colombia and Panama both ar 90 days I know for sure and my memory says the same for Mexico and all of central America
Der Fish

I am wrong again!. Oh well. It is good to learn.

Where is the cry about discrimination that other some countries are treated differently?

Oh wait, a country can pick and choose how they want to deal with vairous people crossing their borders. What a novel concept.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Winde is saying that any tourist to RD requiring a tourist card is issued a card that is good for 30 days.

Derf is saying that tourists entering Colombia, Panama etc. are issued a 90 day tourist card. Two completely different scenarios.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Correct me if I am wrong, but Winde is saying that any tourist to RD requiring a tourist card is issued a card that is good for 30 days.

Derf is saying that tourists entering Colombia, Panama etc. are issued a 90 day tourist card. Two completely different scenarios.

There is no mention that Colombia and Panama get 90 days for a tourist card. It simply states that those countries whose citizens can get a tourist cards get one for 30 days. (Very odd that any 90 day countries are not mentioned, or do they simply not exist? )

Some countries are exempt from the need for tourist cards. Colombia and Panama do not appear to be two of those countries, either. Other countries need a visa for their citizens to enter the DR.

It also states that a tourist card can only be used once. I would interpret that as meaning if you leave the DR, you need a new tourist card. (Going to Haiti may be a special case.)

http://www.dgii.gov.do/tarjetaTuristica/en/about/Paginas/default.aspx

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Next time you buy a ticket look at the breakdown of the fare and it will be listed.

found an old receipt ............. maybe take a GOOD look at the breakdown

• Dominican Republic Departure Tax: 20.00

• Dom. Republic Airport Authority Fee: 30.00

• Dom. Republic Airport Infrastructure Fee: 32.60

Plus for non residents $10 to get in the country. No wonder tickets are so high.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
There is no mention that Colombia and Panama get 90 days for a tourist card. It simply states that those countries whose citizens can get a tourist cards get one for 30 days. (Very odd that any 90 day countries are not mentioned, or do they simply not exist? )

Some countries are exempt from the need for tourist cards. Colombia and Panama do not appear to be two of those countries, either. Other countries need a visa for their citizens to enter the DR.

It also states that a tourist card can only be used once. I would interpret that as meaning if you leave the DR, you need a new tourist card. (Going to Haiti may be a special case.)

http://www.dgii.gov.do/tarjetaTuristica/en/about/Paginas/default.aspx

They simply do not exist. Derf was talking about tourists entering Colombia and Panama, not tourists from Colombia and Panama entering RD.