Boston To POP

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I am shocked. I shopped and shopped prices to see if I could find a lower fare. Finally the dates I wanted were sold out. I finally booked a fare on AA with a transfer in San Juan for 728 per person. This fare is incredible. I never paid so much. I know there are all inclusive trips from Boston to POP for about $850 per week and up. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get cheaper fights going forward?
Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Fly out of NYC area?

Take a shuttle to NYC and fly outta there.

Or get to Montreal and take one of those charters flights.

In Boston, AA has you cornered.

For that money you can fly to Europe and back, or Japan!!

HB :D:D

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
BostonMary said:
I am shocked. I shopped and shopped prices to see if I could find a lower fare. Finally the dates I wanted were sold out. I finally booked a fare on AA with a transfer in San Juan for 728 per person. This fare is incredible. I never paid so much. I know there are all inclusive trips from Boston to POP for about $850 per week and up. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get cheaper fights going forward?
Thanks

It looks like you could save over US $400 right now by flying into SDQ instead of POP.

clara

Jan 6, 2005
Another idea could be to fly to Boston to Santo Domingo. There are great deals BOS to SDQ for March, about USD 300 round trip for a direct flight.

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
Try from Manchester, NH

Mary, may be too late to help you (Unless you have a fully refundable fare), but Continental from Manchester, NH is running a little over $500. I can nearly always fly for same or less to POP from Manchester on Continental.

Manchester is getting quite a bit of traffic from people wanting to avoid Logan.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Cheap Bus to NYC from Boston.

BostonMary,

If you are adventurous, and have the time, take the "chicken bus", as my sister-in-law calls it, from Chinatown Boston to Chinatown New York City, all for $10 one way. This way you can get to JFK and have the opportunity of a cheap airfare.

The buses are the same type as used by the major brand name carriers. My sister-in-law calls them the chicken buses because some of the Chinese passengers have on occasion traveled with their livestock.

Link: Lucky Star Bus.

http://www.chinatown-bus.com/lucky-star-flyer.htm

Regards,
PJT

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
Charter flights Boston/POP

BostonMary,

I share your frustration with AA's high fares on this route. I always check alternatives but, in the end, usually just pay up for AA because my vacation time is too valuable to waste driving to NY or taking a bus to Sosua from SDQ.

For your reference here are a couple of alternatives you may not know about:

Two companies offer weekly charter flights BOS/POP in the winter. Links to their web sites are below. They both offer a "flight only" option as well as hotel packages. Just like the scheduled airlines they raise and lower fares according to demand. Sometimes they're a bargain and sometimes not. Look at a couple of different dates and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.gwvtravel.com/
http://ww2.tntvacations.com

Also, Spiritair has a new service from Providence to SDQ via Ft Lauderdale. The best deals are for dates at least 30 days in the future:
http://www.spiritair.com/

Happy travelling,
Ben

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Bingo

Outstanding, PJT. I plan to fly to Boston in July. Round trip Santo Domingo to New York with chicken bus to Boston would shave a few pesos off the trip. :cool: I could also work in a visit with my sister and niece in Nueva York and do some shopping in the Big Apple. AA really does have one by the ...um.. throat on the Boston route.

TANGENT ALERT!!!

In another chapter of my life I was travelling on a packed upcountry bus in Thailand. As we approached a curve the bus slowed. I looked out the window to see what was up and there was a tiny bent over, betel nut chewing elderly woman squatting by the side of the road next to a box of ducks. I wondered where they could possibly put her. Simple. Several passengers put the ducks on the roof of the bus and then climbed up on the roof and joined the other passengers already there. The squeezed the lady onto the bus and off we went.

PJT said:
BostonMary,

If you are adventurous, and have the time, take the "chicken bus", as my sister-in-law calls it, from Chinatown Boston to Chinatown New York City, all for $10 one way. This way you can get to JFK and have the opportunity of a cheap airfare.

The buses are the same type as used by the major brand name carriers. My sister-in-law calls them the chicken buses because some of the Chinese passengers have on occasion traveled with their livestock.

Link: Lucky Star Bus.

http://www.chinatown-bus.com/lucky-star-flyer.htm

Regards,
PJT

seksek15

Sep 30, 2004
Boston - puerto plata

Hi guys -- I also fly very frequently from boston to puerto plata. However, recently the prices have gone crazy. I used to be able to get an all inclusive vacation from 500-600 bucks. Now that won't even cover the cost of the airfare. I've been checking it out and for my flight only it is 600. So I checked out JFK (and taking the chinatown bus) and it goes down to 400. Then I checked out jetblue and a nonstop from JFK to santiago is 240...but do you think it is worth it....Im traveling 4 hours to NY then I go to santiago at 2 AM -- and how on earth do I get to sosua from there?? If I were traveling with at least one other person -- I think it would be fine. I know the dominican pretty well and speak spanish well but I still look like a tourist so they love to take advantage of me.
Tell me if you have any ideas for me.