Bowling Alleys

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I know one in south SD called Sebelen Entertainment Center but is that only one or is there other one around? Someone told me there is 2nd one but I'm not sure so can anyone confirm?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I know one in south SD called Sebelen Entertainment Center but is that only one or is there other one around? Someone told me there is 2nd one but I'm not sure so can anyone confirm?
I think that one is family owned. I have seen multiple times when Dominicans win some bowling tournament in the DR and elsewhere, and often the Dominican team includes someone with the last name Sebelen.

As with many things in the DR, if it wasn’t for that family bowling would probably not exist in the DR. That could also be the reason there aren’t many bowling alleys in the country, not many other families (or even businesses) interested in creating others. Not even the government.

With that said, there goes another idea. Santiago could use a bowling alley of its own.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
wow, in the mid to late 90's the embassy had teams, full house most every night. I recall the place was part of a theatre, second floor?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
wow, in the mid to late 90's the embassy had teams, full house most every night. I recall the place was part of a theatre, second floor?
That’s the Comedy Club or something like that. Now they’re somewhere else. There is another Comedy Something in Ágora Mall on the top floor near to what once was the movie theater.

Reactions: banzai

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Sebelen is definitely open on Lincoln, but it is reasonably run down and basic.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That’s the Comedy Club or something like that. Now they’re somewhere else. There is another Comedy Something in Ágora Mall on the top floor near to what once was the movie theater.
I haven't been to Agora in a while. Are you saying the Caribbean Cinemas movie theater isn't there any more?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Palacio del Cine. They went belly up quite recently. Covid change the going to movie theaters habit (basically, people that would had gone to a movie thester before Covid, instead decide to watch a movie at home), though I’m surprised they lasted as long as they did.

Technically, Caribbean Cinemas now has a monopoly.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Palacio del Cine. They wentbelly up quite recently. Covid change the going to movie theaters habit, though I’m surprised they lasted as long as they did.
Just the one in Agora, or the entire company?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
All their movie theaters shut their doors except for the one in Sambil.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
All their movie theaters shut their doors except for the one in Sambil.
Holy cow! That's more than a few. I wonder if Caribbean will step in and take those spaces.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I have always wanted to build a bowling alley in Sosua and specialize in midnight laser Hooker Bowl. Nobody wears bowling shoes....in fact, platform heels, the higher the better, are required. Shorts must already show 2/3 of your butt, and mini-skirts must be worn commando. Nail salon on premises to repair those 2" talons. There's your business idea: now, go make your fortune! 😂😂😂

Reactions: banzai

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
But I checked their website, they are still open at different locations... Hmmm?
IMG_9877.jpeg