Bribing a Public Officer in the Perfomance of his Public Duties

NoMoreSnow

Apr 10, 2002
no under-the-counter deals

Just a keen interest to know the laws of any country that I travel in ....

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Re: Mr Guzman!!

NoMoreSnow said:
A simple yes or no answer, please.

In the last 5 years have you or your firm defended anyone charged under this law?

Thanks

Our firm does not handle criminal cases.

As I have commented before on this board, my hope is that sooner or later our laws are properly enforced. There has been some improvement in the last few years in the enforcement of intellectual property laws, tax laws and even traffic laws. The role of the Supreme Court as the last arbiter of legality has been acknowledged by the Congress and the Presidency in several cases where laws were found to be inconstitutional. This is a tremendous change from the time when President Balaguer used to state on national television that "the Constitution is just a piece of paper".

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
not so bad

I have both bribed and/or offered to bribe an official both successfully and unsuscessfully. With AMET, I wouldn't reccomend it, they might haul you to jail just to show how straight they are. Regular policemen, they are as corrupt as politicians, they'll take a "mordida" (bite) that will increase depending on the severity of the accusation.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
this website has over 4 years of archived information from both the daily news section and the message boards. you might want to familiarize yourself with it .

mob

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
to nomoresnow

AMET is the Autoridad Metropolitana de Transporte (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) is an elite organization presently headed by the famous (or infamous) Candelier, which is trying to bring civilization to our roads and highways, a difficult, if not impossible task, but they are trying. They do not take bribes and are very rough sometimes when you violate the traffic laws. I've found it beneficial to apologyze when stopped (it's happened twice, once for jaywalking) and tell them how I"m a tourist (I don't look Dominican) and don't well know the rules, it's always worked :)