Bringing a child to U.S. for school

lliljestrom

Jan 11, 2006
I would like to know if it is possible to bring a 9 year old child from the Dominican Republic to attend school in the United States? We are both American citizens living in the U.S. The child's mother has given her approval. If it is possible, what do we need to do? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
I would like to know if it is possible to bring a 9 year old child from the Dominican Republic to attend school in the United States? We are both American citizens living in the U.S. The child's mother has given her approval. If it is possible, what do we need to do? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I was trying to find out this information to a while ago and I'm pretty sure I read on the INS website that you can't bring anyone over for elementary school, just high school. If you find anything out, let me know.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Sounds like you would have to send the child to a private school.

Restrictions on Attending Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
Congress passed a law in 1996 that placed restrictions on foreign students in U.S. public elementary (kindergarten through eighth grades) and secondary (grades nine through twelve) schools. Secondary school is also called high school.

The restrictions are given below:
  • prohibits foreign students from attending public elementary schools or publicly-funded adult education programs
  • limits secondary school attendance to twelve months
  • requires secondary school students to pay the school the full, unsubsidized per capita cost (cost for each student) of education
Here's the link Legal Requirements for F-1 Foreign Students in Public Schools