Bringing in a used 19 inch flatscreen.. will they give me a hard time in customs>??

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I've seen people searched leaving PUJ, and almost got searched myself but the porter got it through, (my wife was walking a bit behind, and it looked like I had four bags just for me, he told the customs guy it was for two people). It's definitely best to pay the guys a few bucks to carry your stuff through, far less chance of being checked, and it's good to support the local workers.

Are you seriously "tipping" people to not have your bags checked upon leaving the country?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
And they put their hands out asking for tips right under a big official sign (POP airport) that says in English and Spanish that no one is to ask for tips and that tips should not be given. (an approximation). Always made me laugh. Welcome to the DR!! and let the insanity begin.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I brought back a 20" screen last year thru Santiago no problems. Of course they saw it in the scanner but they never seem to care.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I recently brought my 21" monitor through STI. No problem. I wouldn't worry about it unless it's something little bigger like 32"...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Walmart,Target,Big Lots,all have BIG suitcases.
The "Tape Measure" is your friend.
You will have to take th TV out of the box it comes in.
"Pack Well" Grasshopper!
CC

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
It should fit in biggest Samsonite luggage. I've travel with 32" TV before and it fit perfectly on my Samsonite.

Nothing like a big tv being used as a computer monitor! Movies look awesome!

At STI I have seen a few random shakedowns by a guy standing after the xray machine, but mostly everyone just goes on through. The xray operator seems like they could care less about what is in your bags!

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Nothing like a big tv being used as a computer monitor! Movies look awesome!

At STI I have seen a few random shakedowns by a guy standing after the xray machine, but mostly everyone just goes on through. The xray operator seems like they could care less about what is in your bags!

With off brand TV price dropping like crazy in US I always wonder why people not using TV as their monitors. I was going to get 32"/40" Sceptre $200/$300 from Walmart but I settled on brand new Laptop. Perhaps when I go back I'll bring in 32" for my personal use.

Past few months I've been constantly going back and forth. And STI is hit or miss. Some times they open up my bags and question my bottle of sojus and hot sauces and some times they pick me out of the crowd and let me pass.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
SO if they pull me out and do decide to be harsh bringing in this 19 inch used tv do i argue and tell them it s not for sale but for donation, or am I forced to pay?... I only paid $200 for it 2 or so years ago, so I d sooner dump it than pay $100 more for fees at the airport...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
If you are forced to dump it.....BREAK it first..

B in Santiago

This...

Just tell them you are breaking it first and dumping it. Say it doesn't worth the tax/headache they are going to imply. It worked out for my friend bringing in 24" TV.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
amstellite - how often have you been stopped coming in?

i don't think you'll have a problem with a used tv carried in in your suitcase. i bring electronics that way all the time. as long as you dont' bring 10 tvs in, you should be fine.

and waytogo is correct. BREAK IT! last time i was at the consulate, they wouldn't let me take my earphones in (i know about cell phones but the earpods? really?) so i broke them and asked her to throw them away - she was really ****ed because she probably wanted them for herself (they only cost 70 pesos, but still)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I agree,Break It!
BUT!
When I used to live in Thailand,a "Brit" tourist bought a nice small statue of a "Thai Budda".
When he got to the airport,he was told that you cannot remove images of "Budda" from the country.After "bitching and Moaning",he agreed,and smashed the statue on the ground,and ground it under his feet!
He was immediately arrested and taken to jail.Seems that
Desicrating a statue of "Budda" is even woese than trying to remove a statue of "Budda"!
A "Flat Screen TV" is consided a "Religious Artifact" to Dominicans,that and "Cell Phones",and "Nike" tennis shoes!
CCCCCCCCCC

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
i get stopped quite a bit as i always bring in two of those three-tiered zipped bags you get at the cheap stores for 12 bucks but fit a ton of stuff , plus the carryon,,,,I bring in all the kids clothes people give me and all the other stuff, so when customs see me coming through with all these bags and staying only for 6 days.. their alarm bells go off, despite me saying it s not for " negocio"and it s for the poor kids right outside the airport in La caleta... but they dont care about that,,

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
i get stopped quite a bit as i always bring in two of those three-tiered zipped bags you get at the cheap stores for 12 bucks but fit a ton of stuff , plus the carryon,,,,I bring in all the kids clothes people give me and all the other stuff, so when customs see me coming through with all these bags and staying only for 6 days.. their alarm bells go off, despite me saying it s not for " negocio"and it s for the poor kids right outside the airport in La caleta... but they dont care about that,,

If you don't ever want to be bothered. My advice is invest on cheap-o golf bag and golf travel bag on the used market and empty the golf bag separator out and put all your clothes and other stuff there and two other suitcases. I know it won't work in STI sometimes because they have X-ray machine that sometimes work but I heard other airport don't have one. So give away your goods in style.

Wish you luck!