Bringing $ to DR and cell phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
That is very important advice to tell your bank and your credit card company where you are going. Then there should be no problem using an atm or your credit card. A $5 atm fee is not that much when you consider it is less stressful than carrying around large amounts of cash.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Telling the bank that one will be abroad using a credit card is standard advice for traveling outside of one's home country, regardless where one lives.

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
Some credit card companies charge a foreign exchange transaction fee while others do not. I stopped using my American Express card overseas in favor of Capital One, which gave me a fair exchange rate as well.

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
If you hate paying the atm fees, open an account with Charles Schwab. When you use your Schwab card in an ATM, they refund ALL the atm fees. Or so I have heard.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you hate paying the atm fees, open an account with Charles Schwab. When you use your Schwab card in an ATM, they refund ALL the atm fees. Or so I have heard.

We have an account with PNC in the US, and in our particular circumstances they refund all ATM charges we incur anywhere in the world. Other banks may offer similar benefits, but it's normally tied into the amount of money you have in your accounts.

I don't like using the ATM due to problems we've had in the past with no money coming out of the machine while the money was deducted from our accounts. All straightened out eventually, but no less aggravating. Add the possibility of someone cloning the card and cleaning out our account. We made sure that our checking account linked to the ATM card did not have overdraft coverage from our savings account as additional protection.

We bring down cash, plus deposit checks at regular intervals into our DR dollar account, and withdraw as needed. This, of course, doesn't help the tourist.

Apr 7, 2014
Xoom.com and wire urself money.from ur own account simple $5 each transaction. Wire urself $2000 from the airport. Pick it up when u arrive with ur fAmily.

Yodel Gruelsohn, Organ Meatmaster

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Thread is almost two months old. OP's visit should have ended December 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.