British tourists stage sit in complaining about local Dominicans behaviour

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Apparently this is a newish government sponsored deal for the locals. $75. For the room and the government pays $40 of that for them they come by the bus load and fill rooms with 5-10 people....all of them all inclusive

This was stated on tripadvisor.is this true?

the government pays for people to stay in hotels? maybe if it paid for them to go to finishing school, the would not be pooping in pools...

darn..

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
the government pays for people to stay in hotels? maybe if it paid for them to go to finishing school, the would not be pooping in pools...

darn..

The gov't supposedly does not have enough funds to provide the people with a decent education
but they sure as hell have to provide them with entertainment. I just don't get it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The gov't supposedly does not have enough funds to provide the people with a decent education
but they sure as hell have to provide them with entertainment. I just don't get it.

that has got to be a misprint. it defies comprehension. can someone link me to that information? maybe it is government's way of inflating tourism statistics?

Dec 26, 2011
Apparently this is a newish government sponsored deal for the locals. $75. For the room and the government pays $40 of that for them they come by the bus load and fill rooms with 5-10 people....all of them all inclusive

This was stated on tripadvisor.is this true?

Sounds like BS to me. Got anything to support this?

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Idiots making stuff up, thats about it.

Obviously the goverment isnt paying for people to go to resorts... thats just stupid. What probably happened was some travel agency or promotions company put an ad in the paper for a package deal to a resort with a halfway decent price.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Back in the early days of Puj/Bavaro there was some kind of a deal between Barcelo Bavaro and the government. There was a small percentage of rooms reserved for local traffic on certain weekends. Was there a subsidy of some sort....who knows. Maybe.
There might be some obscure written agreement filed in a dusty office in one of those "gubmint" (lol)... buildings in SDQ.
Or maybe it is a new initiative. Gorgon's suggestion about them inflating tourist stats sounds as good a possibility as any.