Budget for relocation and then...living!?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I agree, once again.
My previous post, also saying take it slow.. My meaning in take it slow is not to rush in buying stuff, getting everything at once. First try if you like it here on a daily basis as it for sure is different than a holiday on shorter terms.
If you deside to stay here, you will for sure go step by step to build yourself a life here.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Thanks yuall for excellent advice!

I'll keep it in mind and i will do some exploration on my visit in April.

HB, two comments:
1) For me, RD$4,000,000 is a lot of money! Most Swedes don't have more than maybe equal to RD$100,000.
2) I totally agree that living in Sweden is not part of living. Living in Sweden is not aliving at all. I have spent more than 40 years of my life in Sweden, so I know.

General comments:
My present contract in Saudi-Arabia is slowly coming to an end, so I will very soon have to return to Sweden, unless I go somewhere else... So Carina, I am probably going to move to DR quite soon, if I move at all.

About being "frugal", I am not too happy about that idea. I have not been working my a$$ off in Saudi to enjoy a frugal life. I am used to travelling to other continents 3 to 5 times a year. Cutting down my travel to only once every two years will be very difficult, very difficult indeed.

I understand what you guys mean by taking it slowly, holding on to my money etc. But for me, a re-location to DR IS a one way street. If I do that I can not go back to Sweden. After one year in DR and turrning 50 in June 2006, I will be stone dead on the Swedish job market. I couldn't even get a job as janitor. So I can not "try it out". Either I move or I don't move. Right or wrong, but that is the way I feel about it. And that is my anxiety about the move.

Anyway, I have received excellent advise and I do appreciate it!!!

Hasta luego,
John

PS. Can't help making a comparison... I talked to my Philippino assistant today. You can buy a good house in the country side in the Philippines for only equal to RD$500,000. And remaining savings of mine would be more than enough to retire right now and never work again. And I could still make excursions to Hong Kong etc, as flying is very cheap in South East Asia. Hm.. Maybe I have been travelling in the wrong direction?

Last edited:

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Voyager, I understand you completely. Don't let yourself get discouraged from moving to DR. Just don't be so eager to part with a lifetime of hard work and sacrifice -> YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY!!!
I know you need to settle down/in once here and you would like it to be ASAP but why the rush? Even if you are here for the long haul you need not be IN A RUSH! Stop and smell the roses or carbon monoxide but in either case j u s t - s l o w - d o w n. I can't say it or stress it enough! It doesn't matter what you decide to do or where you choose to move to, you need to give yourself time to make the right decision. You said:
Voyager said:
I understand what you guys mean by taking it slowly, holding on to my money etc. But for me, a re-location to DR IS a one way street. If I do that I can not go back to Sweden. After one year in DR and turrning 50 in June 2006, I will be stone dead on the Swedish job market. I couldn't even get a job as janitor. So I can not "try it out". Either I move or I don't move. Right or wrong, but that is the way I feel about it. And that is my anxiety about the move.

You have to be right the first time and can't afford a mistake by your own admission. Why put yourself at risk by rushing into things?

John:- frugal may means the difference between having good quality of life or being miserable. The degree of frugalness (made up word?) you chose to adhere to is your choice but some discretion in spending needs to be adopted to enjoy a continuation of joy here in DR :)

If after all is said and analyzed, you decide you'll venture to the Philippines. Remember that sometimes things are not how they appear to be. For instance, you quoted RD$500k for a house in the country side in the Philippines but did you know that you can get a house under same conditions here - country side in DR is 'el campo'. In fact, you can get a house even cheaper than that in some 'campos' in the DR. There are houses in the city for RD$500k but you probably wouldn't want to own'em or live in'em. Well, what I'm trying to say is, do as you please, just do it slow.

GOOD LUCK John.

NotLurking

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
NotLurking said:
Voyager, I understand you completely. Don't let yourself get discouraged from moving to DR. Just don't be so eager to part with a lifetime of hard work and sacrifice -> YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY!!!
I know you need to settle down/in once here and you would like it to be ASAP but why the rush? Even if you are here for the long haul you need not be IN A RUSH! Stop and smell the roses or carbon monoxide but in either case j u s t - s l o w - d o w n. I can't say it or stress it enough! It doesn't matter what you decide to do or where you choose to move to, you need to give yourself time to make the right decision. You said:

You have to be right the first time and can't afford a mistake by your own admission. Why put yourself at risk by rushing into things?

John:- frugal may means the difference between having good quality of life or being miserable. The degree of frugalness (made up word?) you chose to adhere to is your choice but some discretion in spending needs to be adopted to enjoy a continuation of joy here in DR :)

If after all is said and analyzed, you decide you'll venture to the Philippines. Remember that sometimes things are not how they appear to be. For instance, you quoted RD$500k for a house in the country side in the Philippines but did you know that you can get a house under same conditions here - country side in DR is 'el campo'. In fact, you can get a house even cheaper than that in some 'campos' in the DR. There are houses in the city for RD$500k but you probably wouldn't want to own'em or live in'em. Well, what I'm trying to say is, do as you please, just do it slow.

GOOD LUCK John.

NotLurking

"NotLurking", thanks again for good and down-to-earth advise. Whilst flattering myself of being rational and analytic, I do have a tendency sometimes to get over-excited / over-anxious. As you so rightly say, why rush things? I have been racing around, bloodshot eyes, to fill more than a lifetime already, and the move to DR is partly to sloooow down. Gracias! /John

duck

Mar 20, 2005
www.manley.de
Voyager said:
"NotLurking", thanks again for good and down-to-earth advise. Whilst flattering myself of being rational and analytic, I do have a tendency sometimes to get over-excited / over-anxious. As you so rightly say, why rush things? I have been racing around, bloodshot eyes, to fill more than a lifetime already, and the move to DR is partly to sloooow down. Gracias! /John

I'll have to agree with "NotLurking" on this one. I just moved to Manila in January, and have a place in the DR. In the "Campo" you can definately buy something cheaper, but be careful in the Philippines you cannot own property. OK, its possible to get around this, but in th DR you can own property yourself. Also, you won't get as far on interest income - in the DR you can almost get on USD or EUR what they pay on Philippine Pesos here - and the PhP depreciates as well.

Both are beatiful countries with beatiful people, and are much more slow-paced than Europe (and have better weather ....). I drew the same comparisson, but decided the Philippines is too far from my family (New York) for a permanent relocation so I will go in a few years when my contract is up.

The beer here is as good as Presidente, and a hell of a lot cheaper. I was in Coron 2 weeks ago and paid 25 PhP (about 50 US cents) a bottle. I had to really look hard at the invoice because I thought the waitress forgot half of what we drank. Other things are more expensive - I almost had a heart attack when I got my first electric bill (OK, but the power is always available ;-)

Go slow, and definately rent for a while. If you still feel the urge for frequent intercontinental travel, I would however consider staying in your current gig until you get that out of your system no matter where you may settle.

Cheers,
Duck

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Voyager, Relax, Keep your money safe back home. Come here for that long, well deserved vacation. Stop going crazy trying to figure out the rest of your days, and your retirement. When you get here, let me know, you'll get some job interviews, drink some rum, hang out with your lady, and come to a well reasoned decision. Your money is plenty to get started here, especially if you're young, yes 48 is young, single, and up for the adventure. We will definetly have a drinks with Voyager get together upon your arrival. Let us know when you come in.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Naufrago said:
Voyager, Relax, Keep your money safe back home. Come here for that long, well deserved vacation. Stop going crazy trying to figure out the rest of your days, and your retirement. When you get here, let me know, you'll get some job interviews, drink some rum, hang out with your lady, and come to a well reasoned decision. Your money is plenty to get started here, especially if you're young, yes 48 is young, single, and up for the adventure. We will definetly have a drinks with Voyager get together upon your arrival. Let us know when you come in.

Gracias! I have PM'd you. Lets see what happens. /John