builders

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I forgot the floors.

The typical construction here consists of using the original dirt that is in place after digging the footings and the dirt that was removed in the trenches for the footings to be the base for the concrete that is poured to make the floor. I have yet to see this dirt compacted before applying the concrete. There are times, because of the slow construction, that this dirt is left there and the weather causes the dirt to compact over time and 4 or 5 months later the floor might be poured. there is no re-bar used in this construction.

My suggestion is;

After the last course is laid where you will pour the floor I would drill holes at one foot intervals 2 inches down from the top of the block. Insert re-bar thet has been cut a few inches wider then the room you are placing them in. These holes are drilled in all four walls and after you have the re-bar inserted you tie them together where they crisscross. Sections of re-bar pounded into the ground at different areas and tied to the crisscrossed re-bar will help insure for a floor that won't cave or shift at a later date. Like the roof the floor must be vibrated and allowed to cured for a good pour. There is always the possibility that someone in this country has a screed vibrator and with this tool you can build a perfect floor and roof.

For the floor, if pouring 4 inches, you will need about 15 meters of concrete = RD$ 15,200 and 7 quintals of re-bar = RD$ 6,300.

With the other material you are talking a total cost of material of RD$ 75,774.00 to RD$ 149,919.00 = US$ 2,368.00 to US$ 4,685.00.

Rick