Building Green in DR

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
First Green Building

I think this is the first green building, not the Orange building. At least the people of Grupo Banas built it to be Leed certified.

It is the building of the Grupo Banas in the Honduras neighborhood of Santo Domingo.

o6gxnr.jpg

To read about it, see
Edificio Administrativo Grupo Banas / Daniel Pons | Plataforma Arquitectura

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
The only one talking BS is you, since it reeks that you have not a zilch of an idea why the Orange building is GREEN.

And no, the panels were added as compliment to a greener energy solution within the building interior and areas.

If you really want to speak with some substance on this one building alone, take the time and find out what made it the first Green building in the DR.

96 solar panels do lower your carbon footprint but does not make you green, even if you can take nice pics of the building. There is a lot more to it. But we don't really have to discuss over this, I will bow to any serious international green certification and that's it.

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
Te lo dejo de tarea...

A sus ordenes se?or:

Certified Project Directory

If you organize list by country and go to page 14 you will
see the amount of certified buildings in the DR by the
most important green certification agency in the US: none

But it doesn't have to be LEED, any serious green building
certification agency will do, let's share the homework.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I think this is the first green building, not the Orange building. At least the people of Grupo Banas built it to be Leed certified.

It is the building of the Grupo Banas in the Honduras neighborhood of Santo Domingo.

o6gxnr.jpg

To read about it, see
Edificio Administrativo Grupo Banas / Daniel Pons | Plataforma Arquitectura

EDIFICIO GRUPO BANASSanto DomingoDOLEED-NC v2009

<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; ">
</tbody>

The Orange building was started on 2003 and was not certified LEED for the reason that at the time there was not authority for the certifying entity to do so for the DR. For LEED the plans must be submitted prior to construction and after for all the GREEN stuff to pass muster. The building was finalized on 2010 due to the special cooling coils and temperature exchange hardware that was manufactured in France just for this building alone. You can see part of the cooling coils housings on the external part, those that look like boxes of bricks on the side of the building. The whole lighting control system was installed after even the Grupo Banas had theirs open for biz, the system was also cutting tech for the year in Europe from Siemens.

The Grupo Banas building was started on June 2007 and was able to submit the paperwork for LEED certification prior to construction and finish time on 2009.

It stands corrected that the Orange building was the first GREEN building in the DR, if anything Grupo Banas can claim the first LEED certified GREEN building in the DR, but that's about it.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
A sus ordenes se?or:

Certified Project Directory

If you organize list by country and go to page 14 you will
see the amount of certified buildings in the DR by the
most important green certification agency in the US: none

But it doesn't have to be LEED, any serious green building
certification agency will do, let's share the homework.

Drag a column header and drop it here to group by that column

</tbody>

</tbody>

Project NameCityStateCountryLEED SystemOwner OrganizationDetail
<input name="RadGridProjects$ctl01$ctl02$ctl02$ctl04" type="text" size="10" style="margin: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); ">
Filter.gif
<input name="RadGridProjects$ctl01$ctl02$ctl02$ctl08" type="text" size="10" style="margin: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); width: 50px; ">
Filter.gif
<input name="RadGridProjects$ctl01$ctl02$ctl02$ctl10" type="text" size="10" style="margin: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); width: 20px; ">
Filter.gif
<input name="RadGridProjects$ctl01$ctl02$ctl02$ctl12" type="text" value="DO" size="10" style="margin: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); width: 20px; ">
Filter.gif
<input name="RadGridProjects$ctl01$ctl02$ctl02$ctl16" type="text" size="10" style="margin: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); ">
Filter.gif
<input name="RadGridProjects$ctl01$ctl02$ctl02$ctl44" type="text" size="10" style="margin: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); ">
Filter.gif
Go to page: < 1 > | Displaying page 1 of 1, projects 1 to 3 of 3.
AGORA MALLSANTO DOMINGODOLEED-CS v2009
Anacaona 27Santo DomingoDOLEED NC 2.2Rodriguez-Sandoval & AssociatesDetail
EDIFICIO GRUPO BANASSanto DomingoDOLEED-NC v2009

<colgroup style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; "><col style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; "><col style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; "><col style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; "><col style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; "><col style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; "><col style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; "><col style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; "></colgroup><thead style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; ">
</thead><tfoot style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; ">
</tfoot><tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; ">
</tbody>

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The only one talking BS is you, since it reeks that you have not a zilch of an idea why the Orange building is GREEN.

And no, the panels were added as compliment to a greener energy solution within the building interior and areas.

If you really want to speak with some substance on this one building alone, take the time and find out what made it the first Green building in the DR.

Now it also needs to be LEED certified LOL!!!!

Nice try!

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
I still don't see any DR buildings in the certified list. There are 3 buildings registered, but that doesn't mean they will get the certification. Applying doesn't mean you will get it just because you pay the fee, and I don't think any "under the table" money will help like we do here, so I don't see the "try" you are talking about, those are just facts. I'm still waiting for you to show me some certification for the Orange building so they can claim their green label.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I still don't see any DR buildings in the certified list. There are 3 buildings registered, but that doesn't mean they will get the certification. Applying doesn't mean you will get it just because you pay the fee, and I don't think any "under the table" money will help like we do here, so I don't see the "try" you are talking about, those are just facts. I'm still waiting for you to show me some certification for the Orange building so they can claim their green label.

You realize that tomorrow I could create an ORG that issued LEED certifications for DR buildings?:classic:

GREEN is the word my boy, now you want to make it into some certification mine is better than yours type of thing!

I stand by each and every word on my posts, go read again. If I had wanted to debate and discuss LEED certifications, I wouldn't be needing to carry out searches that showed not a single DR LEED certified building like your post provided and I answered with the correct data!

:cheeky:

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
This is no kindergarden game, this is serious business, and that's the reason why we have certification agencies. If you don't like LEED we can use NABERS or BREEAM, you can search there also, may be you'll find some certification, not registration, for the "green" Orange building. Green labels, eco-certification, carbon market, and marketing of those concepts is a multi-billion dollars business and like every business you have fake and you have real.
And about your idea of creating and ngo for issuing LEED certification, that's a very good illustration of your third world way of thinking, obsessed with the bling bling, and I encourage you to do so, intellectual property law offices will be very happy with this new case.

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
I should have clarified, I mean in a much smaller scale, green for the upper middle and middle class, all of those are huge projects. I wanna find out if people, not corporations would be interested in the tech for their own homes, tech like passive air conditioning.

My brother is an engineer, and is on his way to get an architecture degree as well, and we wanna know if this could be viable work.

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
I believe there is a market, and a growing demand, for that. Things like small renewable energy systems, better climate design, better waste management, better use of water (like re-use of grey water), green roofs, small vegetables garden (comestible landscaping) etc... As I told you at the beginning, I can get you in touch with a very knowledgeable person in this domain.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I should have clarified, I mean in a much smaller scale, green for the upper middle and middle class, all of those are huge projects. I wanna find out if people, not corporations would be interested in the tech for their own homes, tech like passive air conditioning.

My brother is an engineer, and is on his way to get an architecture degree as well, and we wanna know if this could be viable work.

It is! Just not as common as we would love them to be, but there are many examples like that all around the country. The thing is that most are not smack middle of some long standing neighborhood, but in some new remote areas being populated or turning from rural to urban settings.

There are some houses in Jarabacoa that take the green message well into the home realm.

People are learning that you don't necessarily need a concrete slab for a roof for safety and sturdiness anymore.

It will take sometime before it becomes a wide spread thing in the country.

I think that the DR is a great place to exploit all what going green can offer in designs and technologies applied. People LOVE to hear they can save a ton of money by using new methods of construction and designs. Anything that can save a buck and won't put the price beyond the 10% above the old budget is fair.

The lack of widespread offerings is a good sign of the potential to exploit the niche in the DR... I mean for residential projects!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
This is no kindergarden game, this is serious business, and that's the reason why we have certification agencies. If you don't like LEED we can use NABERS or BREEAM, you can search there also, may be you'll find some certification, not registration, for the "green" Orange building. Green labels, eco-certification, carbon market, and marketing of those concepts is a multi-billion dollars business and like every business you have fake and you have real.
And about your idea of creating and ngo for issuing LEED certification, that's a very good illustration of your third world way of thinking, obsessed with the bling bling, and I encourage you to do so, intellectual property law offices will be very happy with this new case.

Are you daring me? Are you? Are you?:mad:

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
Ok, that's the info I wanted, and it only makes sense to exploit all of this tech which would make life more comfortable.

As far as certification, it's nice, but in the end, I doubt it could work in this country, at least for now, I read up on the LEED certification, and even if the whole house is up to spec, you can still be denied it based on whether the person who lives in it uses all of the systems.