Bullfights in El Seibo are a true spectacle

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Corrida-de-Toros-del-Seibo-Diario-Libre-1024x569.png

The small eastern town of El Seibo, one of the oldest and most historic (and least known) places in the Dominican Republic, held its traditional religious feast days on the past weekend. Bullfights are included and are described as the most iconic features of the tradition. The bullfights are a scene out of Old Spain but intended to be without the bloodshed.

Actually, it is the only place in the Dominican Republic where something like this takes place. A bullring is set up in the middle of the town. There is seating available that ranges in price from RD$100 to RD$1,000. There are food vendors, and refreshments to be enjoyed as every day six bulls are released and brave toreadors, with no medical insurance, taunt and scamper around the bulls in the very muddy arena.

Despite the rains, the brave men go out with their capes, but no swords and provide a spectacle...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Dolores, do you have a date when this takes place?

Found it: 1 to 10 May

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
They need to build bullfight rings in SD and STI, but keep the Dominican tradition of not harming and killing the bulls (unlike in Spain, Mexico, Colombia, Peru…) This sport should be promoted more.

Bulkfighting is now illegal in Cuba, but when I read Samuel Hazard’s book about his visit to Cuba in the 1860’s, he mentions a large bullfighting ring in Havana and attended one. The book even has a drawing of the inside of part of the bullfighting ring. Supposedly, it was one of the biggest of its kind in the world.

I have a feeling there were bullfight rings in the DR beyond El Seibo during colonial times. Probably the bulls were killed as they still do in many places where it still exist.

In Puerto Rico did the Americans put an end to bullfighting?

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
They need to build bullfight rings in SD and STI, but keep the Dominican tradition of not harming and killing the bulls (unlike in Spain, Mexico, Colombia, Peru…) This sport should be promoted more.

Bulkfighting is now illegal in Cuba, but when I read Samuel Hazard’s book about his visit to Cuba in the 1860’s, he mentions a large bullfighting ring in Havana and attended one. The book even has a drawing of the inside of part of the bullfighting ring. Supposedly, it was one of the biggest of its kind in the world.

I have a feeling there were bullfight rings in the DR beyond El Seibo during colonial times. Probably the bulls were killed as they still do in many places where it still exist.

In Puerto Rico did the Americans put an end to bullfighting?
It’s banned..