Bus from SDQ Airport to Punta Cana

LittleItaly

Jun 17, 2008
Hello Friends,Arrica,Rubio higuey and Suavebig..arrived in punta Cana Airport in Friday at 10:00 in the morning.
You have good idea for me?
i want change little money in airport in Punta cana for pay only bus..for go to Bocacica.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Hello Friends,Arrica,Rubio higuey and Suavebig..arrived in punta Cana Airport in Friday at 10:00 in the morning.
You have good idea for me?
i want change little money in airport in Punta cana for pay only bus..for go to Bocacica.

There's a Banco del Progreso in the airport when you arrive. Change only what you estimate you'll need to get to Santo Domingo and then change more over there.

Option 1: Sightsee a bit, have lunch and then catch the Expreso Bavaro at 2pm. You'll need to take a taxi or public buses to move around.

Option 2: Walk out to the highway (5 minute walk), then catch a bus to Higuey. In Higuey, change to a bus to Santo Domingo. You'll get there earlier than Option 1 but you'll have to change buses.

Option 3: Pay a taxi from the airport to Santo Domingo. I can recommend someone for you and you'll find a lot of options searching in this forum.

Stateside

Dec 11, 2007
If going to SD, don't fly into PC

A delayed followup, but just wanted to share from experience from a trip in Feb..

As an english-speaking visitor with very poor spanish-speaking skills that hadn't been dusted off in 15years, I arrived with my fiance at the PC airport on our first trip to the DR. After obtaining our luggage, we were informed by 'folks' in the cab area that waiting for a Caribe Tours bus was not the right choice: many hours until one was available, and would be best taking a cab to the Bavaro Express hub. So with nothing else to rely on, we did just that. I'm guessing it was about a 20min cab ride (can't recall the price).

When we got to the 'bus depot', it was a culture shock. It appeared that this was transportation not utilized by tourists-- and definitely not unless you spoke fluent spanish. It was busy, crowded, and had no resemblence of any bus station I've ever seen. There was no formal ticket booth, rather people standing there taking cash and handing out 'tickets'. We only had US dollar but only DR Peso was accepted.. and no way to exchange. If it wasn't for the generousity of a local seeing that we were completely out of our element, we wouldn't have understood how the system worked and been lucky if we even got on the right bus.

The ride to SD took hours, and when we finally arrived at the 'bus depot' in SD, the chaos started all over again. Understood through my broken spanish skills it was the bus station, but it looked nothing like what I know them to be. While again we were lucky to rely on the generousity of a kind local (saw no other options), we spent hours with our very large backpacks getting on and off guaguas trying to get to our hotel. While we eventually got to our hotel and learned after about a day how to enjoy (and LOVE) being immersed in a such a foreign environment, never would I recommend first-timers doing what we did to get to SD. While later in SD we did visit the Caribe Tours bus hub, I would say that it appeared much more like a real bus station and would chose it over Bavaro Express anyday. To us: the cost savings of taking a bus didn't offset the time and hassle to get there. Without a doubt (especially if your first time in the DR and don't speak Spanish): if you want to go to SD, fly into SD.

LittleItaly

Jun 17, 2008
There's a Banco del Progreso in the airport when you arrive. Change only what you estimate you'll need to get to Santo Domingo and then change more over there.

Option 1: Sightsee a bit, have lunch and then catch the Expreso Bavaro at 2pm. You'll need to take a taxi or public buses to move around.

Thanks KateP..i think Option 1 i good idea for me.Where I catch the Expreso Bavaro ?outside airport..where?
;)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
A delayed followup, but just wanted to share from experience from a trip in Feb..

As an english-speaking visitor with very poor spanish-speaking skills that hadn't been dusted off in 15years, I arrived with my fiance at the PC airport on our first trip to the DR. After obtaining our luggage, we were informed by 'folks' in the cab area that waiting for a Caribe Tours bus was not the right choice: many hours until one was available, and would be best taking a cab to the Bavaro Express hub. So with nothing else to rely on, we did just that. I'm guessing it was about a 20min cab ride (can't recall the price).

They probably didn't recommend Caribe Tours because there AREN'T any Caribe Tour buses that offer service to or from Punta Cana... As for tourists on the Expreso Bavaro, I've taken it dozens of times and there are always tourists on board. The ride IS long, over 3 and a half hours to the first bus stop in Santo Domingo and just about 4 hours to the last stop which is the one I usually recommend to everyone since it's much quieter. I agree that it's not what you're used to in terms of bus stops or service but once you get used to it, it's not that bad. I usually recommend people to have their taxi driver give them a hand when they get there to make it all a bit easier...

LittleItaly, the Expreso Bavaro terminal is about 25-30 minutes from the airport. On the way to the stop you have Galerias Punta Cana which is not big and a bit expensive but it would give you something to do. Or you can take a look at the Palma Real Shopping center and have lunch there then head up to the bus station which is about 15-20 minutes away from there.

LittleItaly

Jun 17, 2008
Hi KateP,your information are very important for me,because i want to stay in RP 3 weeks and no have a lot of money..so I can't pay 100$ for taxi..
For go at the the terminal expreso Bavaro I must take taxi or to go walking?
taxi how much?
thank friend and excuse me

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
You won't be able to make it walking, it's about 35 minutes by car. A taxi will probably charge you around US$40 or you could try public buses that go by the entrance of the airport every 15-20 minutes and it'll come out much cheaper.

LittleItaly

Jun 17, 2008
Hello KateP,thankssss for your information ,very important for me!
If you stay in Bocachica in settember i want see you..and we drink beer ok? thanks friend.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Thanks for the invitation but I live in Punta Cana and very rarely go down to Boca Chica or Santo Domingo... now that I think about it, last time was in January :paranoid: Enjoy your trip!!

shinobi226

Feb 24, 2008
Hi does anyone know the adress of the punta cana airport, i'll get back from santo domingo to punta cana airport, as i have read so far i need to take a bus at 10 am in santo domingo to higuey, and then what, do i have to take another bus or a taxi from there? And i also read that the bus to higuey fills rapidly, at what time do you recomend me being there if i 'need' to be on the 10 AM bus?(Is the schedule the same for a saturday?) Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:

Philippa

Dec 2, 2004
most of these posts are from last year, so I wanted to see if there were any changes or other information. At the end of January I will be arriving at SDQ and from there would like to go straight to my hotel in Punta Cana. I will have luggage with me. What is the best way to get there, and about how much?

Thanks so much!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Expreso Bavaro bus service will be running on its normal schedule. They work everyday, including holidays.