Business Idea - Independent and Assisted Living

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Good Idea

1st thought:
Excellent idea.
Almost empty hotels could be converted into such facilities.
Relatively cheap labour is available.

2nd thought:
Still very good idea, although:
High investment costs;
Most older people want to stay near their loved ones.

3rd thought:
Good idea, although:
Entrepreneurs must feed dummy 'medicos' to run the place;
Unfavourable labour laws;
Patients' overseas care may not be paid by their countries' health care systems;

4th thought:
Still a good idea for
SKing and her (affluent) friends. :classic:

donP

P.S.:
Have all (or some of) those who showed interest in such a project (and accordingly) started a project?

Last edited:

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
. . . I'm disabled, and have been since birth. I'm now 38, use an electric wheelchair, and need caregivers to assist with my activities of daily living. Here in the U.S., the cost of my care is extraordinary. Roughly $90/day x 365 days a year. I paid this out of my own pocket, because I chose to work (as a computer programmer) and was therefore deemed "not disabled" by my government.
. . .
I don't take any medicines, or need any specialized medical care. I get the flu vaccine every year because I have reduced lung function and pneumonia is really bad for me, but otherwise I'm a pretty healthy guy that just needs help bathing, dressing, getting into my chair, preparing meals, running errands, etc. It doesn't take medical training; in the U.S., I hire off of Craigslist.

If there were a cool, non-nursing-home-ish assisted living option in SD or the NC, I would be on it like white on rice. I could afford $2,000/month, no problem. Care, alone, costs me more than that here.

I know I'm not alone, too. There are many young, professional disabled people like me who would love the opportunity to live abroad.

I've known several men who have immigrated here and continue to pull down a good income by working online. Programming work can be especially suited to such a life. The low-skilled assisttance you seem to need can be extraordinarily cheap, especially if it includes room and board. You could find a assistant/cook/driver/handyman for more.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Your big problem here in the DR is "Access".
Almost nothing is accessable in a wheel chair.
Sidewalks and streets are not easy for the "Abled" let alone those with disabilities.
Something to consider.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
1st thought:
Excellent idea.
Almost empty hotels could be converted into such facilities.
Relatively cheap labour is available.

2nd thought:
Still very good idea, although:
High investment costs;
Most older people want to stay near their loved ones.

3rd thought:
Good idea, although:
Entrepreneurs must feed dummy 'medicos' to run the place;
Unfavourable labour laws;
Patients' overseas care may not be paid by their countries' health care systems;

4th thought:
Still a good idea for
SKing and her (affluent) friends. :classic:

donP

P.S.:
Have all (or some of) those who showed interest in such a project (and accordingly) started a project?
I was in the elder care industry for many, many years.

It could definitely work here, and I entertained the concept twice, once on my own and once at the encouragement by others..

The only real issue is $$$$.

Even guys with deep pockets suddenly get short arms when presented a bill for 7 figures...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the idea itself is good but there are lots of issues. health insurance is just one of them. old and/or disabled people are in more danger of serious health problems. their insurances in their home countries would cover those but in DR they'd most likely pay from own pocket, less they are able to go back for a treatment.

then you have communication issues. everyone wants to be able to talk to their carer on a daily basis and be understood. labour is cheap, even qualified nurses would cost very little but they are not likely to speak foreign languages. then you'll have people who clean, serve food and so on.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
the idea itself is good but there are lots of issues. health insurance is just one of them. old and/or disabled people are in more danger of serious health problems. their insurances in their home countries would cover those but in DR they'd most likely pay from own pocket, less they are able to go back for a treatment.

then you have communication issues. everyone wants to be able to talk to their carer on a daily basis and be understood. labour is cheap, even qualified nurses would cost very little but they are not likely to speak foreign languages. then you'll have people who clean, serve food and so on.
It would have to be Private Pay, unless you contracted directly with an insurance company.

I looked into starting an ACLF (Adult Congregate Living Facility), not a SNF (Skilled Nursing Facility.) Possibly a Progressive Care Unit, where a client comes in on their feet and leaves in a box. There are good models out there.

The operating costs here would be a fraction of the US primarily through massive reduction in regulatory compliance & paperwork baloney and absence of punitive damage suits.

The issues you outline can be managed. The capital outlay is another story.

I suspect the client costs would be far lower than the states. Keep in mind we pay roughly $7500 a month for my sister's institutional care....up from $5000 3 years ago.

There is an outstanding geriatric care facility in Jarabacoa, just outside the city toward Manabao. I've toured it and spoken with management there numerous times. I understand it's one of two real such facilities in the DR.

Keep in mind that one cultural paradigm is taking respectful care of the elderly in the family home, a part of the culture here I love dearly...

WheeledOne

May 28, 2014
Your big problem here in the DR is "Access".
Almost nothing is accessable in a wheel chair.
Sidewalks and streets are not easy for the "Abled" let alone those with disabilities.
Something to consider.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Yah, believe me. I know!

I brought my electric wheelchair with me to Sosua last year. Getting around wasn't easy, but I made it work. The funniest part was watching all the motoconcho drivers snap their necks as they drove by me in my $60,000 chair with headlights. My expat friends said, "Hahaha, they have NEVER seen someone like you here, they don't know what to think!"

I'm a warrior; I don't expect things to be easy, just possible. I have a manual chair I can use in less accessible places, too. Since I weigh 80 lbs. and the manual chair weighs 25 lbs., it's super easy to carry me wherever needed.

If I do move over there, I'll buy a used van locally and import a wheelchair ramp from the U.S. Once that's set up, I'll use it to get from A to B, then hired help to get me over/up/around any barriers.

"Where there's a will, there's a way," verdad? ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Keep in mind that one cultural paradigm is taking respectful care of the elderly in the family home, a part of the culture here I love dearly...

that's because the people who do it have no jobs and nothing else to do or enough money to pay off the nurse. i already told my parents that i ain't coming back home and it's institution for them or a nurse (if i can afford it). it's difficult to wrestle those cases in a western world where both parents work all day,kids are at school and money is so tight many are one paycheck away from homelessness.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My "Left Leg" weighs "80 Pounds"!
Good for YOU.
If you get to a curb too high to get over, there will soon be 10 Dominicans running to help you, they ARE GOOD at helping others in need!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I did a little research on catering to elderly and disabled clientele when we lived in the campo and were considering the eco-resort. I do not remember where I saw the statistics, but some touristy statistic place issued a statement that disabled tourism was on the rise and expected to rise further in the coming years. I thought it was a good idea, and would make use of my wife and I's background. I had also considered families with disabled or special needs children. They want to vacation too, but are unable to because of no access to staff where they are vacationing, or they can't bring all the equipment they need with them

I realise this is an old thread, but as long as it is back in the limelight...

In stead of starting an assisted living or nursing home which would come at great cost and be a red tape hell, rent a vacation villa that caters to disabled peoples and children with special needs. Not a lot of equipment would be needed, just knowledgeable and competent staff. I would imagine that people with difficulty getting around would appreciate someone simply knowing which restaurants have the least steps, which beaches have the easiest access, or where the best place to get medical care for their particular disability should a need arise. Also, a family with a special needs child could enjoy their vacation knowing that their child is taken care of by responsible people, and that child can have fun too because he wouldn't be around people who are 'afraid of breaking him'.

If the catering to tourists part works out, then expand to longer and longer term guests and visitors.

It's a thought I'll explore, if my wife ever gives the credit card a chance to cool off! Bedding that matches the drapes in our new house is currently of high importance! :)

D

deano2001

I did a little research on catering to elderly and disabled clientele when we lived in the campo and were considering the eco-resort. I do not remember where I saw the statistics, but some touristy statistic place issued a statement that disabled tourism was on the rise and expected to rise further in the coming years. I thought it was a good idea, and would make use of my wife and I's background. I had also considered families with disabled or special needs children. They want to vacation too, but are unable to because of no access to staff where they are vacationing, or they can't bring all the equipment they need with them

I realise this is an old thread, but as long as it is back in the limelight...

In stead of starting an assisted living or nursing home which would come at great cost and be a red tape hell, rent a vacation villa that caters to disabled peoples and children with special needs. Not a lot of equipment would be needed, just knowledgeable and competent staff. I would imagine that people with difficulty getting around would appreciate someone simply knowing which restaurants have the least steps, which beaches have the easiest access, or where the best place to get medical care for their particular disability should a need arise. Also, a family with a special needs child could enjoy their vacation knowing that their child is taken care of by responsible people, and that child can have fun too because he wouldn't be around people who are 'afraid of breaking him'.

If the catering to tourists part works out, then expand to longer and longer term guests and visitors.

It's a thought I'll explore, if my wife ever gives the credit card a chance to cool off! Bedding that matches the drapes in our new house is currently of high importance! :)

"Bedding that matches the drapes in our new house is currently of high importance!" Hahahahaaha! Hysterical! I hear ya brother! Hang in there!

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
Not sure if it will work or not - my initial thought is that most US Citizens with money and health issues will want to stay in the USA. Those without money will require Medicaid and thus they must stay in the USA. As for Dominican Americans wishing to return here, they probably have family here and might prefer hiring a visiting nurse at $20,000 RD per month in their own home. I doubt Dominican American retirees will come here when they are sick, but rather they will come here when still feeling healthy.

Besides, unlike many Americans, Dominicans are not known to send aging parents to homes and hospice. They care for their families in the home. You might be better off looking into setting up a rehab facility for visiting cosmetic patients. You know, the woman who has a facelift or breast implants and needs a few days or a week of care and privacy before returning Stateside. Good luck!

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i will probably be in the carib for my declining years...i like pop...but by the time i recline the big island will be open..and who will come here...i prefer hospitals here and the nursing staff, home care and the better food,,,recovery here is faster...much cheaper on your feet quicker...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It would have to be Private Pay, unless you contracted directly with an insurance company.

I looked into starting an ACLF (Adult Congregate Living Facility), not a SNF (Skilled Nursing Facility.) Possibly a Progressive Care Unit, where a client comes in on their feet and leaves in a box. There are good models out there.

The operating costs here would be a fraction of the US primarily through massive reduction in regulatory compliance & paperwork baloney and absence of punitive damage suits.

The issues you outline can be managed. The capital outlay is another story.

I suspect the client costs would be far lower than the states. Keep in mind we pay roughly $7500 a month for my sister's institutional care....up from $5000 3 years ago.

There is an outstanding geriatric care facility in Jarabacoa, just outside the city toward Manabao. I've toured it and spoken with management there numerous times. I understand it's one of two real such facilities in the DR.

There are two of these now in Puerto Rico so maybe they would like to come here and do the same. Miramar Living

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
im beginning to see ins.co. are willing to pay for out of country...this field will grow as groups enter this field of investment and realize the need,want and $$ gain...they will be able to charge less and make more...(salaries.pensions sick etc) and also be able to take in private payers.s.s.payments are approaching 1800$month and lots of retirees have $ + pensions etc...