Buzz on Taino pyramid found in PoP

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Drake, the Taino were a matriarchal society, and wives were not burried alive with their Caciques. What you saw in the Museo del Hombre Dominicano was staged with the purpose of portraying the Taino as savages. There are no Taino burrial sites, since they disposed of their dead in funeral pires.

Regarding the Taino Cemi in my possession, I have not taken it out of the country, and it is duly registered with the Museum. However, I can legally transfer possession to you, just so I inform the Museum authorities on the transfer.

Jrmirador - where do you get your sources from? -Disney channel? The Taino culture was based around the chiefdom system where the male Caciques dictated all decisions made in the group. That makes it a Patriarchal society. Secondly have you ever read anything at all about Taino culture? Have you heard of La Caleta, Boca Chica, Juan Dolio burial sites(to name a few) where large quantities of skeletons, pottery, effigies ect.. were recovered? Also where did the Tainos burn their dead??, as that’s the first I heard of that? Are you sure that you are not confusing them with the Vikings?
Also I never said that you could not sell Taino artifacts. What I said was it’s a criminal offence to smuggle artifacts out of the country.

lumiere987

Jul 4, 2007
The area where the pyramid is was a hill, the pyramid was carved out of that hill! take another look at additional pictures posted. this is located on the South Coast, Juan Dolio/Boca Chica area. Home
Crystals are also incredibly symmetric — and as natural as you and I, without the assisstance of the military.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
The area where the pyramid is was a hill, the pyramid was carved out of that hill! take another look at additional pictures posted. this is located on the South Coast, Juan Dolio/Boca Chica area. Home

I think the North Coast should claim the POP stone thingie as THEIR Taino Pyramid. Mayor Llanna could do a little cermony. Invite some North American press down. Have some Taino's in traditional dress. Why not? Who cares? Go Big or Go Home (according to my 18 y.o. daughter)

Little old blue haired people gettin off the cruise ships love Pyramids.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I think the North Coast should claim the POP stone thingie as THEIR Taino Pyramid. Mayor Llanna could do a little cermony. Invite some North American press down. Have some Taino's in traditional dress. Why not? Who cares? Go Big or Go Home (according to my 18 y.o. daughter)

I agree. And, re-create a Taino village with petting zoo and a traditional Taino party/celebration with traditional dancing and food.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002

Interesting but i doubt that its an ancient structure. The area around appears to heve been cleared by heavy machinery. Where exactly is it located? What part of Juan Dolio is it at?

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

You gotta be kidding. There're no Tainos anymore.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Padre Las Casas, the census taker and historian early on, counted only 100% indios as indios. Didn't get all those in caves and hills beyond reach. The practice continued throughout history.

Of interest to the anti-Americans: the U.S. counts 1/8 blood as indio (I'm one), always has. Called Octaroons along with 1/8 blacks.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If the Tainos truly built pyramids, their centuries old reputation for being peaceful could be at stake (unless its found that the Caribs actually built the suppose PP pyramid, which would make sense considering they were bloody and cannibals). As for why I say this, well look why the Aztecs and Mayans (it was recently discovered some engravings in Guatemala that clearly shows the Mayans were a warrior civilization and not the peaceful innocent civilization it was previously believed) built pyramids for:

[video=youtube;aG8WqEyXIyc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG8WqEyXIyc[/video]

canned oj

Oct 24, 2013
Thanks Hiraishin answered a 40 year old event. Was being transported across no mans land between Venezuela and Columbia, only way across was with local Indians.Thought I was in North Africa, looked like Bedouin, men and women in mostly blue robes,women covered up fairly well. Have never forgot that.

May 29, 2006
1678g2e.jpg

Scattered artificially hewn rocks of remains of Taino megalithic monument in El Cercado, San Juan de la Maguana.

Anyone who thinks those are hewn stones must have grown up in a concrete jungle. I don't think the folks studying Easter Island or Machu Picchu have any competition there.

My favorite paleolithic stones are the stone balls in Costa Rica, which are thought to date back about 2000 years:
Stone spheres of Costa Rica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia