César Iglesias, First IPO of the Dominican Republic

Jan 9, 2004
I feel this is a form of promotion and I "think" one must be licensed to do that. Whatever, count me out.
Most investment houses that tout a stock are more often than not paid in stock.....often times based on how much of it they can sell to clients. They are not unbiased sources of information.

Note that this IPO was scheduled to go public more than a year ago and for whatever reason or reasons has been delayed.

Note also that only 30% of the stock will go public. The rest remains in the hands of the founders/family. With so little "float" this is an offering that could be highly manipulated price wise.

Further, that without sales restrictions, those founders could conceivably dump large blocks of stock onto the market to take advantage of any hype in the price by those same investment houses.. The effect of this would likely dilute the value of the current shareholders equity.

Finally anyone interested should read and study the prospectus and current/past financials of the company.

One last thing, there is no Blue Sky Law in the DR.

Best of luck to those so inclined.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2,

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Most investment houses that tout a stock are more often than not paid in stock.....often times based on how much of it they can sell to clients. They are not unbiased sources of information.

Note that this IPO was scheduled to go public more than a year ago and for whatever reason or reasons has been delayed.

Note also that only 30% of the stock will go public. The rest remains in the hands of the founders/family. With so little "float" this is an offering that could be highly manipulated price wise.

Further, that without sales restrictions, those founders could conceivably dump large blocks of stock onto the market to take advantage of any hype in the price by those same investment houses.. The effect of this would likely dilute the value of the current shareholders equity.

Finally anyone interested should read and study the prospectus and current/past financials of the company.

One last thing, there is no Blue Sky Law in the DR.

Best of luck to those so inclined.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2,
One might stand a chance getting a better return by investing in Haiti.:ROFLMAO:.

• Haha
Reactions: Big

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I feel this is very good background info which conveys an understanding. My question is "investment house". Who is this? I didn't think DR had proper investment houses such as Morgan S, JPMC, Goldman etc. I thought BHD is just a folks' bank acting as an underwriter for the IPO in this case. Are they broker/dealers?

Jan 9, 2004
I feel this is very good background info which conveys an understanding. My question is "investment house". Who is this? I didn't think DR had proper investment houses such as Morgan S, JPMC, Goldman etc. I thought BHD is just a folks' bank acting as an underwriter for the IPO in this case. Are they broker/dealers?
I am not sure if BHD is a broker-dealer, but they certainly, like the other large banks, have an investment arm. Yes, they may be underwriting the issue with capital and advice about getting it to the ipo/listing stage, ditto Squire Boggs Patton the legal firm advising them on Dominican securities regulation.

Other non bank brokers may just be market makers in the stock.............trying to keep supply/demand balanced.

Major US investment houses/brokers do not yet have interest to make a market in DR stocks..............simply because the market is way too small and the risk reward ratio not yet conducive. But they do make a market in its sovereign bonds.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
One might stand a chance getting a better return by investing in Haiti.:ROFLMAO:.
Actually, until the IPO starts, the DR stock exchange is composed mostly by bonds and other fixed investments and the returns in those have been among the highest in Latin America for several years.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
BHD and Popular are the underwriters and will be the emitters of César Iglesias stocks during the IPO. Once all the stocks are sold, the secondary market starts when owners of the stock are able to buy/sell some or all of their stock to others. That's where usually the gain starts, as the price of stocks during the IPO is almost always much lower than what the prices will be after the IPO.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
HtyjFYG.jpg

PS. If you want to zoom in and can't do it in the thread, save it as a photo in your system and then you will be able to see it there and zoom in as necessary.

PS2. 40% of the initial stocks offering will be reserved exclusively for small investors (RD$5,391,500 or less).