Cabarete Weather Report

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
Cabarete vs Jeanne

Hello to everybody,
I thought that the weather here on the Isle of Wight was fairly terrible today, but after a conversation with my mother (Kim & Paul on these fine boards) it appears that Cabarete has been slightly worse! As they only have cellular phone service, no internet or landline I have been asked to post an update here.
Jeanne hit hard from the early hours of this morning with lots of rain and winds up to force 12 (sourced from windsofcabarete.com)
There are lots of trees toppled in the pro-cab area and the campo is alledgedly in a mess, word is that Jeanne has unfortunately claimed the lives of at least two dominicans but this is not gospel, I was told that happily Peter is ok, but I heard nothing of anybody else.
Winds are still high and rains are still falling.
Apologies if my info is a little distorted but I am halfway across the world.
only 7 days and I've got all this to look forward to myself.
Cheerio! Jon

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Cabarete weather 15:30 17 sept 2004

After a night of tropical storm/hurricane the status I went out at 09:00 to survey the damage in the village. The current status is:

1) Most of the larger signs that were hanging over the raod are down and ripped apart.

2) A lot of palm leaves lying around.

3) Water coming in at every nook and cranny , beach is closed and very dirty..

4) At about 09:00 till 10:30 a slight lull in the downpour. At that moment no stores open.

5) From about 10:30 till 14:15 downpour again. After that slight lull again. went out again and bought some more supplies. Stores open

6) No internet or landlines all day. Cell phones work.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Camden Tom said:
I'd sure appreciate an update. Thanks

Peter and Paul T, you guys OK down there?

I'm sending you all my best vibes.

Hi Tom .
Your house is fine
From the beach it looks like you might have lost one tile from the little roof over the door upstairs.
Also I see somthing flapping on the main roof , if you have nothing there
then its dirt , but could be asfalt covering ..
the walls show three rows of blocs and the bottom of the stairs
to the beach is in the air maybe a half meter.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Paul Thate said:
Hi Tom .
Your house is fine
From the beach it looks like you might have lost one tile from the little roof over the door upstairs.
Also I see somthing flapping on the main roof , if you have nothing there
then its dirt , but could be asfalt covering ..
the walls show three rows of blocs and the bottom of the stairs
to the beach is in the air maybe a half meter.

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the update. I'm assuming everything is OK down at your house. Hope to be seeing you guys soon. Glad you're alright.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
yes we all survived , no problem.
Peter . Graham and Paul all came through great without any real damage.
my house had nothing , the garden really took a hit
and a lot of my favorite plants were flattened. I lost two coconut Palm trees.
Around me I saw maybe 10 palms down.
the trees with most damage were amandel trees.
the ducks , chicken and guinea fowl that I had left outside were
all allright and still there the next day.
the ocean never got to my garden gate .
during the night was always more then 3 or 4 meters away.
In fact the ocean was eerie flat during most of the storm.
The waves started to come at the end of the storm.
this was my first hurricane , this one seems to be a little one.
the noise was horrible and it lasted the whole night.
this one was barely a hurricane one I tell you I never ever want to see
a three four or five . the poor guys in Florida I really feel for them.

daljit

Sep 21, 2004
Pro Cab

Hi :eek:

saw the photo's posted of cabarete and spoke to friends over there who say things are getting back to normal slowly.

It was particularly interesting to see the photos in procab outside the renaisance apartments as that is where our apartment is - i hope that there was minimal damage. anyone been passed there recently, please do let me know.

sitting in london our thougths are with everyone in cabarete and wishing everyone a speedy recovery.

see you all in december.
daljit

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Thursday 23.09.04 @ 06.30am

Hola hola, yes - me back on line!!
No real damage from Jeanne - just the embuggerance factor and a bit of cleaning up!!
Thanx Paul for keeping posting.
Today Cabarete weather.
Clear sky with clouds on the horizon.
2 to 3 metre breakers on the reef!!! Shore break up to 2 metres in places. No wind. The waves are pushing the water way high up the beach and depositing more garbage in front of all the bars. Some areas of Bozo Beach now cleaned by the sea but it looks as if all the rubbish simply got washed down to Viva/Wyndham Tangerine area!!
Pro Cab slowly geting back to normal - maybe we'll have power back soon?
Peter

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Friday 24.09.04 @ 06.30am???

Sorry - now 10.40pm - still no power in Pro Cab but the guys are working on it!! Even now!! Don't know that I'd want to be messing about with electricity in the dark?
Had no e-mail or dial up since last night but now it's back!!
Early morning walk - great day - blue sky, some cloud to the south which never developed. A few spots of rain at 5.00pm but nothing to talk about!
Reef waves still around 2,00 metres with a good shore break up to 1.8m! Really good waves at La Boca de la rio Yassica today when we walked the dogs there around midday. You could probably get a good 7-10 second ride if you hit them right!!
No real damage at La Boca - just a bit of a mess and the usual rearrangement of the river mouth sands!!
Will try to see how we get on tomorrow with this internet stuff?????

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Saturday 25.09.04 @ 06.45am

Up early, out on the beach. Still night music pumping away and a few spaced out cowboys wandering about.
Something about sailors, red skies and morning warnings spring to mind today?? But it's a really clear day.
Nice sea conditions, shore break of up to metre still on Bozo Beach. tide was high again.
Not a cloud in the sky and the breeze started to pick up! Could be good later.
PS: We got power back thanks to dedicated Dominicans who were still working on our lines at 11.0pm last night!! It's not all bad is it?

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Sunday 26.09.04 @ 07.30am

What a nice day! Clear blue sky, light breeze, relatively flat calm sea. All the surf has gone!
Have to report that the party is still going on at Crazy West!! (And then they all drive home to Santiago and SD later today)?
Hlywud - I waved but was later than usual today as Sunday is breakfast on the beach at Las Brisas - now we're deaf from the technocrap bass!
Back to usual time tomorrow - 06.45 - 07.15 so we'll wave again?
Now much later - 11.30am - sky cloudier with a few darker clouds scudding by, (what a great word), and the breeze has picked up a bit.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Friday 08.10.04 @ 06.45am

Me back on line - 9 days & 5 Verizon technicians later!!
Thursday - It rained moderate to heavy all day!!
Last night - it rained again!!
This morning - very cloudy but a really red sky at 06.30am but we got a dry walk in along the beach.
Still very overcast and yes..... it might rain again today?
Sea quite calm with no real shore break.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Sunday 10.10.04 @ 07.45am

Missed yesterday again!!! Some idiot parked and abandoned his burning Nissan Pathfinder under the cables in Cabarete high street and ran away leaving the flames and explosions to melt all the cables above!!! But we're back on again now!!
Nice day earlier, plenty early sun, flat calm sea and no breeze. High clouds now at 10.55am.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Monday 11.10.04 @ 06.35am

Dull & overcast early but the clouds cleared by 08.00am. Sun is up and looks like a nice day?
High tides today with sea way up the beach. Variable shore break from 0.5 to 1.00m.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Tuesday 12.10.04 @ 07.00am

Nice sunrise today but some clouds to the East. Sky cleared for a bit but is now clouding up slightly (08.30am). Very warm and sticky walking on the beach earlier.
Sea relatively calm but some shore break of up to a metre on Bozo Beach locations.

Last edited: