Cable Cars Coming To Santo Domingo

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
yeah, there's people who are scared of riding teleferico in POP. i would so want it to break, get stuck and everyone to evacuate using ropes and ladders. cool adventure if i ever saw one.
fantasy

your hoping for a breakdown ????

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the idea of this cable car is good. there is no relief to SD transit other than take it under ground, over ground or getting rid of all transport sindicos. we know the third will never happen so...

the main problem is, of course, power and maintenance. recent fcukups on the second line of metro show that the services in SD leave much to be desired. in addition, even the overhear rail will need ground room. those supporting pillars cannot be in the middle of the road. much like pillars supporting overground parts of the metro they would require elevated space on the street leaving less room for cars, ultimately.

in any case, i'd love to see that thingy happen.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
He's talking about the time it was closed down for an extended period of time. It was a long time ago, and I think it had something to do with having to replace the cables.
Just guessing, I seem to remember that back in the late 80's maybe?

interesting. i would not know that far back but i will try to ask around. it was opened in 1975 so maybe it was some technological upgrade?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe he is talking about 2011 following a "report" from nuria regarding bad state of the cables. they closed for few weeks then. a month?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ministerio de turismo has been responsible for it for a decade or so. it is possible, now i think of it, that at some point teleferico was in a bad shape. but right now it is receiving over 100k people a year and i expect many cruceristas to do this trip too (close, short, cheap).

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
No. etapas is stages so they are building the one line, which will be 5 kilometres long in three stages and although there is no map in the link, I have followed the proposed route as best I can. It starts on Charles de Gaulle just east of the rio Ozama and then crosses the river which has a large valley there into sabana perdida ..what names we have !!! and then goes down to tres brazos and then finally links up to metro 2 just west of the rio ozama . I wonder if much of the line will be above the green lands on each side of the river ..looks that way and that explains why there are only a few stations .

EddieC

May 8, 2003
Cable Cars

I visualize Dominicans spilling out the cable cars as they go by. I can see arms, legs and etc. hanging out these cars.
To tell truth; I don't think cable cars will work in an over crowded city with public cars and motorconchos.

Good luck with the project.
They work, but the rationale of the Colombian population is grossly different than the Dominican counterpart.
Arms, legs, and torsos don't hang out of public transportation in Medellin.
The people in general are more gentrified than in the DR. You may not like to hear this, but it's the truth.
Besides, the ladies are much classier also. Lots of eye candy. No cities like Sosua full of low class ugly whores.

I have a place in Medellin, and everyday life is a different story there. I considered the DR, but I'll rent when I come.
All considered, I feel I made the best decision.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Good luck with the project.
They work, but the rationale of the Colombian population is grossly different than the Dominican counterpart.
Arms, legs, and torsos don't hang out of public transportation in Medellin.
The people in general are more gentrified than in the DR. You may not like to hear this, but it's the truth.
Besides, the ladies are much classier also. Lots of eye candy. No cities like Sosua full of low class ugly whores.

I have a place in Medellin, and everyday life is a different story there. I considered the DR, but I'll rent when I come.
All considered, I feel I made the best decision.

hi like to swing an invite...i have always wanted to change 2000$ and be a millionaire...still possible whats the exchange?

May 29, 2006
Imagine cable cars with twice as many ppl in it as they're suppose to handle.. What's the worst that could happen? Bus systems are a fraction of the cost and far more flexible to changing routes and demand.

[video=youtube;ZDOI0cq6GZM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDOI0cq6GZM[/video]

EddieC

May 8, 2003
The exchange rate is around 1800/USD.
Very inexpensive. The food is not as tasty, but the eye candy in Medellin, for example, makes it worthwhile. Best of all, no Haitianos.
No music played at over 100 decibels, decent streets, lower crime rate, cops don't prey on you, no problem fitting in or feeling
comfortable. They call Medellin "The Miracle City".

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
EddieC why all the negativity.??. The contract has already been awarded to the company that built the cable system in Medellin that works so well and as you know has doors that automatically close and has security at stations to prevent overcrowding in any of the cabins ..and just for your information many people now think that medellin is the most attractive but most boring city in Colombia .
so Dominicans are so stupid that they want to die..no, they simply live life more on the edge .

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The exchange rate is around 1800/USD.
Very inexpensive. The food is not as tasty, but the eye candy in Medellin, for example, makes it worthwhile. Best of all, no Haitianos.
No music played at over 100 decibels, decent streets, lower crime rate, cops don't prey on you, no problem fitting in or feeling
comfortable. They call Medellin "The Miracle City".

Medellin is too cold.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
How about we first get the electric to work 24/7 and then tackle this new venture? I have been coming to the DR for nearly 30 years and the fact that electric generation is still an issue is sad.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
How about we first get the electric to work 24/7 and then tackle this new venture? I have been coming to the DR for nearly 30 years and the fact that electric generation is still an issue is sad.

I don't agree. What if Leonel in 1996 would have thought better to invest in Education or the electricity system only and not in infrastructure in Santo Domingo. No elevados, no metro, no tunnels, no highways to the east of the country (or north). This teleferico is not a bad idea for that part of the city. OFcourse all public investments also give possibilities to steal a lot of money, but that happens with investments in Education or Electricity as well and as much.