Cabrera Area New Projects/ future Goverment Plans for the area?

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Thank You Mr. Castellamonte, very well put and very detailed information.

Are there any boat Marinas per say, Diving/Fishing Charters? Boats for Hire for Bluewater hunting?

I also heard that Laguna Dudu is up for sale? Great Diving caves, great practice spot.

Any Marine/ tackle place, or Boat yard or marine mechanics around?
I can imagine the Marine industry is zilch.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
So Mr. Webster I would suppose that just as Mr. Castellamonte you live in the Cabrera area, you mentioned you are off the grid? completely? and your internet conection?
also, lets say in comparison to Sosua/Cabarete, how affordable is the cost of living?... lets say if I already own a place there, and I am frugal... Nothing fancy, small house paid for, Not into clubs or expensive cars... just a motorcycle and a dinghy with an outboard engine, big into bicycle riding and fishing, a canadian couple on a fixed income. Not into high life at all, mostly into healthy living and mingle with the locals?
any idea on a monthly ball park figure.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
So Mr. Webster I would suppose that just as Mr. Castellamonte you live in the Cabrera area, you mentioned you are off the grid? completely? and your internet conection?
also, lets say in comparison to Sosua/Cabarete, how affordable is the cost of living?... lets say if I already own a place there, and I am frugal... Nothing fancy, small house paid for, Not into clubs or expensive cars... just a motorcycle and a dinghy with an outboard engine, big into bicycle riding and fishing, a canadian couple on a fixed income. Not into high life at all, mostly into healthy living and mingle with the locals?
any idea on a monthly ball park figure.

Just outside Cabrera... no wires into the property all solar w/ diesel backup
I said, Internet by air wave , CLARO - which is not claro, I am between two towers and get varied reception

Affordable? Less than the touristy places by a lot, is my guess.

No ball park
-impossible to do w/o knowing your habits , intimately.
Suffice to say we never buy west of Gaspar Hernandez for fresh vegetable.

Sosua , Playero for some meats and other fancier stuff.... you need to travel
Nagua is an option but is less urban than SOS/CAB tourist stuff

Your dinghy will be fine at the local fishing port, the hills might give you pause on your bike.

Visit a bit - give it a try....nice small community

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
oh, I have Mr. Webster a few times, its been a few years but I do remenber being touched by the area. Somehow I see the potential to make it a nice Haven for like minded people who respect nature and dont abuse resources. I'm in the process of acquiring a small property in the area...just waiting on the superslow pace of the transaction.
as far as habits, don't drink. dont smoke. dont gamble. Pretty much into swimming,freediving (no tanks), calistenics, fishing, and hunting. My dad used to say he was as cheap as a rail line is hard...
I fell in love with the area. Planning my move there within the next 12-14 months.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Maybe when I'm settled down there, I can learn a thing or 2 from you regarding sustainable energy, solar and wind. Not depending on fossil fuels and being on grid its amazing....also harvesting. Most of my friends are earth friendly people and cant wait for me to get downthere so they can visit. I think about it everyday. I'm happy I found this forum, it has been very helpful.
Almost bought a place in Sosua, so Happy I didnt. Nothing against that area, I realized that the Cabrera area will fit my personal goals better.

StillAbe

May 19, 2011
I visited the area two years ago to see the site of Cristal Beach. As a bit of an adventurer I went by carro publico from Cabarete and enlisted a motoconcho driver to take me to the site. Of course he had no idea where it was but assured me he did. The getting lost part of the day was magnificent. It seems that there is simply no end to the beautiful beaches and spectacular scenery east of Cabrera.

He had tire problems that forced him to stop at a roadside fix it shop in the middle of nowhere where I enjoyed the passing horseback riders and watched in amazement as six young men husked coconuts under a thatched roof in the broiling heat.

Everyone in good humor, beautiful kids and people everywhere you look. The DR is an amazing place--if only it was a bit more "under control" legally I could easily live there.

I have been there many times and keep looking for a reason to feel more comfortable about the "lawlessness". Thus far I haven't been able to and still am aiming for Central America in retirement.

Please, someone with some real facts, talk me back into considering this beautiful, accessible place.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Thanks. It's a start, but I'm looking more like something like Rocky's in Sosua before the upgrades. A full sized bed with good pillows, a ceiling fan and maybe a dorm fridge. Hot water is nice, but I can do without. Maybe the days of $25/night hotels are over. I'd like to find something around $50/night. I certainly don't need a TV in the room or AC. Some ex-pat bar with a couple of sleeper rooms connected to it would be ideal.

Is there any kind of ex-pat business directory or list for Cabrera? I know of your place, Chico's, and Manny's, but that's it.

I can give you the phone number to my favourite of the two $25 a night hotels at the end of the road. Let me know if you still need that. I actually have a friend staying there right now that was supposed to be staying in my house but the construction is taking much longer than we were told it would! They have a double bed, small TV, kitchenette with small fridge and mini-stove, some dishes, fan, and amazing ocean view. No pool. Another hotel in town for $50 USD a night (Miramar) has a pool and slightly nicer rooms.

I live in downtown Cabrera and have for 5 years so any other questions anyone has, I can try to help!