Camp David Ranch HOTEL, regretfully, I am probably thru with it.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
It has been posted before that the problems with using foreign credit cards in the DR has been linked to the credit card processing companies and their unscrupulous staff. You may be able to safely use a credit card elsewhere, but the chance of credit card fraud is so high here it is far better to use cash.

And for those that say you can protest the illicit charges and get them back, that is generally true, but it is a hassle.
This is the truth
I used my debit card to pay my bag fee's and my bank had left 3 messages for me before I got home a 3 1/2 flight and found seven charges made on my card they declined them and closed the card.

Rick

Feb 21, 2002
I agree with the OP. I was staying in Santiago and used my CC for a hotel and rental car in Oct. 11. I returned home and two months later in December I started receiving charges on the same CC for flowers, and I resort in Santo Domingo. It was a hassle explaining to my CC company that I had been back in the States for two months and was now receiving these charges. I had to write a dispute letter and was refunded. Just be careful with your CC in the DR.

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
My experience world-wide is that they usually open a credit card tab which you have to sign when you check in, but they don't put anything on it unless you use it. They certainly should NEVER RETAIN your card, though on occasion they do retain passports till you leave. I can't comment on the cash situation because for safety reasons I never work in cash.

It is not nice to be treated as a potential thief, but I have known of cases where the occupants actually stole the bidet from the bathroom, not just the towels!

I think there are ways of managing these things in a more appropriate and tactful way and it doesn't sound as though this hotel has got it right.

I recently stayed at the hotel Conde de Penalba in SD, only 3 star, but recently refurbished and very comfortable as long as you don't want bath products, dressing gown and facial tissues. There were towels and soap. This hotel did not even require credit card details or a deposit when I booked, though they did open a tab on arrival, which is fair enough in my opinion. I have never found anywhere not to take a deposit or card details in that way anywhere before. We were exhausted and ate at their restaurant where the food was better and certainly more reasonably priced than one of the restaurants overlooking Columbus's house that I ate at last time I was in SD.
I stayed at Camp David a few years ago but had nothing to do with the bill. It was pleasant enough, but I wouldn't have classed it then as more than a 3 star. It was just that the experience was delightful.

johnnj2000

Mar 27, 2004
They asked for a credit card after I had already waved the cash for the night at them.
I asked what for, they answered as most hotels which MAY ask for a credit card, that it would be for "incidentals" (extra consumptions like having restaurant consumptions put on the room tab). As at ALL hotels, I politely declined indicating that would I consume anything, I would prefer to pay cash (ALL hotels accept that! Jaragua, Melia, Barcelo Lina etc).
But they insisted. As I gave in, I found out they not only "opened a voucher" but actually wanted to bill a preliminary RD$6000.oo. I declined to sign and the argument ensued.
Finally I offered to leave the RD$6000.oo in CASH but wanted my protest to the practice noted. I was then told that if it was cash it had to be RD$10'000!!

I am sorry, NO that would be myth, in NO other hotel, not even in this country have I been forcefully subjected to such a practice, practice I highly doubt would be legal.
Again, hotels do TRY to OFFER the possibility to open a TAB on an open CR-voucher and they can offer that with utmost naturalism... I NEVER agree, no where, not here, not in NYC, not in Miami not in Zurich, not even in Santo Domingo, and NEVER have they not immediately accepted, usually just indicating that I might not have access to room service (which often does not have the ability to receive payment at the room) and phone service (we have cell phones now) and that I would have to pay cash or CR for consumptions at the bars and restaurants. (Mrs. Bermudez made it a repeated point to tell me that all the above is not true).

Look, we are in a country where many do either not have a CR or (like me) do NOT wish to use it in this country, additionally, unless advised at the time of reservation, not every traveler will have RD$10'000 CASH to SPARE besides their estimated cash on hand they may carry on their trip.

Pardon my English, but they have no idea of what they're doing.

... J-D.

Im with you on this one JD, Sounds like they at one time or another because of there own ignorance must have gotten duped, probably by someone either charging to the wrong room , or maybe stealing all the towels , charging dinners , etc etc etc. and now the rest of us are being forced to deal with harsh protective policies put into place to combat the situation which was more then likley the fault of the employees and staff there . Im really surprised that all this is going on there , I had planned upon my visit to the DR in 2 weeks to get up there for a few nights with my girl, but if Jose (curly) Bermudez thinks Im going to pay 74.00 a night to stay there , they are crazy !! and want to put 6000.00 pesos on a Credit Card ! what do they think your in a rock band and need that just in case you trash the room? lol thats a little too over the top for my taste . You know they are very nice people there , I remember Joe telling me the story about how his father sold out of the rum back in the day and taking his money and buying the mountain and all , then when he told me that he sold lots on the mountain so people could build nice homes up there and the money would pay for the new road that was done I was quite impressed with his progress , now it seems hes getting a little greedy , he must know that the european as well as american markets are not doing so well and that people are doing without alot of things these days, people just are not spending money , if he was smart he would reconsider his position , maybe try a 3000.00 peso hold on the room , make his employees more responsible for check out as well as checking rooms before customers leave , check towels , charges to the room etc etc. I ll be heading the aloha hotel until this gets resolved . the last thing I need on my vacation is having to go there , pay 10000 pesos hold on my card only to have some employee screw up the room charges or some one else give them my room number to charge there expenses after they have left? and then you have a despute on the charges? NO!!! Ill wait till this gets resolved before I go there

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
One more word of caution about Credit Cards in the DR in general

This will have come up every now and then but I think, that since the discussion has swayed towards credit card problems in the DR (and probably most similar countries) it worth while mentioning this again, especially to foreign tourist:

IN YOUR country, you MAY have special rights, like right to "think over for 3 or 5 days and retract" or "return for a full refund". Many WRONGLY like to believe that because they are using their US or European card which may give them these "facilities" under the consumer protection laws of their respective, that these would apply in THIS country too.
NOPE!

You can NOT export or "carry" your laws or rights! (if you're not quite convinced, try closing your eyes and imagine that the Dominicans come to YOUR country and claim "rights" that they think they would have had under Balaguer. Ha!).

What you sign HERE in the DR is subject to DR laws.
Example: Many are those who were unable to say "NO to a time share sales man HERE in the DR.... maybe even one who is a fellow country man and works for a company which is known in the "client's" home country (sorry, it's a different DR-entity and NOT subject to your home country's law, but DR law exclusively!) and finally gave in and signed a deposit voucher (usually 4 to 5 thousand USD) with the firm intention to CANCEL that transaction upon coming home from their vacation, just to elegantly wiesel out of the high pressure sales office and get back to the pool and enjoy thinking that they shafted the sales man.
THAT has back fired real bad many times, because even IF your credit card company would love to assist you, YOU signed a BINDING contract IN the DR under DR LAW... which may not provide for the same consumer protections you may enjoy in YOUR country... and yes (yada yada yada)... even if it's a US credit card... you sign HERE you loose ALL you home-grown protection and "thinking periods"... can't carry with you foreign laws!

Here they know that and maybe that's why, if you do not agree to leave a RD$ 6000.oo deposit on your credit card they want RD$ 10'000 in cash(?). So, who's the one potential victim?

... J-D.