Camp David Ranch Hotel

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
fast service

Speed is dependant on how crowded it is. I noticed the few times I have eaten there if the place is busy then the service is faster. I think it is due to the fact that the kitchen has the stoves on and are in production mode. When there are few people there then it takes a little longer to get the stove hot.
John

Sep 20, 2003
As a cook with 20 years experience I can say the food is far from four stars but it is just fine. How ever a few things that strike me are the little things. The mushrooms they use are canned and I can also tell they use a prepackaged gravy mix for the sauces.
I would not cal it gourmet but all in all it is fine. Now if they had four star foods to go with the five star views then it would be really special.

John
Camp David Ranch * Hotel-Restaurante

Thank you for the review and the the website link.

I'm definately going to stay there on my next trip.

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
better view than camp david

i know everyone digs the views at camp david but i think that caffetos on the road to jamao after moca has much better views, you can literaly see the entire cibao valley from up there. camp david is a little overrated.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Jose,
It does have great views... I've only stopped in to check out the view during the day so can't comment on the food. I guess I always considered it too long a drive after a day at work. Must be, what, 30-40 minutes or more from center of Santiago?
Of course, you don't feel like the front of your car is going to flip over the top of you as you climb the hill (like it seems on the ride up to Camp David). Perhaps a good time to mention don't take an underpowered car or one without good brakes up to Camp David.

Plus, there's no hotel there, right? OP's question was about the hotel at Camp David.

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
good point about the car even though the hills up to jamao are pretty steep they cant compare to camp david's

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
road

The area is getting some non government road repairs. It started at the hotel and is working its way down. It is going to be a super 2 lane from top to bottom from what I can see. It is finished from the top down past the second hair pin curve.
BTW when I get any engine work on my car done I take my mechanic up the hill to Camp David to check the work to see if the engine is up to par. If it passes the Camp David test he gets his money.
John

Last edited:

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
camp david test

Threatening the Camp David test would motivate him to do the brakes correctly lol

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
I'm not saying anything negative; However, testing brakes on the Mountain? You may want to think that over again. lol

C

Chip00

Camp David

Is Camp David up the hill from Gurabo?

Also, I heard Bob (laura..fan) say that he had given up on steaks here in the DR. I would say don't do that but try out Rancehro Steakhouse in Santiago - Hillbilly sent me there btw.

I had the house special rare/med. rare and it was one of the best steaks I have ever had in my life. The salad and mashed potatoes with garlic gravy was good too!.

Sep 19, 2005
Is Camp David up the hill from Gurabo?

Also, I heard Bob (laura..fan) say that he had given up on steaks here in the DR. I would say don't do that but try out Rancehro Steakhouse in Santiago - Hillbilly sent me there btw.

I had the house special rare/med. rare and it was one of the best steaks I have ever had in my life. The salad and mashed potatoes with garlic gravy was good too!.

good luck...but I ate at ranchero a few times and the meals I had were very good. I had some chicken with thick gravy( like a steak gravy though) and mushrooms, that strangely was outrageous for the first half of the meal..but then all of the sudden I didnt like it no more...kinda like too much of a good thing, I guess...the portions were generous.

I dont want to ruin any more dinners out trying to see if anyone can cook a good steak...plus i dont know what the best cut is down there to even ask for the best steak...the filets are way less than other steaks price wise

bob

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Bob, next time you're in SD, check out Porterhouse or Davey Croketts...it's worth the price, and Porterhouse has imported USDA prome beef... DC's may also, don't know for sure... you'll get a REAL steak there and for far less than a NY or Miami steakhouse...

As for Camp David's... is it really 1400 or 1500 per night for a room? That seems really reasonable for a place that's so highly regarded...and cheaper than any other decent hotel in Santiago...

Respuestas CDR

Jan 18, 2007
Answers!!! Camp David Ranch

Currently rooms are :
Doble rooms RD$1,500 about US$44.78 (two beds)
Single rooms RD$1,300 about US$38.81 (King size beds)
Stayed there and there re- doing the rooms in the new section and then will re-do the old building!!!

I was there recently and saw a new area where the cars used to be and the place looks amazing!!!!!! its a sort of lobby - lounge with tables for dinner and music at your choice!!
The cars are'nt there yet, they said there being repaired to put them in again. There is a new exhibition of historic books....

As far as food goes there seems to be a new chef there because the presentation was fabulous and the waiter told me the filete is imported tenderlion !!!! so give the place a chance ..apparently things change!!!

jmb

Dec 9, 2005
Camp David is Growing & Getting Better

In this precise moment I am having a "Blondy" Breakfast in the Restaurants' lounge overlooking the city of Santiago....enjoying the climate,tranquility and peace that distinguishes this place! And not only that I am surfing the Internet through the new WIFI FREE HIGH SPEED CONNECTION available at the restaurants saloon..... AWSOME! Don't have to leave so early to work tomorrow! The internet is free for all customers and is much faster than my connection at my job in the city of Santiago! Everyday I love this place more and more.....For the facts the telephones are (809) 276-6400;6401;6402 fax (809) 276-6404. Open 24-7. This message I made from a laptop lent by the restaurant and is available for any customer that needs it. :) :) :) :)