Camping Playa Fronton

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
She's from Laos. We went there for lunch about a year ago and it is amazing on all counts: view, food, service.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Oh come on! You and Frank have no sense of adventure. I have gone up there many times in my Chevy Aveo rental car. I guess I am used to this after growing up in the mountains of PA. However, my wife gets very quiet on the ride up . . .

A donkey or mule can barely make this climb!

Ok, I kid. But not by much!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Oh come on! You and Frank have no sense of adventure. I have gone up there many times in my Chevy Aveo rental car. I guess I am used to this after growing up in the mountains of PA. However, my wife gets very quiet on the ride up . . .

I trust the Brakes on MY personal Truck and car 100% ... Rental Cars & 4 wheel drives , NOT so much..
If you got LOW Rock Climbing gears, its not an issue , but it is a very steep Grade . NO ? and btw since you from PA , I used to ride at Paragon, back in the day... they had some steep ones, as you probably recall. Those did not scare me ., again, i was on a Bike with Brakes I maintained personally..but on the downhill side that one hill as you know you just rode it out, there was no such thing as Applying the Brakes ,that would have been suicide..
Sorry for off topic .. just using as a reference ..

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I trust the Brakes on MY personal Truck and car 100% ... Rental Cars & 4 wheel drives , NOT so much..
If you got LOW Rock Climbing gears, its not an issue , but it is a very steep Grade . NO ? and btw since you from PA , I used to ride at Paragon, back in the day... they had some steep ones, as you probably recall. Those did not scare me ., again, i was on a Bike with Brakes I maintained personally..but on the downhill side that one hill as you know you just rode it out, there was no such thing as Applying the Brakes ,that would have been suicide..
Sorry for off topic .. just using as a reference ..

Paragon? Hazleton PA? I am only 20 minutes from there but never went there. We just went to where they strip mined coal and rode there for free.

Anyway, to bring it back on topic .. . .If you like to flirt with danger, take the new toll highway from El Catey to Las Terrenas. Along the way, if you look up on the mountain there is a look out point, or someone planned to build something up there, so I made a hard right and slammed on the gas and went all the way up. The car barely made it. After I got out of the car and looked around, and looked back down the road, I honestly did not know if we were going to make it back down without destroying the car. We walked the road and swept off the loose gravel because we have to go down a hard turn with just a small dirt bank on the edge instead of guard rails or rocks. Below that was a deep ravine. After getting past that, we had to go down the next hill which was long and steep, and my rental car tires were like bologna skins. My wife was not so quite on that ride, she was freaking out!!
So if anyone wants to check out that scenic view, I would recommend walking up.

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
Did the trip - Ended up hiking in from La Boca del Diablo. About 1.5 hour walk, mild. Camped out the night, great view of the sunrise. Had the place to ourselves until 9 am, when the tour boats all started arriving.

A great trip.