Can somebody tell me where can I buy dollars?

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
It's amazing!!!

Yesterday I went to citibank (Acropolis building) because my cousin wanted to open a savings account, before we get there we called to ask how much was the minimun amount to open the acc so they said USD$500, well my cousin have little bit more than a thousand.. When we were at the bank the lady of the customer service told us that there are some requirements for open the account:
*minimum amount USD$2,500
*The electricity or water or phone bill under your name
*Two photos ID
*1 letter from a bank's reference
*Personnal references
WHAT THE H*** ARE THEY THINKING???
I think is a huge lack of respect!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In the dim and distant past, when I was earning a dollar salary, I opened a dollar account in Citibank. At the time, four or five years ago, the minimum amount was $500 and that's the balance I have there now. Perhaps the rules have changed, but that is no excuse for them giving you contradictory information. Sometimes they don't know their arses from their elbows, it seems.

I am considering taking the $500 out - i.e. closing the account. Although I always found the staff there (suc. Independencia) to be friendly the systems are prehistoric.

Chiri

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
You know chiri I know that every bank has a different politics, but at the end all of them has similar rules.. In every bank you're able to open a dollar account somewhere between USD$400-800, but not 2,500 and what is this list of requeriments!!!. You're taking your money to them and they're asking for papers like if you're going to ask for a loan.. I don't get it.. We all know that maybe when Hippo leaves the power the thing will begin to get better slowly I know, but the dollar problem eventually will improve..

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A common complaint here is that the banks act as if you are asking them for money when you try to withdraw what is after all your own money! Ask Pib.

Chiri

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]Chirimoya[/B] said:
I am considering taking the $500 out - i.e. closing the account. Although I always found the staff there (suc. Independencia) to be friendly the systems are prehistoric.
My best friend had an account in Citibank when she received a notification a couple of months ago that per new policy she could never go below 2500 USD in her account. She soon joined the group of Dominicans whose money is somewhere out of here. BPD also has a 2500 minimum.

And yes, opening a dollar account here is just as difficult as asking for a loan.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
They haven't contacted me about this. Maybe I'd better get down there sharpish and hope for the best they don't deny all knowledge of me and my account!:confused:

Chiri

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
first they kicked me out - 3 years later they offered me coffee!

Here is my story with opening accounts in Banco Popular, Sosua.

Years ago, when I had the first time some Pesos left over, I went to Banco Popular in Sosua to open a normal PESO (note, not Dollar) saving account.
The lady told me I need to bring 3 (!!!) references of 3 Dominicans who are clients of Banco Popular, then I could open an account. At first I thought the lady misunderstood me, and told her again, I just want a normal savings account - no checks, no credit cards, etc. The lady insisted that I need to bring this 3 references.

I couldn't believe it. I asked her what this 3 references should say? That my money is good enough for their bank? That this 3 people say, it's ok that the bank works with my money?
I admit I got quite agree and started to raise my voice.
I told her,if I have to bring this 3 references, then I also want 3 references from Banco Popular - from foreigners, who are clients of their branch and testify that they are satisfied with the bank's service.

This was about the time when the lady called the security guard and they asked me to leave the building.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went directly to a small bank in Cabarete, I opened an account there without any references and requirements, even got offered a Peos checking account beside my saving account.

A few months later I changed my job and the company requested that we open a Peso account at Banco Popular so they can transfer the salary directly. Now I was forced to go there again, allthough I have sworn myself never to enter this building again. But this time I was armed with a letter from the company and of course it was no problem to open the account.

Another few years later, I needed to open an US-Dollar account. So, again I faced (this time another) lady at the desk at Banco Popular and since they had my name now allready from my Pesos account in their files and mentioning Dollars, she got very friendly, opened the account for me within minutes (only 300 US min amount to open) and they even offered me coffee.

quaqualita

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
Not so long ago I opened an account in dollars at scotiabank and they were pretty normal, they didn't ask me for spectaculars requeriments,an Id and some simple questions.. And the minimum wasn't too high.. I have another one at Reservas and was even easier..

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
Re: first they kicked me out - 3 years later they offered me coffee!

quaqualita said:
This was about the time when the lady called the security guard and they asked me to leave the building.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jajaja hey quaqualita thanks god the security system at the popular doesn't took a picture of you and printed out and posted all over the bank with a title
NOT WELCOME !!!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Where do you think the minimum amount goes to?

Answers:

1) The bank keeps it save for you and you can actually get it out if you want (thus closing the account)
2) The bank uses it as collateral against outstanding debt so when they bankrupt you lose your money
3) The bank is forced to 'loan' it to Hippo cum suis in which case it disappears forever.

MD:classic: