Can you enter the DR with a felony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Most of the third world/ developing countries I have visited are the same way.. More often than not, paradise seems to be a sunny place for shady people

I agree up to the point of abusing the definition of 'paradise', the rest, yeh, for sure.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
We welcome alcoholic tourists as long as they are spending money. If the DR enforced drunk driving laws like the US then the prisons would be full to overflowing. Drunk driving is the norm here and is expected. If you are safety conscious then drive drunk only in the daytime so we have a better chance.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
He had 3 in his lifetime. In Michigan that is a felony now. First 2 about 16 and 19 years ago when real young. His 3rd was 2 years ago and was charged with visually impaired .085 which is technically over the limit at .08 but all 3 drinking offenses whether impaired or drunk in your lifetime is a felony now. It's not cool to drink and drive and not trying to minimize what he did.

Can a felon be issued a passport? I am Canadian and I know that he will not be allowed to enter Canada with an impaired driving charge on his record let alone a felony accumulation of three.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
Can a felon be issued a passport? I am Canadian and I know that he will not be allowed to enter Canada with an impaired driving charge on his record let alone a felony accumulation of three.

The answer to my question is here from the US State Dept website

Felony Drug Convictions

While not all felons are barred from applying for and receiving a passport, there are certain drug charges that can keep you from having your application approved. According to U.S. Code Classification Table 2714, if you are convicted of a drug-related felony or certain drug-related misdemeanors, you are ineligible to get a passport during the time you are incarcerated as well as during your court-mandated probation period, and can even have an extant passport taken away.

Child Support Cases

People who have unpaid child support arrears of over $2,500 are not eligible for a U.S. passport. Before you apply for a passport, you must make arrangements in the state where the child support is owed to make the payments; if you have questions about the process or about what is owed, you should contact the nearest child support enforcement agency. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services must remove your name from its list of outstanding arrears and give the U.S. Department of State an updated copy of the list.

Unpaid Federal Loans

If you become incarcerated while traveling abroad and accept financial assistance in the form of a loan from the U.S. government in order to be repatriated back into the country, you must repay the loan before you can get a passport. Similarly, if the government makes a loan to evacuate you and your family back to the U.S., you are required to pay the loan back before you can get a passport. The State Department can also refuse to issue a passport if you have an outstanding unpaid loan.

Minors Without Parental Consent

If you are a minor under 16 years of age and do not get the consent of both of your parents or your legal guardian, your passport application will be denied. In order to get a passport under the age of 16, you must apply in person with a valid form of I.D. with a parent or guardian. If both parents cannot be present, your parent who accompanies you must present evidence of sole custody or provide notarized written consent from the second parent. The third option is to have a third party stand in with a notarized written statement from both parents.

Other Factors

If the State Department decides that you are a real threat to national security or U.S. policy, you may be denied a passport. You will also be disqualified if you have been ruled legally incompetent, are subject to felony arrest or have been forbidden -- by court order, parole or probation -- from leaving the country. Also, your passport can be revoked -- and subsequent applications denied -- if you are found to have obtained a passport through fraudulent means or to have altered a passport. In 2012, legislation was introduced that could revoke or deny passports to people who owe money to the Internal Revenue Service.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

What? Who is asking about Canada?
And by felon, would that be someone with a criminal record? You need to be more specific as I don't think you can be so stupid as to think someone with a criminal record can not get a passport. And I think it is obvious someone in jail can not apply or receive for a passport, and so it is unclear what exactly you mean.
Please do not tell me you are living in a world where only people without criminal backgrounds can move country, that would be one of the most naive things I've heard come out of an adults thoughts from abroad. But that's not what you mean right.

But I see you managed to find out the answer to your own questions......................................:cheeky:

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Wow. 35% of adult blacks in Florida have felony conviction, 14% of the total adult population in Florida have a felony conviction.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Sounds like a guy you should "un know!"

My Dominican friends are a lot worse, seriously, on occasion people on DR1 create threads about them.
What do you expect for some someone who spends all day getting drunk and high
while chasing prostitutes across the island? :disappoin

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Wow. 35% of adult blacks in Florida have felony conviction, 14% of the total adult population in Florida have a felony conviction.

more disbarred lawyers and accountants in Fl than any other state.

Very lenient on bankruptcies - they say... you get to keep your house.

So they bury their $$$$ in a several million house, & move in.

Voila - instant protection......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

or with a wacky tobaccy conviction....

DUI and MJ offenses are federal in Canada.

Many a large US corporate President has been denied entry for a big meeting in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.