Canadian female wanting to move

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I did meet a young man there at the resort who works there, very nice, soft spoken guy. Taught me Spanish, took me out dancing on my last night there, we exchanged facebooks, emails, and phone numbers to keep in touch. Now he messages me "Te quiero mucho, te quiero mi amor, etc" and calls me like 7 times in a row if I dont answer. IS THIS NORMAL? Is it a casual thing to throw around the "I love you" card?

LOL... JMB wins the prize.

Anyway... let's see... you visited an A.I. in P.C., spent an afternoon outside of the resort... and now you're going to move to the D.R. Good plan. Adventurous if nothing else, (I applaud that); but more than a little naive. OH... and add to that, you're worried about how to handle guys because you're just SO freakin' "attractive" that people won't leave you alone??? I hope you grow up a little before 2014.

Last edited:

cnhrvt

Nov 21, 2012
LOL... JMB wins the prize.

Anyway... let's see... you visited an A.I. in P.C., spent an afternoon outside of the resort... and now you're going to move to the D.R. Good plan. Adventurous if nothing else, (I applaud that); but more than a little naive. OH... and add to that, you're worried about how to handle guys because you're just SO freakin' "attractive" that people won't leave you alone??? I hope you grow up a little before 2014.

It is folks like yourself that force me to have to put a disclaimer before I mention anything to do with my looks. Which is rather unfortunate. Excuse me for being confident in myself and self aware, but Im also taking precautions as I have been forewarned by others who are from the country, and people who have visited that this is a concern.

If you actually read into some of the finer details rather than the ones that seem to "put you off", you would see that I am not going tomorrow. I am waiting until 2014. And I do plan on visiting before hand for a month or so, with my friend who lived there for a few years, to get a feel for everything, volunteer in a clinic/animal hospital, and perfect my Spanish. I didn't think I'd have to lay out my entire game plan for everyone so as not to "offend" anyone with my "niave-ness". I am not a girl with island fever, I am not a girl going there to find a husband. I want to go there to volunteer, work, experience culture. This move is mostly career oriented after visiting local villages and seeing the strays and how largely populated it is with livestock. I practice the "best medicine" or "gold standard" medicine in Canada. I am very passionate about my job, and want to bring that knowledge and expertise into another country that may not utilize veterinary technicians the way they are used here. And if I can do that on a volunteer/low income basis, I think that is something that I'd like to offer, especially being young and being able to afford it at the time.

I hope that you are a little less negative and open minded in what my intentions are over there, now that I have had to unfortunately explain myself to get some decent answers.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Is this a Dominican-Republic thing ?

Why do people want to move to a country after a 2 week trip (in a resort at that) ?

Travel, travel, travel the world is a big beautiful place.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I did meet a young man there at the resort who works there, very nice, soft spoken guy. Taught me Spanish, took me out dancing on my last night there, we exchanged facebooks, emails, and phone numbers to keep in touch. Now he messages me "Te quiero mucho, te quiero mi amor, etc" and calls me like 7 times in a row if I dont answer. IS THIS NORMAL? Is it a casual thing to throw around the "I love you" card?

They teach this in Animation class, set up Fayboo for these nice soft spoken young Sankys.

Why do people want to move to a country after a 2 week trip (in a resort at that) ?

The OP is enamored with The Chocolate Friends Animation team @ Hamaca, but wants to help animals, sounds like a win win situation if she has a year's salary in the bank.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
cnhrvt,

Welcome to dr1.com. You need to excuse the other posters who are attacking your idea and your dream. They are jaded from their own disappointments and ruined Dominican dreams.

I know nothing about the veterinary field in the Dominican Republic. I think you should be able to find a place to rent for much less than $2,500 per month, or if you do rent a place for that kind of money, it should be palatial.

Dominican romance is fraught with peril. Canadian rules of love do not apply.

Whatever you do, just go into it with your eyes wide open.

All the luck!

cnhrvt

Nov 21, 2012

I DO plan on travelling! LOL I dont understand why everyone on here thinks Im just selling everything I own here and taking off forever. It's for a year, or 2 max. I also plan on travelling FROM DR to Costa Rica, and wherever else the wind takes me. I am young! I want to live in different places. I dont have island fever, I have "Anywhere But Here" fever. I've been to Asia, the US frequently, stay in hostels, I booked an all inclusive because it was my Mothers birthday, and that was her surprise, and also to have a safe haven to go to if we ever felt unsafe.

What I cannot comprehend for the life of me, is why many of you seem to be hostile towards anyone who wants to move there? This is the forum for that very purpose is it not? To explore, get inside information? Yes, I met a boy while I was there, and he tells me he loves me. I inquired about it, SO WHAT? Am I foolish for being "culture shocked" by this and asking about it? It's not the reason I'm going there. LOL I'm somewhat amused but also frustrated that these are the minor details most of you are focusing on! I want to know about the farming industry, veterinary hospitals, safe places to live, how to safely avoid advances/confrontation, rescue shelters/organizations, etc. Not how to not get pregnant and how every guy is going to try and play me. This happens everywhere, and I have NO interest in dating or becoming involved with anyone out there or anywhere. I likely wont even have the time.

They teach this in Animation class, set up Fayboo for these nice soft spoken young Sankys.

And he actually isnt part of the animation team, he works in the kitchen and brings out food. I smiled, said hello, and asked him what he recommended, and we started talking more. Everything else just followed. Nice kid, really. But I dont do the "L word"..

cnhrvt,

Welcome to dr1.com. You need to excuse the other posters who are attacking your idea and your dream. They are jaded from their own disappointments and ruined Dominican dreams.

Ahhh.. I saw this after. Lol Thanks for the chuckle.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I DO plan on travelling! LOL I dont understand why everyone on here thinks Im just selling everything I own here and taking off forever. It's for a year, or 2 max. I also plan on travelling FROM DR to Costa Rica, and wherever else the wind takes me. I am young! I want to live in different places. I dont have island fever, I have "Anywhere But Here" fever. I've been to Asia, the US frequently, stay in hostels, I booked an all inclusive because it was my Mothers birthday, and that was her surprise, and also to have a safe haven to go to if we ever felt unsafe.

What I cannot comprehend for the life of me, is why many of you seem to be hostile towards anyone who wants to move there? This is the forum for that very purpose is it not? To explore, get inside information? Yes, I met a boy while I was there, and he tells me he loves me. I inquired about it, SO WHAT? Am I foolish for being "culture shocked" by this and asking about it? It's not the reason I'm going there. LOL I'm somewhat amused but also frustrated that these are the minor details most of you are focusing on! I want to know about the farming industry, veterinary hospitals, safe places to live, how to safely avoid advances/confrontation, rescue shelters/organizations, etc. Not how to not get pregnant and how every guy is going to try and play me. This happens everywhere, and I have NO interest in dating or becoming involved with anyone out there or anywhere. I likely wont even have the time.

And he actually isnt part of the animation team, he works in the kitchen and brings out food. I smiled, said hello, and asked him what he recommended, and we started talking more. Everything else just followed. Nice kid, really. But I dont do the "L word"..

OK, my bad.

You should explore other countries for volunteering opportunity as well, don't limit yourself to DR.

The nice kid in the resort, forget it, you're young and attractive, you'll have plenty of opportunities ;)

Good luck !

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
if you are serious about the vet industry pm me for any info. i am not posting in this thread anymore.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Why is it the threads that start with "looking to move to DR" almost always have something to do with a man/woman? Pleaseee you should only consider moving here after much research has been done and because it has NOTHING to do with someone you met and only knew for a very short time. Most that move here on a "whim" in the end are very disappointed and at times heartbroken.

cnhrvt

Nov 21, 2012
Why is it the threads that start with "looking to move to DR" almost always have something to do with a man/woman? Pleaseee you should only consider moving here after much research has been done and because it has NOTHING to do with someone you met and only knew for a very short time. Most that move here on a "whim" in the end are very disappointed and at times heartbroken.

I don't think you read anything else I wrote. I have no interest in anyone here.. I met someone here while vacationing and kept in touch, and inquired about the casual "I love you's" being thrown around, and if that is a normal thing over there. This is my research, and this is where my research is beginning. Some real-life knowledge from people before I believe the Wikipedia version of DR.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Nope read all you wrote unfortunately when you mentioned meeting someone on vacation for me your story took on a new meaning. I can only offer this: Do alot of research before making that move. Maybe visit and stay somewhere other than a resort to get a "feel" of things. Have a backup plan and backup money. I have been here over 20 years and while I have grown to love it here it was not easy by no means. And most important be very careful who you associate with. Locals and expats alike.

cnhrvt

Nov 21, 2012
Nope read all you wrote unfortunately when you mentioned meeting someone on vacation for me your story took on a new meaning. I can only offer this: Do alot of research before making that move. Maybe visit and stay somewhere other than a resort to get a "feel" of things. Have a backup plan and backup money. I have been here over 20 years and while I have grown to love it here it was not easy by no means. And most important be very careful who you associate with. Locals and expats alike.

It is not that black and white.
Yes I did meet someone here. But he was not the only person I met. I met a wonderful man, his wife who he later introduced to me and my mother, and his 1.5 year old baby. I met his boss, who spoke ZERO English, and we got along great using props around the store, along with my beginners Spanish to communicate. I met a young friendly guy at the airport who I asked to take a picture with my Mom, and we are "Facebook friends". I have kept in touch with all of them through email, facebook, etc. It was only that one that was throwing around the L word, so I asked about it. I guess there is no convincing someone, especially if you do not know me, but I do not have any interest in dating, settling down, marriage, etc. Not here, not there, not anywhere. I'm too young to care about any of that. If someone great comes along, I'll cross that very rocky bridge when I get there, but I am not looking for love.

But like you said, it took on a very new meaning FOR YOU. So I thank you for your advice, and your opinion, in however it meant to you. At the end of the day, every little bit helps. So thank you everyone for any help.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Don't worry about your looks, there are tons of Dominican women who look better than you and I put together (And I look pretty damn hot!). They will approach you because you are Canadian, not because you look good. The fat, greasy haired, smoker expat women get the same amount of attention. Have some nice little quips ready in response, or just keep walking. Me....I have too much mouth, so I usually respond. Never negatively, always flirtingly but that they know that they have no chance. You will hear things from simple "You are beautiful" to very explicit. Here are a few I hear

"Ay Mi Madre! Que cul?n!! Tu necesita una guarda-espalda, Mami???" (accompanied with biting or licking of lips)
"Ya me puedo morir que yo he visto la morena mas bella del mundo" (accompanied with fake heart attack acting)
"Morena, mi amorcote, por favor dame un chaaaaaance" (accompanied by praying hands)

This is all normal...they will say the same things to the next 3 girls walking pass also. Like I said, ignore it and keep walking or say something a little flirty back but always keep walking....
My two favorite things to say are...
When given a compliment...
"Hmph! Ya tu saaaaaabes" (accompanied with a wink)

When being stared at and through
"Toma una foto Mi Vida, te vale mas" (accompanied with a nice stride past them and a little extra switching of the booty. This cannot be pulled off correctly in shorts, you must have skin tight jeans and heels for that to look good, sorry)

Anyway, its a game. Ignore it or play it. I in fact love it and love to hear the new lines they come up with. It's fun. And if you're ever down, just go to a crowded area full of Dominicans and walk just one block. It's worth it's weight in self-esteem gold. Just NEVER EVER EVER mistake it for true sentiment....

SHALENA

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
"Ay Mi Madre! Que cul?n!! Tu necesita una guarda-espalda, Mami???" (accompanied with biting or licking of lips)
"Ya me puedo morir que yo he visto la morena mas bella del mundo" (accompanied with fake heart attack acting)
"Morena, mi amorcote, por favor dame un chaaaaaance" (accompanied by praying hands)

"Mami, vamos a llenarte esa barriga de gente"

"Mi amol, dime quien es tu ginecologo pa chupale lo guante"

"Pst...Pssst...Voltea pa que te enamores"

hahaha

Back to topic.
Cnhvrt, I believe you. You sound like a well focused girl. In previous posts I advised you to be patient and not to take things posted here personal. You see, anyone who has lived here for years knows many, many stories that started like yours. I'm not saying that is your case, in fact by now I'm sure that is NOT your case. But you have to excuse us and bear with us here. Hundreds of boys and girls come every year saying THAT is not going to happen to them. They always have a story about coming down here to blend in and learn about a new culture, or things like that. I think I can read between lines and tell you are not one of them, and that those are your real motivations. But don't blame the guys and girls from DR1 for being skeptical. When you hear a rap song, the rapper always says he's got a lot of money and plenty of girls dying for him, so nobody believes any of them, not even those who are actually loaded and girl magnets. Being the exemption is never easy, and that is something you're gonna have to live with not only in DR1, but in the real DR, too...

cnhrvt

Nov 21, 2012
But you have to excuse us and bear with us here. Hundreds of boys and girls come every year saying THAT is not going to happen to them. They always have a story about coming down here to blend in and learn about a new culture, or things like that. I think I can read between lines and tell you are not one of them, and that those are your real motivations. But don't blame the guys and girls from DR1 for being skeptical.

Haha, I completely understand where you, and everyone else is coming from. It is just difficult when everyone is straying off topic to this boy I hung out with for a day, rather than my real concerns! Oh well. I guess I'll just lurk, read, jot notes, offer my input, ask, until the time comes where I'm taking off. It truly is a beautiful place with wonderful people, such a humbling experience, really. Thank you again :cheeky:

Anyway, its a game. Ignore it or play it. I in fact love it and love to hear the new lines they come up with. It's fun. And if you're ever down, just go to a crowded area full of Dominicans and walk just one block. It's worth it's weight in self-esteem gold.

SHALENA

Aww this definitely made my day! You definitely got a mouth on you! Lol. I usually just look away and keep walking. I'm just worried about the more aggressive, drunk, whatever else could pose dangerous. The casual flirting is fine, I'm used to that. But I just want to be prepared. I guess during my 1-2 month visit, I'll figure it out. :D Thanks girl!

Last edited:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Aww this definitely made my day! You definitely got a mouth on you! Lol. I usually just look away and keep walking. I'm just worried about the more aggressive, drunk, whatever else could pose dangerous. The casual flirting is fine, I'm used to that. But I just want to be prepared. I guess during my 1-2 month visit, I'll figure it out. :D Thanks girl!

Drunk Dominicans are not like drunk expats, or at least not from what I've experienced. If you are firm they usually leave you alone, some may even apologize if they feel that they've really offended you. I'm never too firm....I love compliments :)

SHALENA

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Don't worry about your looks, there are tons of Dominican women who look better than you and I put together (And I look pretty damn hot!). They will approach you because you are Canadian, not because you look good. The fat, greasy haired, smoker expat women get the same amount of attention. Have some nice little quips ready in response, or just keep walking. Me....I have too much mouth, so I usually respond. Never negatively, always flirtingly but that they know that they have no chance. You will hear things from simple "You are beautiful" to very explicit. Here are a few I hear

This is all normal...they will say the same things to the next 3 girls walking pass also. Like I said, ignore it and keep walking or say something a little flirty back but always keep walking....
My two favorite things to say are...
When given a compliment...
"Hmph! Ya tu saaaaaabes" (accompanied with a wink)

When being stared at and through
"Toma una foto Mi Vida, te vale mas" (accompanied with a nice stride past them and a little extra switching of the booty. This cannot be pulled off correctly in shorts, you must have skin tight jeans and heels for that to look good, sorry)

Anyway, its a game. Ignore it or play it. I in fact love it and love to hear the new lines they come up with. It's fun. And if you're ever down, just go to a crowded area full of Dominicans and walk just one block. It's worth it's weight in self-esteem gold. Just NEVER EVER EVER mistake it for true sentiment....

SHALENA

I just got wood.........