Canadians hang out place in Sosua

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that's really not what this thread is all about. i suggest you go back to look at OP's earlier posts...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Why come to a foreign country only to hang out with your fellow countrymen??

Canadians tend to be friendly social creatures (me being the exception). They can be fun to be around and tolerant of the quirks of others. Of all the people in the world I can think of to be stranded with on a desert island in the middle of the ocean, I'd probably hand pick a few Canadians.

It would be a false assumption to assume that everyone who has moved to the DR came for the people, their culture and Mangu. I am sure more than just me came for the sun, surf and palm trees and "we" accepted that paradise comes with little brown people (just for you G) who speak Spanish and can't produce a decent beer, those who some choose to ignore unless absolutely necessary.

It is nice once in a while to spend time with others who share a common experience, are worldly in their perceptions and aren't trying to make a peso every waking moment. Want to have a good time without all the standard baggage, kidnap a Canadian, they'll probably thank you for it.

So yeah, if Dream City erects a social centre with a Canadian theme and it caught on, I'd go too just to do my part to further the literal Monty Python expression, "nod, nod, wink, wink, say no more" that all Canadians understand.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Even Las Vegas hasn't attempted a Canadian themed resort. A huge igloo would be cool.

Given the size of Sosua, I can't think of a place where you won't find Canadians.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
An Igloo .... cool ?

how about freezing..??

I know warm inside, ice outside.... just saying... imagery is bad... cool igloo

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Canadians tend to be friendly social creatures (me being the exception). They can be fun to be around and tolerant of the quirks of others. Of all the people in the world I can think of to be stranded with on a desert island in the middle of the ocean, I'd probably hand pick a few Canadians.

It would be a false assumption to assume that everyone who has moved to the DR came for the people, their culture and Mangu. I am sure more than just me came for the sun, surf and palm trees and "we" accepted that paradise comes with little brown people (just for you G) who speak Spanish and can't produce a decent beer, those who some choose to ignore unless absolutely necessary.

It is nice once in a while to spend time with others who share a common experience, are worldly in their perceptions and aren't trying to make a peso every waking moment. Want to have a good time without all the standard baggage, kidnap a Canadian, they'll probably thank you for it.

So yeah, if Dream City erects a social centre with a Canadian theme and it caught on, I'd go too just to do my part to further the literal Monty Python expression, "nod, nod, wink, wink, say no more" that all Canadians understand.

I have nothing against a Canadian Club in Sosua or anywhere, for that matter. it’s just not something I would frequent. There are Canadian enclaves in Mexico, Puerto Rico, Belize, Columbia, Florida, etc. and I’m sure they serve a useful purpose. I run into fellow Canadian travellers everywhere I go and A brief chat is all I really need. Anytime I want news from home, my cell phone and IPad serve that purpose. I like the Buddhist philosophy of living in the moment. When I’m in the DR, Canada is the furthest thing from my mind. Maybe growing up on an Island (Newfoundland) has made me more insular and allows me to focus on where I am.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have nothing against a Canadian Club in Sosua or anywhere, for that matter. it’s just not something I would frequent. There are Canadian enclaves in Mexico, Puerto Rico, Belize, Columbia, Florida, etc. and I’m sure they serve a useful purpose. I run into fellow Canadian travellers everywhere I go and A brief chat is all I really need. Anytime I want news from home, my cell phone and IPad serve that purpose. I like the Buddhist philosophy of living in the moment. When I’m in the DR, Canada is the furthest thing from my mind. Maybe growing up on an Island (Newfoundland) has made me more insular and allows me to focus on where I am.

I know a number of Canadians here in Jarabacoa. They are all nice people but I don't socialize with them, but that's on me not them. They are also very busy people just like me, none of them are retirees.