Car engine “broken”

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
They have found a motor but the head is cracked or missing. So they want to use the head from my car and of course a new head gasket.
I don't like that plan either. What's actually broken on your engine and why is the head cracked/missing from the donor short block?

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I don't like that plan either. What's actually broken on your engine and why is the head cracked/missing from the donor short block?
The short block arrived like that. Someone said the head got damaged in transit but looking at photos of 'the Kia it may have been damaged in the accident . the. Mechanic was never clear as y what was broken exactly.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
so the Sorento 2015 "should" be ok
Should be. Goggle the exact model and check a few websites. There is a ton of good info out there.
I am not a big Kia fan but there are a lot of them out there and the people I know that have them really like them.

Jan 9, 2004
The short block arrived like that. Someone said the head got damaged in transit but looking at photos of 'the Kia it may have been damaged in the accident . the. Mechanic was never clear as y what was broken exactly.
So, at a minimum, make sure they change oil/filter, timing belt, and water pump...........

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Given that the head on the used motor is cracked, I would concur with JD’s suggestion above in purchasing a factory oem short block……..especially if you intend to keep the vehicle.

While a used motor may come with a warranty from the seller, they do not cover the cost to install…….so if it is defective too………you will get a replacement…….but the labor to install and uninstall and then install that replacement is not covered by the seller.

And the key to getting this done with minimal further negative impact to you will be the knowledge and experience of your mechanic.

I have been privy to many a stand-off between the seller of a used motor and the mechanic doing the install. Each blaming the other when a used motor does not function properly when installed…….and the customer becomes the ultimate loser in that battle.

Note that this is not an attempt to influence you in any way, but merely to inform you of the possibilities.

Again, good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
There are no real warranties in DR - just a gimic.
If you replace the head and plane the block use and oversize head gasket (thicker) so the timing chain isn't too long. The tensioner only takes up a little

Reactions: La Profe_1