Car rental at SDQ

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
I want to rent a car at the airport and find that all the providers seem to offer pretty much identical prices for a compact car.
Any opinions on who appears to have an edge in service, i.e. newer cars, better customer attention, easier/closer pick up and drop off and the like?

dunroamin

Oct 12, 2010
Much of a muchness

Airport rentals

The Car rental outfits I have used have been pretty similar, though my experience with others is not recent as I now stick to Nelly

The firms pay a 10% tax to the airport so it is cheaper to rent off airport. It is only worth it if your hire is for a longish period as you will pay about USD80 in taxi fares for the trips to the airport.

Enjoy your trip

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Airport rentals

The Car rental outfits I have used have been pretty similar,...........

Enjoy your trip
I agree.

All the major companies have pick up and drop off at the same location at SDQ. I use Alamo/National most of the times and have not had any major problems. Try not to rent the economy vehicle because for a few dollars more the compact is so much better. Not often but sometimes you might find small discounts on the rental. I believe it is Dollar or Budget gives 10% off when using Amex. Alamo/National occasionally has coupons for $20 off or free day rental.

Be sure to have the proper insurance. I use my CC for free CDW and purchase third party liability along with tire and windshield protection.

My best advice is to try to avoid driving at night whenever possible.