Car Rental Rip Off!!!!!!!

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Basic car rental 101

Almost all Visa and Master Cards issued in the US carry damage insurance for car rentals in the DR. You must charge the full amount on the card and you must decline the insurance offered by the agency. Your rental period cannot exceed 31 days. This coverage is free. The agency will charge your card for cost of the damage to the vehicle and Visa/Master Card will refund your expense when you return to the states. I just had a $4100US claim refunded.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Golfer said:
Almost all Visa and Master Cards issued in the US carry damage insurance for car rentals in the DR. You must charge the full amount on the card and you must decline the insurance offered by the agency. Your rental period cannot exceed 31 days. This coverage is free. The agency will charge your card for cost of the damage to the vehicle and Visa/Master Card will refund your expense when you return to the states. I just had a $4100US claim refunded.
This is the second time I have heard this in the last few days.
Sounds to me like this is the best way to go, and maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask to test the vehicle, when renting from tiny private car rental joints.

khamari

Aug 5, 2003
Rocky said:
This is the second time I have heard this in the last few days.
Sounds to me like this is the best way to go, and maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask to test the vehicle, when renting from tiny private car rental joints.

Not only the tiny ones, unfortunately. I recently (21 NOv 05) rented from Alamo in Santiago airport. Within 20 - 30 minutes of leaving the airport, at night, I had the scare of my life; the brakes went out. The pedal went all the way to the floor. At the moment that I discovered this, there was a huge truck trying to get over onto the shoulder where I was trying to stop the car. I still don't know how I avoided getting smashed by the truck. The reps did come out and bring me a new car in about 45 minutes. Still, be very careful.
K