Carambola/Star fruit seeds

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I made a big pot of carambola juice to keep me busy while Emily was passing by and I kept all the seeds if anyone is interested. These are the best carambolas; sweet taste not bitter at all. Planted the seeds about 3 years ago and last year we were already picking up the fresh fruits.

ydv0o.jpg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'd love some for our house, but won't be back there for about 6 months. Would they still be good?

Any chance you have a few old pots you could plant some in and I'll pick them up when we get there???

I'll trade you for some more goodies for the girls at the orphanage:cheeky::cheeky:

AE

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Lots of pots... I'll start a few for you and they'll be ready to transplant when you arrive.

Aug 4, 2011
I have been growing one on my balcony and I can say they are very slow growing trees, mine is two years old and still only six inches high.

I was given the seed by a friend of mine , he says it will grow old with us

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Mmmm...strange as mine have grown so quickly! I first started them in a small pot and when they were about 30 inches (didn't take long) I transplanted them to the garden and they grew real fast from then on.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Maybe Juanita's did well because they're in the ground, rather than in a pot on a balcony.

I'll let you know how they do when we plant them

AE

Elton Silva

Jan 15, 2013
seeds

Mmmm...strange as mine have grown so quickly! I first started them in a small pot and when they were about 30 inches (didn't take long) I transplanted them to the garden and they grew real fast from then on.

i bought some seeds on ebay and i try many ways to growing them and no success. i try yogurt cup with soil inside a plastic bag and a light to heat, and nothing, try yogurt cup with very water, and other with winters clime and non of them grows yet. any ideas??

thanks for your time

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
funny I put two in the soil and now have two small trees 100 percent success rate, mind you fruit trees need to be grafted to get the right variety usually

....but they wont grow if you live in Alaska

Elton Silva

Jan 15, 2013
carambola

funny I put two in the soil and now have two small trees 100 percent success rate, mind you fruit trees need to be grafted to get the right variety usually

....but they wont grow if you live in Alaska

yes i know that, i live in Portugal but i don't know if the seeds are from grafted tree. is true, have been almost half a year and still nothing

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
In Portugal the only region where you can cultivate carambola is in "Madeira" island, due to the climate, in Continental Portugal the clime is to cold (unless you cultivate her in a greenhouse), the frost will kill the plant.
JT

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
I have a known cultivar that is super sweet that you could graft from -