toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic | HardballTalk

St. Louis Cardinals Prospect Oscar Taveras Killed In Car Crash

Oscar Taveras Stats, News, Pictures, Bio, Videos - St. Louis Cardinals - ESPN

"Oscar Taveras has passed away after a car accident in the Dominican Republic
Bill Baer Oct 26, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT

We regret to bring you some very sad news on on this Sunday night: Cardinals outfielder Oscar Taveras and his girlfriend were killed in a car accident Saturday afternoon in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic. The report is confirmed by Dionisio Soldevila of ESPN Deportes and Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports. Taveras was 22."

"Dionisio Soldevila
‏@dSoldevila
Confirmed: Cardinals' prospect Oscar Taveras was killed in a car accident along with hits girlfriend in Puerto Plata."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/10/oscar-taveras-dies-in-car-accident.html

"Oscar Taveras Dies In Car Accident
By Charlie Wilmoth [October 26, 2014 at 7:25pm CDT]

Cardinals outfielder Oscar Taveras has died in a car accident in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, Dionisio Soldevila of ESPNDeportes confirms (via Twitter). Taveras’ girlfriend also reportedly passed away. A variety of outlets from the Dominican Republic had reported news of the accident. Taveras was 22 years old. Soldevila notes that the police report indicates that Taveras’ car had veered off the road.

“Obviously, we have deep condolences to his family. We are still waiting for more details before issuing a full statement,” said Cardinals GM John Mozeliak, via MLB.com’s Jen Langosch (on Twitter).

Taveras signed with the Cardinals in 2008 and, within a few years, became one of the top young talents in the game — he was widely regarded as a top-five overall prospect before both the 2013 and 2014 seasons. He had just begun his career in the big leagues, playing in 80 games with the Cardinals this season. Among his career highlights was a dramatic home run in Game 2 of this year’s NLCS against the Giants. Most prospect evaluators considered Taveras to have superstar potential."

Last edited:

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
R.I.P Oscar Taveras and Jamaly Arvelo

This is so tragic.. both parents to a young baby gone in the blink of an eye. Forget about the baseball part, these were two genuinely nice people, who seem to be in love, always together when he came home... gone just like that. An orphan left behind. My sincere condolences to the families.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is so tragic.. both parents to a young baby gone in the blink of an eye. Forget about the baseball part, these were two genuinely nice people, who seem to be in love, always together when he came home... gone just like that. An orphan left behind. My sincere condolences to the families.

this is so sad. i have no words.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
no one has heard anything about this....in p.p. a big accident everyone should be talking takes hours to clear...maybe more....

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
The more famous you are the more famous your statistic. Sorry to hear that they lost their lives so young. Doesn't say whether or not it was a single car or multiple car accident.
I'm told single car. His car hit a tree in between Sosua and Cabarete. I saw a pic of the destroyed car and also of Oscar after the accident, it had to be a fearsome collision. Once again R.IP to the two families and may God guide the toddler who has been left behind to mourn his parents.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Very sad. Life is so short, never to be taken for granted.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Worst country in the world to drive. Nobody cares when the average person dies. Nobody is in a rush to do anything here, but put them behind the wheel of a car or bike and they drive like a maniac.

When someone famous dies, the country takes notice. Hopefully the celebrity status or the insurance companies will push for change. People here cannot even understand the concept of lowering their high beams when an oncoming car is approaching.

Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic | HardballTalk

St. Louis Cardinals Prospect Oscar Taveras Killed In Car Crash

Oscar Taveras Stats, News, Pictures, Bio, Videos - St. Louis Cardinals - ESPN

"Oscar Taveras has passed away after a car accident in the Dominican Republic
Bill Baer Oct 26, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT

We regret to bring you some very sad news on on this Sunday night: Cardinals outfielder Oscar Taveras and his girlfriend were killed in a car accident Saturday afternoon in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic. The report is confirmed by Dionisio Soldevila of ESPN Deportes and Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports. Taveras was 22."

"Dionisio Soldevila
‏@dSoldevila
Confirmed: Cardinals' prospect Oscar Taveras was killed in a car accident along with hits girlfriend in Puerto Plata."

Oscar Taveras Dies In Car Accident – MLB Trade Rumors

"Oscar Taveras Dies In Car Accident
By Charlie Wilmoth [October 26, 2014 at 7:25pm CDT]

Cardinals outfielder Oscar Taveras has died in a car accident in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, Dionisio Soldevila of ESPNDeportes confirms (via Twitter). Taveras? girlfriend also reportedly passed away. A variety of outlets from the Dominican Republic had reported news of the accident. Taveras was 22 years old. Soldevila notes that the police report indicates that Taveras? car had veered off the road.

?Obviously, we have deep condolences to his family. We are still waiting for more details before issuing a full statement,? said Cardinals GM John Mozeliak, via MLB.com?s Jen Langosch (on Twitter).

Taveras signed with the Cardinals in 2008 and, within a few years, became one of the top young talents in the game ? he was widely regarded as a top-five overall prospect before both the 2013 and 2014 seasons. He had just begun his career in the big leagues, playing in 80 games with the Cardinals this season. Among his career highlights was a dramatic home run in Game 2 of this year?s NLCS against the Giants. Most prospect evaluators considered Taveras to have superstar potential."

It was a horrible night for driving, bad storm and on the way back from CMC we were all going 20 and I saw 30 cars pulled over to wait out the storm. By the looks of his car he was not going slow and I know people who were good friends with him and he liked to drink... a lot. Just saying it may not have been anyone else's fault but his own.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Exactly, probably no place to go, but hammer down on the throttle despite wet roads and no visibility. Maybe your observation is not specific to him but I see this driving all the time, as well as people on crutches and mangled cars. I saw a small pickup hit a speedbump at about 60 mph leave sparks for 25 feet, and the seated cop just shook his head and went back to sleep.

It was a horrible night for driving, bad storm and on the way back from CMC we were all going 20 and I saw 30 cars pulled over to wait out the storm. By the looks of his car he was not going slow and I know people who were good friends with him and he liked to drink... a lot. Just saying it may not have been anyone else's fault but his own.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
We saw a Haitian driving a moto - with woman ( wife ?? ) and newborn - wipe out on a backstreet in Sabaneta today. He managed to avoid hitting a stopped moto, that he couldn't see ( as he was passing - on the WRONG side of another vehicle , at high speed ). I know - a real cluster-****. The lady is thrown clear and is down, in the street, and somehow managed to protect the baby. Baby is ok - and mother not badly hurt ( at least she is up and walking around). So what happens ? The two moto's get into a big macho shouting match. No one appears to give a **** about the mother and baby. Worst county in the world to drive You betcha