Carnaval 2013 in La Vega

Kantana

Mar 25, 2012
Please contact Pedro Anderson.

Just curious but the OP's question wasn't really answered...is the last Sunday better than the actual Independence Day celebration on the 27th? I will be in DR from 2/23 thru 3/2 and want to know where to party!! Also if anyone knows of a good honest driver with a car or SUV big enough for 5? I am staying in a 2 bedroom suite in Puerto Plata and can offer a bedroom plus $$ for the right person! I will need a pick up from Santo Domingo Airport to the resort. Thanx guys!

Contact Pedro Anderson. ( your santiagodriver@gmail.com) I believe this is his e-mail address. He is a level head young man who is very professional. He is both American and Dominican, and speaks english and spanish with ease and flair. I used his service in December and was very satisfied. I truely admired his level headedness, patience and the extra length he goes to satisfy his customers. He knows every corner of the D.R. like the back of his hand and knows places to avoid in each city. He has a comfortable SUV, and I believe he will provide you and your party with great service.

Patron

Mar 17, 2010
Vip cost from 50 pesos to a couple thousand pesos. Prices vary depending on which place you go. Lots of bars, restaurants and houses have vip areas.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If purchase VIP would it be safe for kids? 11, 7, and 8 ?

NO, NO , & NO!
It is a MOSH PIT/stampede, chaotic mess.
VIP just means 2500 people get to be pushed in a separate staging area with bleachers.
RD 100 gets you the privilege of being pushed and shoved and pick pocketed.
SOME/not all areas are like this on Carnaval Sundays in La Vega, just a heads up, it has the potential to be a major league $hitshow.

Last edited:

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
I've understood on the last sunday in feb there's usually also a big concert in La Vega. Any infomation about this ?

May 29, 2006
Keep the ATM cards at home and only bring enough cash for the day. Wrapping a rubber band around your wallet/cell phone makes it much harder to pickpocket. Most pickpockets work in pairs or teams with one person distracting and the other picking.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
I started this thread so here's a little feedback:
Security: I had no issues and I didn't feel insecure, but I also had nothing in my pockets, didn't carry anything, didn't drink much and didn't stay til dark. I stayed most of the time besides the first large VIP-Area at that end of the street where they start. Also walked the whole street thru - no problems. Didn't stay til dark because of the concert in the stadium.
VIP: The common price for VIP seemed to be 200-300 peso, some offered free drinking for 500p. I stayed on the street but one could easily find a VIP with decent atmosphere.
Vejigas: Normally no problem. But some of the guys were drunken enough to hit with all force and that hurts. Men are not a target but if you a woman with a nice butt - watch out !
Bierprice: 30 peso for a lata.
Concert: A concert of Prince Royce in the stadium free of charge. Start at 9pm. Again feeling secure and comfort, 10 m from the stage. In Youtube there are videos from the concert, search for "Prince Royce La Vega".
Accomodation: I stayed at El Rey, nice rooms and friendly staff.
Would I do it again: Yes, but only if the concert is interesting.