Carnival in DR

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
Is there a calendar anywhere on DR1 or elsewhere that lists all the various carnival parades and festivities? I haven't seen one anywhere, and keep getting conflicting info about what is happening on what day and where. Thanks in advance.

May 31, 2005
Oh man. I went this past Sunday to La Vega and my butt is still sore. Next carnaval I will sit it out in a viewing area. I had a blast though.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I want to go, and had planned to go but I do NOT want to be hit or have my children hit. If we do not walk along the main part of the parade to stay safe from hitting, can you still see what's going on?
SHALENA

There are many viewing areas that are above street level and totally safe from being hit...I believe many are advance reserved or at least have a small fee for sitting there. at most intersections are "cuevas" (caves) which are relatively safe but often SUPER loud with their own music...

Sep 19, 2005
There are many viewing areas that are above street level and totally safe from being hit...I believe many are advance reserved or at least have a small fee for sitting there. at most intersections are "cuevas" (caves) which are relatively safe but often SUPER loud with their own music...

I got the impression that most if not almost all of the raised viewing stands were private and or special seating.

my friends had one built on his mothers property t 2 years ago and it was safe and convienent. the stand was actually INSIDE her fenced yard!!!! double nice...so no strangers could walk up into the stands. but the friont row was a sidewalk away from the road the revelers used.

bob

laspinas76

Jun 13, 2006
Carnaval 09

Oh man. I went this past Sunday to La Vega and my butt is still sore. Next carnaval I will sit it out in a viewing area. I had a blast though.

Omg... I was there last sunday too, I was so scared, I had one of my friends cousin to protect me from being whacked in my behind.. My heart was pounding fast... then we went to Las Vegas bar and drank all night until the concert of Michel and Juliana..

I have bruises on my rear..it hurts... why do they hit us? This is my first time and I think if I go back next year I am bringing a pillow to put in my behind. jajaja

B

BettyDiamond

You should carry a sharp umbrella to burst their bladders .I usually make a few runs through on my mobility scooter to clear the way for the rest of my party, I find that the diablo is no match for an angry pensioner on medication

El Vegano

Apr 20, 2006
this sunday is your last chance!

Even though Friday the 27th there will be carnival in La Vega, due to tradition they parade without masks that day so you would miss one of the main attractions, so that leaves this Sunday the 22nd as the last good Sunday and it will be a madhouse.

If you don?t want to get hit (they are not bladders they are motorcycle inner tubes pumped up) sneak around the back of the crowds, keep looking around constantly and avoid looking ?different? to attract the diablos?attention.

Go to the less crowded parallel street to be able to see things better and avoid the crush and risks of getting pickpocketed. THINK AND BE SAFE!

La Vega awaits you.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
So will the last weekend for Carnival in the capitol be on the 22nd as well? Will the only celebration in SD on the weekend of the 27th be the Independence Day parade/Carnival celebration on that day?

DRExplorer

Jan 1, 2007
La Vega Carnaval

I heard it's driving out evil spirits.

Same here.
Also, I came with a group of ten people and every one of us got whacked. I even had a 800lbs gorilla with muscles and he got whacked also. It's all part of the tradition. Will I go again? Hell yeah!! ;)

Sep 19, 2005
one year not long ago they had the last carnival actually in march..maybe the first....

because it fell on a sunday...like this year

anyone remember that?? less than 3 years ago i think..

It might have only been in Santo Domingo....I am losing my memory....is that a sign of anything serious?? ha ha ha

bad bob