Carnivale season here in d.r.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I went to La Vega once and like chic NEVER AGAIN ! I was carrying my very young daughter and was repeatedly struck by those irresponsible idiots. A perfect example of why Dominicans have a first class reputation for being second class a**holes.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
................... and was repeatedly struck by those irresponsible idiots. A perfect example of why Dominicans have a first class reputation for being second class a**holes.

ROTFLMAO, I hear you peep2, but as our beloved friend, AZB, always preached there are at least two different classes of Dominicans. There have been several posts in the past to at all costs avoid the La Vega Carnaval.

Come to the Carnaval in Santo Domingo first Sunday in March and a pleasant afternoon will be had. The DR starts shutting down the streets and hauling in truck loads of PN and military before the sun rises. Any hoodlums wanting to act a fool will be quickly carted away. I have attended four SD Carnavals and the only rear end smacking I noticed was the young guys trying to have some fun with the young girl they are trying to get the phone number for

The SD Carnaval is the one the dignitaries attend and the PN and military don't take no mess.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I enjoy the parade in Santo Domingo. We have relatives who live near the conde so we make a day of it. When the wife and kids want to go to La Vega, I don't mind. They just go without me. The thoughtless "diablos" ruin what would otherwise be a most entertaining event. That kind of stuff reflects poorly on what would otherwise be a more respected culture.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
From Sosua News as Ken would say :

Carnival Puerto Plata
In a press meeting the dates of this year's carnival parades in Puerto Plata have been announced. It will happen on four Sundays in February, 1, 8, 15 and 22nd February. The main stage, where performances by nationally renowned merengue, bachata and reggaeton bands will take place, is planned to be built opposite the fire station at the Malec?n. The start of the Carnival is on Saturday evening January 31 when at half past eight the election of King Momo and the queen of the carnival takes place in the Hall of Ocean Marine World. Then each weekend of February carnival activities take place at different spots in Puerto Plata. The official launch is on Sunday February 1 with a parade on the Malec?n (boulevard of Puerto Plata).
Carnival Puerto Plata
Carnival Puerto Plata
The carnival is sponsored by the Brugal rum factory, the Municipality of Puerto Plata and the Ministry of Tourism (Mitur).

Link to Sosua News :
Sosa-News

Olly and the Team

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
that whipping thing should be illegal. i fail to understand how it is allowable for an absolute stranger to hit another with some kind of an object, and chalk it up to things like fun or custom. in 2015, i think that tradition is long past its expiration date.
You pays your money, you takes your chances. Which is why you would not catch me in Liberty City or Miami Gardens on any given day of the week. As an innocent bystander, you could well be the object of a wayward bullet.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Is the big Carnival parade in Santo Domingo on Sat. Feb 28th this year ? ? (not sure where to look it up)

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
that whipping thing should be illegal. i fail to understand how it is allowable for an absolute stranger to hit another with some kind of an object, and chalk it up to things like fun or custom. in 2015, i think that tradition is long past its expiration date.

supposed to be bad news to do it to tourists......they are warned !!!!