Casa Marina Beach/Reef - Bad Review?

BradM

Sep 6, 2007
I have a group of friends coming to the North Coast and they want to stay in an AI. I suggested the Casa Marina, for it's location to everything. I stayed there several years ago and thought it would be good for the group.

When they checked with their travel agent, she said that the hotel has become severely run down over the years and she won't book anyone in there at any price.

She is proposing "Sosua By The Sea" and "Bahia Principe" as better alternatives. Sosua By The Sea would be a viable alternative, but it's not really an AI per se, but the Bahia Principe is way out of the way in Rio San Juan.

Does anyone that has stayed at the Casa Marina have any comments with regards to the condition of the hotel?

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Brad. I have had 3 separate sets of freinds/family stay there in the past year and all have enjoyed it very much. Not super fancy but not complaints from any of them. Tom

I have a group of friends coming to the North Coast and they want to stay in an AI. I suggested the Casa Marina, for it's location to everything. I stayed there several years ago and thought it would be good for the group.

When they checked with their travel agent, she said that the hotel has become severely run down over the years and she won't book anyone in there at any price.

She is proposing "Sosua By The Sea" and "Bahia Principe" as better alternatives. Sosua By The Sea would be a viable alternative, but it's not really an AI per se, but the Bahia Principe is way out of the way in Rio San Juan.

Does anyone that has stayed at the Casa Marina have any comments with regards to the condition of the hotel?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We have had clients stay there this year and all enjoyed it. I actually ate dinner there two weeks ago and the food was pretty good.

Bob K

loobyloo

Aug 3, 2008
Hi brad,
I've stayed at the Casa Marina Reef twice this year, the last time being 6 weeks ago and i'm booked in again for the begining of Jan :)

Yes.. the rooms are a little tired and could prob do with a re-furb, nevertheless they are clean n tidy, staff are friendly and food is ok.. all in all its a decent hotel to stay at bargain prices.. I mean ?614 for 2 weeks AI from the UK takes some beating
looby

adiaz43

Jul 28, 2008
Brad,
Casa Marina is fair for the price. I was there during the last week of September (26-30). I enjoyed my stay. Staff was nice. Pool was great. AI drink all the time ;) ;). My only suggestion is to make sure you get a room on the reef side of the hotel. the beach side is in need of a little tlc.

- Adrian

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I would be interested to know the price difference between casa marina and the one suggested by the travel agent lol- could she be working on commission

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
awful

My husband and I stayed at Casa Marina, it was one fo the worst hotels we have stayed at. It all depends on yoru expectations, but it was a little to run down for me, the pool was never clean, the hotel in general was nto as clean as it could have been. I woudl never recommend this hotel to my friends. I only ate fruit and vegetable the whole trip. it states all inclusive but after certain hours you need to [pay for your drinks in the disco. Just not a good holiday for us

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
are you sure you were in casa marina in sosua- the pool always looks clean to me...there are three arent there

gert51

Dec 27, 2004
we are at the casa marina reef/beach now and have no complaints, the pools are cleaned every day and the staff work very hard, some people come with high expectations but remember it is 3* but we think a very good one

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Casa Marina is cheaper then both Sosua by the Sea and Bahia Principe. Being a travel agent I am sure that she is trying to get you to stay at one of the other places as the rates are higher.

Bahia Principe is about 1.5 hrs outside of Puerto Plata and a fair distance away from night life and everything else.

Casa Marina is a nice hotel, true some updates could be made, but other then that I would recomend it for sure. Night life, shopping and Sosua beach all right there.

Cheers :eek:)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you want to go to Casa Marina Reef check direct with American Airlines. They have great deals to this place with air included if you are coming from the US.

All in all it is a nice place for the price, providing you get the right price.

Sosua by the Sea is a bit nicer in my opinion but smaller. SBS has been sold though so I really am not up to date on this one.

Bahia P. is not located anywhere near Sosua or Cabarete, it is close to Rio S. Juan. But it has recently been renovated, and is a good hotel.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I agrree with Sammy. Depends on the $$ you want to spend. My family stay there when they come to visit (Sometimes as cheap as flight only) Not a 5 star but OK for the price you pay. Had some great meals there served by the ocean. The manager does a super job with the budget they give him.

theman

Aug 25, 2008
Was in Casa Marina last week, Hotel is nice but the food in horrible, same food everyday. But eating out the hotel is not expensive.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If you want to go to Casa Marina Reef check direct with American Airlines. They have great deals to this place with air included if you are coming from the US.

All in all it is a nice place for the price, providing you get the right price.

Sosua by the Sea is a bit nicer in my opinion but smaller. SBS has been sold though so I really am not up to date on this one.

Bahia P. is not located anywhere near Sosua or Cabarete, it is close to Rio S. Juan. But it has recently been renovated, and is a good hotel.

Bahia P. is not that close to Rio San Juan. It's not in walking distance to anything, and atleast 10 minutes from RSJ with a taxi.

theman

Aug 25, 2008
I've been to Casa MArina, it's an OK hotel, 3.5 stars, place is clean, my only problem was the food, not good anough for me, but who cares there's plenty of nice restaurant in Sosua. And Casa Marina is not expensive at all, when I went I wanted to get a plane ticket,it was 700$, and for 750$ I had plane ticket and hotel for the week, choice was easy.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Bahia P. is not that close to Rio San Juan. It's not in walking distance to anything, and atleast 10 minutes from RSJ with a taxi.

I did not mean close as of walking distance. Close by car or taxi.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
We always stay at Casa Marina and like it was already mentioned, the place could use a couple of coats of paint, but all in all it is a very nice resort and as far as the pools or anything else being dirty, I have to disagree. The maids, the cleaners and the other workers do an excellent job in my opinion of keeping the place tidy. If you want your room cleaned daily, all you need to do is mention it the maid and they are more than happy to oblige.

The food can be a little repetitious sometimes, but there are a variety of places to eat and I strongly suggest checking out Jalepeno between 12 & 4. OR check out the many restaurants in Sosua.

Sosua by the Sea is nice and quaint, but rather on the quiet side in my opinion and I don't even know where Bahia is.

I wouldn't rule out Casa Marina based on what that travel agent said.

I hope they have a great time whereever they decide to go.

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
I had stayed at both Casa Marina and Sosua by the Sea. Sosua by the Sea is nice and quiet and the food to me is better. Casa Marina is a little bit cleaner than Sousa by the Sea, but I don't like the food and is kind of loud at night. I had stayed at other places in Sosua and Puerto Plata and they all fall behind average standard when it comes to cleanness.

JudyM

Jan 31, 2003
I don't know if your friends have travelled yet or not, but we were at the Casa Marina in February of this year and would never go back again. Both rooms had significant amounts of black mould in the bathrooms - and the rooms are very shabby.

The lobby is very small - the size of my living room - nothing like the large, open-aired lobbies we have seen before.

Why not look into the Sosua Bay Club (I think it is under a different name now...). We stayed there a few years ago and loved it. At that time, the food was the best we ever had at an AI - I'm not sure about now, though...