Cellphone question

JimW

May 21, 2014
Hi santa,
Here's the scoop (I've been through this as I send phones down to the DR my in-laws).
BEST: If you can pick up a used AT&T, TMobile or Verizon iPhone 5 or higher it will work in the DR with either a Claro or Orange SIM. This is because starting with the iPhone 5 Apple made them ‘world phones’ (even the CDMA Verizon model). They all have SIM card slots and you can pop a GSM Orange or Claro SIM from the DR in them and they’ll work with both voice, text and 3G (normal) data. Note that if it’s an AT&T or TMobile phone, the phone must still be “unlocked”. Verizon didn’t lock theirs in GSM mode so the VERY BEST option is a used Verizon iPhone 5 or higher.
One word of note, if you don’t already have a DR telephone number and will be buying a SIM card at the airport or a kiosk and don’t have an affinity, go with CLARO over ORANGE. Claro uses the same frequency bands as AT&T in the US making the phones compatible. ORANGE’s frequency bands are only used in a very limited number of countries (e.g., Venezuela) making finding a phone that slots-in well, difficult.
So, my very best recommendation would be iPhone 5 or higher, unlocked AT&T or Verizon using a CLARO SIM. Works every time.
What is an iPhone isn’t in the budget? Android is fine too but I would go with a used AT&T phone and a CLARO SIM. The frequency bands are compatible and they’re both GSM. Newer Verizon phones such as Glaxy S6’s + will work on GSM but they’re likely over the price point you’re looking for.
What DON’T I recommend?
1. Phones by Sprint, MetroPCS or other smaller providers in the US. The frequency bands and GSM/CDMA combinations will rarely work well in the DR. Stay away unless someone on the forum here can vouch for a particular phone/SIM provider combination.
ALSO NOTE:
1. Almost any phone from AT&T or T-Mobile will work for VOICE-only. That’s because almost all phones made in the last 5 years include the four primary 2G frequency bands (850/900/1850/1900) used for voice. Note again, this is just VOICE. Compatibility issues usually arise around DATA (if the phone is not compatible for data you will simply either not be able to browse the web or doing so will be so slow (2G) that you’ll give up.
2. Regarding 4G LTE: While an iPhone (and possibly others) may work on CLARO’s 4G LTE, I wouldn’t rely on it. Also 4G LTE hasn’t been fully rolled-out everywhere in the DR yet so I would stick with the normal 3G data and leave the serious browsing to when you’re connected to WiFi.
Hope this helps.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Hi santa,
Here's the scoop (I've been through this as I send phones down to the DR my in-laws).
BEST: If you can pick up a used AT&T, TMobile or Verizon iPhone 5 or higher it will work in the DR with either a Claro or Orange SIM. This is because starting with the iPhone 5 Apple made them ‘world phones’ (even the CDMA Verizon model). They all have SIM card slots and you can pop a GSM Orange or Claro SIM from the DR in them and they’ll work with both voice, text and 3G (normal) data. Note that if it’s an AT&T or TMobile phone, the phone must still be “unlocked”. Verizon didn’t lock theirs in GSM mode so the VERY BEST option is a used Verizon iPhone 5 or higher.
One word of note, if you don’t already have a DR telephone number and will be buying a SIM card at the airport or a kiosk and don’t have an affinity, go with CLARO over ORANGE. Claro uses the same frequency bands as AT&T in the US making the phones compatible. ORANGE’s frequency bands are only used in a very limited number of countries (e.g., Venezuela) making finding a phone that slots-in well, difficult.
So, my very best recommendation would be iPhone 5 or higher, unlocked AT&T or Verizon using a CLARO SIM. Works every time.
What is an iPhone isn’t in the budget? Android is fine too but I would go with a used AT&T phone and a CLARO SIM. The frequency bands are compatible and they’re both GSM. Newer Verizon phones such as Glaxy S6’s + will work on GSM but they’re likely over the price point you’re looking for.
What DON’T I recommend?
1. Phones by Sprint, MetroPCS or other smaller providers in the US. The frequency bands and GSM/CDMA combinations will rarely work well in the DR. Stay away unless someone on the forum here can vouch for a particular phone/SIM provider combination.
ALSO NOTE:
1. Almost any phone from AT&T or T-Mobile will work for VOICE-only. That’s because almost all phones made in the last 5 years include the four primary 2G frequency bands (850/900/1850/1900) used for voice. Note again, this is just VOICE. Compatibility issues usually arise around DATA (if the phone is not compatible for data you will simply either not be able to browse the web or doing so will be so slow (2G) that you’ll give up.
2. Regarding 4G LTE: While an iPhone (and possibly others) may work on CLARO’s 4G LTE, I wouldn’t rely on it. Also 4G LTE hasn’t been fully rolled-out everywhere in the DR yet so I would stick with the normal 3G data and leave the serious browsing to when you’re connected to WiFi.
Hope this helps.

Intresting, I actually do have some trouble with " internet data " on a european phone deblocked in the dr..... this is probably why.

The way to get around this is using a dr phone ( or another phone ) to create a wifi hot spot, and then use wifi on the problematic phone.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
 Intresting, I actually do have some trouble with " internet data " on a european phone deblocked in the dr..... this is probably why.

Europe uses different LTE bands. 3G probably works, but slowly. Though I've gotten tablets and phablets from China that work great on Orange sim cards. Never tried them on Claro; so maybe Orange will work with those devices?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
willmyphonework.net is the place to go. Just plug in the phone model and it will show you which network is compatible.

I find that Motorola phones are shipping unlocked phones with most of the bands other then iPhones. But many US phonesare moving on to all bands ready phones. My Sprint Samsung Galaxy S6 worked perfectly in DR, which was unheard of couple of year back. People just have to make sure that phones from US are sim unlocked or easily unlockable in DR. I find Samsung is cheapest to unlock and iPhone are the most expensive.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
http://willmyphonework.net/ this link is truly a gem! I never ever thought that the same model of cellphone is produced with different bandwidths. LOL it makes selecting a phone even more difficult.... Koreano is right the Motorola phones have the most bandwidths covert. Very interesting link!!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
if I could just humbly add to the very useful posts above, esp # 21 .. Just be careful when buying used phones.. Some of them have damaged Sim Card readers . Had this issue with 2 diff phones (both AT&T) . Always check them out completely in the USA before taking them overseas , because you may assume its the Sim card there, or that the phone was not properly unlocked, when its actually your phones Sim Reader .

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...yes agree dont buy a used phone........the new ones online that I have bought, from amazon....were unlocked and called international versions, even a new j7 samsung gold was only $200, with free shipping, and if you add the memory chip you have 128 gb memory, and a 5 and a half inch screen.........have always bought down i phones or samsung, unlocked before going to DR, just added the sim cards, always worked...all the in laws have one........Doc..........

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
buy chinese brand xioami redmi note 3 pro (snapdragon version). It's unlocked and works on LTE frequency of claro and orange as well. It will work in usa on t mobile and att lte bands as well. very good phone and you can get it for less than 200 dollars shipped to a USA address and EPS or BMcargo can ship it here for very little money and no custom duties will be charged. the phone is fast and very reliable. It will come with global rom which will be in english and other languages. No chinese stuff installed. I bought one from a chinese retail website but ebay also sells it. Remember to buy the snapdragon chip version. I believe they also have redmi note 4 but I am not sure if it's under 200 dollars or not.
AZB