Centro de internet

Jacobb

Jul 30, 2005
Can anyone please guide me to a good source where I can find commercial property to put un centro de internet. I live in the states but I am going to be putting a couple of these in different parts of the country. I would like to put two in El Seybo. One in Santo Domingo and one in Santiago. I have some people looking into it at the moment but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of where to look. Any help is appreciated. Jake

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Beside facing a whole lot of competition

This is a task that is best handled by a paid consultant.

Looking for commercial property might be a piece of cake in El Seibo but in Santo Domingo and Santiago you are looking at a really large population center with multiple layers of problems and opportunities.

Good Luck

HB :D:D

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Have Seen Them "COME",And I HaveSeen Them "GO",

I have just NEVER seen them stay!!!!In the last 10 years living in Santo Domingo,I have seen lots of "Computer/Internet Access" shops start up.I have seen lots of "Internet Cafes" do the same.None are still in business in the same spot.There is one near my house with about 3 months in business,and one near where I work with about 1 month in use.I will let you know how things go.Most tend to cater to the "Poorer" areas,"Rich" people have access at work,and at home so they don't need a "store" to go to."Poor" people really don't haave money to spend.Tourists are not a reliable source of income.
Let us know how things go for you.
Take "Hillbilly's advice.Renting a "storefront" is ALWAYS trouble!!!!
ccccccccccccccccccccc

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Most of them lower and lower the price per hour, just to get some clients is..
At the end there are the bills, electricity, monthly fees, salaries,etc etc etc and they are gone. (Like here in Juan Dolio and other places)
The only ones that seems to survive are the more expensive ones...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Jacobb said:
Can anyone please guide me to a good source where I can find commercial property to put un centro de internet. I live in the states but I am going to be putting a couple of these in different parts of the country. I would like to put two in El Seybo. One in Santo Domingo and one in Santiago. I have some people looking into it at the moment but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of where to look. Any help is appreciated. Jake
It's a tough business. There is an internet cafe attached to the Costalunga Hotel in Boca Chica that seems to change owners/manager about every six months. I'm sure you can contact the owner of the hotel and you could become the newest proprietor.

las olas

Jun 17, 2004
Internet Cafe owner's reply

I own and operate an internet cafe in Saman? and I can tell you that I doubt the computers in any cafe generate enough money to make a profitable business. One peso, two pesos, three pesos a minute...whatever. Computers alone will not make you money! You must diversify - gifts, food, phones, cambio, etc.

I'd be happy to sell you my Cafe, across from the public dock in Saman?. A great spot, especially during whale season!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
las olas said:
I own and operate an internet cafe in Saman? and I can tell you that I doubt the computers in any cafe generate enough money to make a profitable business. One peso, two pesos, three pesos a minute...whatever. Computers alone will not make you money! You must diversify - gifts, food, phones, cambio, etc.

I'd be happy to sell you my Cafe, across from the public dock in Saman?. A great spot, especially during whale season!

I agree with you. I have a friend who runs the biggest internet center in Puerto Plata. He has 9 computers, and 30 pesos per 30 min.
He can not go higher as everyone else have that price.
He makes about nothing, taking into consideration computers, updates, electricity, planta/inversor etc etc.
Aside from that, he offers caf? with food & homebaked cakes, phonecalls, digital camera service, sells a game or two as well, he fixes computers as well to a good price...
Still no good business, long hours of work, and this one is for sale as well.

Last edited:

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Tough competition

The good thing about internet centers in the DR is that there is demand for it and demand will stay because most people don't have access to a pc at home or at work.
The bad thing about it is that your customers either don't have money (poor dominicans without pc) or don't repeat their business (tourists).
It might make sense setting up a couple in the campo but I don't see the point of doing in in SD/STI: the cost of your commercial property will be much higher and you cannot charge more due to competition.
As has been said, you need to offer extra services: translation service, typing work, gaming, phonecalls, etc
good luck
Bartolomeo

fortywater

May 4, 2005
added value

I agree that the internet centers are always going in and out of business and I think you definitely need some type of added value that you can really make your money from. I was wondering about combining voip with the internet centers so that people could make calls abroad. The voip rates are excellent and whenever I made a call to the US I had to pay an arm and a leg. How does that sound?