Chavon River - Photos

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
How Sad!!!

It is hard to imagine that only a couple of months ago I traveled over that same bridge and was in awe of the wonderful view. I had plans to take my sister to Altos de Chavon on our visit in two weeks. I have a question - Is that the same bridge that the people who live in El Seibo use to travel to and from Higuey/Punta Cana? I am asking because I have a few friends that work at Iberostar PC who go home to El Seibo during their days off and was wondering if this will cause them to be separated from their families. I thought that one of my friends, Norma, said that it was the way that she traveled to get home. My prayers are with all of my friends and all of the Dominicans who now have to rebuild and start anew.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The government announced that they will build this week provisional bridges over Soco and Chavon so that the flow can be renewed. The bridge will be built in cooperation with Central Romana. There is talk about it ready midweek.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Wow!

Dolores said:
The government announced that they will build this week provisional bridges over Soco and Chavon so that the flow can be renewed. The bridge will be built in cooperation with Central Romana. There is talk about it ready midweek.
This I have to see.
If they do manage to get it done within a week, would you please send them up here after they are through, to repair the highway between La Union and the Airforce base?

LynnCox

Feb 18, 2002
INCREDIBLE...if they do!!!

Dolores said:
I understand that the bridge over Rio Soco is open, so why would they have to rebuild? People I know have arrived from SDQ to La Romana safely over the bridge, was it damaged? If so, why was it reopened to traffic? My insurance adjuster arrived Friday night from SDQ. Yes...he's a fast worker! :>) Gotta get my claim in.

It will be a miracle if La Represa is rebuilt within a week and can we be sure it is safe for passage? Wow...that would be something to see, but since CR will be involved and they depend on passage, maybe it will be done. This I gotta see!

I hear they are charging RD$1000 to take a jola across, then I heard it was more like a motorized boat since the river is flowing so fast and hard...very dangerous I'd think...not what I'd do to get across.

Lynn

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
LynnCox said:
I understand that the bridge over Rio Soco is open, so why would they have to rebuild? People I know have arrived from SDQ to La Romana safely over the bridge, was it damaged? If so, why was it reopened to traffic? My insurance adjuster arrived Friday night from SDQ. Yes...he's a fast worker! :>) Gotta get my claim in.

It will be a miracle if La Represa is rebuilt within a week and can we be sure it is safe for passage? Wow...that would be something to see, but sonce CR will be involved and they depend on passage, maybe it will be done. This I gotta see!

Lynn

El Caribe newspaper reports that the Ministry of Public Works is working on the construction of two detours to cross Soco and Chavon rivers to link El Seibo and Higuey. The detour to Chavon River is intended so that trucks, buses and high up vehicles can cross, former senator Enrique Martinez is quoted saying. The newspaper says that the alternate passes should be ready between today and tomorrow. President Leonel Fernandez reports that two prefab bridges will be located on the rivers for temporary crossing. He said that the bridges have already been imported and are in Customs.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Since you are in La Romana, could you report back as an eyewitness of damages at Casa de Campo, and with the exception of the Casa de Campo Marina that we understand was affected by lots of flooding, how did Altos de Chavon, Casa de Campo the hotel and the golf courses fare and when will things be back to relative normalcy? This is especially of interests to visits that are coming down and are posting questions on the Jeanne Damages report forum. Could you post your answer at that forum. Thank you.

LynnCox

Feb 18, 2002
WAY to go Leonel!!!

Dolores said:
El Caribe newspaper reports that the Ministry of Public Works is working on the construction of two detours to cross Soco and Chavon rivers to link El Seibo and Higuey. The detour to Chavon River is intended so that trucks, buses and high up vehicles can cross, former senator Enrique Martinez is quoted saying. The newspaper says that the alternate passes should be ready between today and tomorrow. President Leonel Fernandez reports that two prefab bridges will be located on the rivers for temporary crossing. He said that the bridges have already been imported and are in Customs.
GREAT! Glad to see our President has acted so quickly. Highly doubtful this would've been solved so quickly before. Thanks Dolores for the news.

If I understand it...the bridge over Rio Soco coming into Romana is open and it is out going into Seibo? That is the one to be fixed?

Lynn

LynnCox

Feb 18, 2002
Dolores said:
Since you are in La Romana, could you report back as an eyewitness of damages at Casa de Campo, and with the exception of the Casa de Campo Marina that we understand was affected by lots of flooding, how did Altos de Chavon, Casa de Campo the hotel and the golf courses fare and when will things be back to relative normalcy? This is especially of interests to visits that are coming down and are posting questions on the Jeanne Damages report forum. Could you post your answer at that forum. Thank you.
Sure, where is the forum at? Is there a specific one you'd like me to go to? Is that the damages on Jeanne one?

I also have recived great pictures of the Marina flooding, sent to Robert this morning.

Lynn

Last edited:

LynnCox

Feb 18, 2002
Found It!!!

LynnCox said:
Sure, where is the forum at? Is there a specific one you'd like me to go to? Is that the damages on Jeanne one?

I also have recived great pictures of the Marina flooding, sent to Robert this morning.

Lynn
Found it Dolores and posted! Lynn