Cigar Stores in Santiago

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
Does anyone know where I can buy Montecristy cigars in Santiago at a good price? I?m getting tired of paying too much for them around town. I?m willing to take the drive from Sosua to Santiago as long as I get a better deal.:confused::smoke:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
Someone told me that in Santiago you can buy them for less, even Cohibas. I don't even bather with Cabarete b/c of the gringo prices ovethere.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Box of Cuban Cohibas (26 cigars ) in Cabarete 55US

FAKES for sure. Do not buy any Cubans in Cabarate or Sosua, or anywhere unless at the Juaragua Hotel Cigar shop. HB knows a few other places, but Cabarete is not on his list I assure you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Montecristos are made by Tabacalera Garc?a in la Romana. They are sold here in the country by Marcas Premium. You are screwed.

If you want some quality cigars, come down to Santiago and we can go to a couple of small factories and see what they have.

Send me a PM to set it up..

HB

There are NO legit Cohibas from Cuba on the North Shore, except possible at a little place in Sosua, whose name I forgot. He did have legit Cubans according to DavidZ....

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Montecristos are made by Tabacalera Garc?a in la Romana. They are sold here in the country by Marcas Premium. You are screwed.

If you want some quality cigars, come down to Santiago and we can go to a couple of small factories and see what they have.

Send me a PM to set it up..

HB

There are NO legit Cohibas from Cuba on the North Shore, except possible at a little place in Sosua, whose name I forgot. He did have legit Cubans according to DavidZ....[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the little cigar shop attached to the Cubano Cafe in Sosua?????? I checked the last time I was in Sosua (April) and he was out of Cubans entirely............

I was trying to find some genuine Cubans myself last trip.......I'd like to know where you could buy some legit ones, myself.......I'll agree 99.9% of the "Cuban" cigars offered in stores and on the beach are FAKES !!!!!!!!

Last edited:

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
Hillbilly, thanks for the info and the offert...I think I'll just go La Cirean in Puerto Plata and call it off. I know that it won't be cheap, but I do know that they have good quality cigars...

Once I bought a box of fake Cohibas at the beach in Caberete...they were not that bad, but you can clearly see that they are fakes...also they were a little too dry, but not bad for $20.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
I have heard the same...do the issues in Cuba, their cigars seem to have lost some of its good qualities. For me the best cigars are found in the DR.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
NEVER buy "Cuban" cigars anywhere, even in Cuba, except from a licensed Casa del Habanos store or dealer. You are 99.999% guaranteed to get fakes otherwise.

Super Super Liquors in Sosua just got in some 100% Genuine Cuban Cohibas...Robustos and Coronas 600-650 pesos each...not all that bad, really, if you *must* have Cubans. I saw them for about $25 a piece in a Certified Casa del Habano store in Rio de Janeiro last year. In the past Super Super has had some much more reasonable Cubans, like Punch for around 250 pesos each.

Cafe Cubano doesn't have any Cubans right now, but he's got a good selection of other Super Premiums...i.e Fuente Opus X, La Aurora Cien Anos and Preferidos, etc...

The cigar store in the Hotel Gran Almirante in Santiago usually has a few Genuine Cuban Cohibas and Romeo y Julietas...

If you want standard La Aurora or Leon Jimenez cigars, you can get them at any supermarket at reasonable prices.

If you are interested in any premium Dominican Cigars, i.e. Montecristo, Cohiba, Fuente, Romeo y Julieta, etc. or Nicauraguan or Honduran cigars, drop me a PM, I've got quite a few in singles, boxes, and gift sets that I'd be willing to part with for a reasonable price...and maybe a glass or two of good rum...or port ;) All guaranteed genuine...I'm in Cabarete...

Pablo El Viajero

Nov 27, 2015
Gentleman! I'll be in the country in December. I'm looking to buy some Dominican Cohibas in the silver tube
....I'm hearing the best thing to do is go to the factory outlet in Santiago. Does any one know where it is? Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are no factory outlets in Santiago. I sent you a PM as to where you can get them here.

If anyone did not take up DavidZ's off they are doo-doo heads...he has one heck of a selection. And good rum and port.

It would be well worth the effort to make contact via a PM with David just to go and see what he has.

HB

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Thought I'd post my reply to Pablo in case it helps anyone else interested in cigars here:

Hi Pablo,

I don't have any of the Cohiba Tubos. I'm not sure if they are available here, they may be export only. But if they were, they would be likely be between $10-15 a piece. Unfortunately, due to the taxes here, there are few bargains on Dominican cigars unless you buy them direct from the factory, which is not easy to do. I have a small shop in Cabarete and a private stock that I sell from. I have some single Romeo y Julietas and Montecristo in tubes at a great price if you're interested

The only big factory in Santiago that has tours open to the public is Aurora, and they have a store on premises where you can get a decent price, but you'd probably do better buying online in the US.

The best selection in Sosua is at Cafe Cubano. I'd be hesitant buying from most other places there.

*Also want to add that HB is certainly correct, there are no factory outlets, or even stores with exceptional prices in Santiago, or anywhere in the country that I'm aware of. Tres Reinas in Los Jardines and The cigar shop in the Gran Almirante are your best source for 100% real cigars in Santiago. All major supermarkets have a decent selection of the Aurora lines and most major brands, but they are by no means a bargain. The airports all have a decent selection in the duty free shops, but they are definitely not "duty free"!

In addition, I can vouch for the authenticity and good price of the cigars at Super Super Liquors in Sosua, but they don't have the largest selection. And finally...most of the "local" (non-famous brand) cigars sold everywhere are a crap shoot...definitely some are great cigars, but most are better as souvenirs than really good smokes.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Quite frankly, Cuban cigars ain't what they used to be. Most Dominican cigars are better now.

I agree. The last Cuban Cohiba that I smoked (purchased in Barcelona) was plugged so badly that I had to toss it. Not just Dominican, I'd venture that even the honduran and nicaraguan cigars are better quality these days.