Cingular cell phones?

Rick

Feb 21, 2002
Please, can someone tell me if Cingular cell phones work in the Dominican Republic? Model of phones are Motorola RAZR V3, and Motorola L6. Can these phone by activated?

Thank you for any help..
Rick

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Yes

Rick said:
Please, can someone tell me if Cingular cell phones work in the Dominican Republic? Model of phones are Motorola RAZR V3, and Motorola L6. Can these phone by activated?

Thank you for any help

Rick
Yes they can

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Yes.......and maybe.........

1. The phones will work if you have Cingular service in the US with roaming........you pay roaming charges when you use them.

2. **IF** the phone is unlocked you can just buy an "ORANGE" chip for under $300 RD peso's and your phone will work with local "ORANGE" service.

3. **IF** the phone is currently active with CINGULAR in the US, chances are the phone is LOCKED>......... **IF** you call CINGULAR and ask them to unlock it, chances are they will say NO....... BUT IF YOU SPEAK WITH A SUPERVISOR, and tell them that you live in 2 countries and have had CINGULAR service for over 3 months..........they will guide you through unlocking the phone while you are on the phone and then you just put in the new ORANGE chip that you buy here in the DR.............

.........OR you find a cellular shop in POP to unlock it, but they will charge you for it and chances are it will have to be sent to SANTIAGO and will take a few days and a few pesos......

I have a RAZR, a Samsung (push to talk) and an audiovox PDA all working with both CINGULAR and ORANGE service....

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I had my Cingular phone (w600i) unlocked and with orange service in less than 30 minutes in Santiago. Cost - $300 pesos. That's about $9.50 USD.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I just bought an unlocked Cingular phone on eBay and put in my Orange Sim card. Works perfectly.

Regarding instructions for unlocking phones, how to do it info is readily avalable on the internet. Do a Google search for unlock Nokia, or Motorola, or whatever. Here is one of the links you can check for instructions on unlocking Motorola http://www.gsm-software.com/unlock/unlockmotorola.html

For answers to a lot of common questions about international use of
GSM phones, see the question and answer section here http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/unlockingfaq.htm#8g

Last edited:

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Can you tell me where?

El Tigre said:
I had my Cingular phone (w600i) unlocked and with orange service in less than 30 minutes in Santiago. Cost - $300 pesos. That's about $9.50 USD.

El Tigre, (or anyone that knows) Now a friend of mine just asked me WHERE they can get their Cingular phone unlocked since they are already here in the DR.

They will be in Santiago on Saturday and would like to go where you went.

Thanks,

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
They can go to any Orange shop. I went to the one on Estrella Sadala right by the Uacalito (not sure if that's how you spell it).

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Landmarks??

El Tigre said:
They can go to any Orange shop. I went to the one on Estrella Sadala right by the Uacalito (not sure if that's how you spell it).

So I can explain it to them...................what's UACALITO?????? Any other landmarks (popular stores) that they can look for.........I know that Estrella Sadala is the street that Hache is on.........

Thanks

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
The uacalito is the place where Dominicans go get their passports/birth certificates. It's a huge land mark.

But just tell them to go to any Orange Shop and explain that they want to unblock the phone and get Orange service. Total cost is $300 pesos.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
thanks...........I know where that is...............

They have already gone to 2 orange shops in POP and were told that they would have to take the phone and send it to Santiago............so I assumed that NOT all shops did it...............

.........i'll recommend that they go to the same one you did, since at least we know you had yours opened there......

Thanks

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Yup. Only cost me 300 pesos. I was in and out in half hour. There were plenty people there but they work fast.