CITIZENSHIP THROUGH MARRIAGE -MEN UPDATE ON EXTRA REQUIREMENTS

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
It;s a shame all the documents you have to submit than they change the rules after you did all the leg work. You would think they would make it easier for folks who are trying to do the right thing. same bull cr*p with the residence process they change Daily the rules...that's why i just sit back and get drunk all the time ...... and live for today .

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
It;s a shame all the documents you have to submit than they change the rules after you did all the leg work. You would think they would make it easier for folks who are trying to do the right thing. same bull cr*p with the residence process they change Daily the rules...that's why i just sit back and get drunk all the time ...... and live for today .

Might as well live for today as the world has lost its bearings, all the way from top to bottom. Very similar to the period before WWII.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
A little off topic but I was wondering what is the advantage to becoming a Dominican citizen if you are already a resident. Other than not having to renew citizenship. (I'm U.S. wife is D.R.)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A little off topic but I was wondering what is the advantage to becoming a Dominican citizen if you are already a resident. Other than not having to renew citizenship. (I'm U.S. wife is D.R.)

Being able to vote as well, but my primary interest is not having to renew. Renewal has been straight forward, but not guaranteed.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Since my wife is Dominican I've been thinking about the citizenship route, but after reading this thread and others, as well as experiences of some who have gone that route, I can't justify the time, expense, or headache. If they get to the point where I can do renewals in POP, I don't even see the point of the temporary permanent residencies either(?).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Since my wife is Dominican I've been thinking about the citizenship route, but after reading this thread and others, as well as experiences of some who have gone that route, I can't justify the time, expense, or headache. If they get to the point where I can do renewals in POP, I don't even see the point of the temporary permanent residencies either(?).

According to the latest information, renewals of residency (which is never permanent or a renewal would not be required) can be done in POP, with the exception of picking up the residency card. (Why do you have to go all the way to Santo Domingo just to pick up the card? Because, this is the DR.)

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
According to the latest information, renewals of residency (which is never permanent or a renewal would not be required) can be done in POP, with the exception of picking up the residency card. (Why do you have to go all the way to Santo Domingo just to pick up the card? Because, this is the DR.)

Exactly - spend an entire day travelling all the way to Sto. Dom just to pick up a residency card and cedula. The temporary residencies are so easy to do now and only cost $300 USD. Until they make citizenship and permanent residencies easier, why bother?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Exactly - spend an entire day travelling all the way to Sto. Dom just to pick up a residency card and cedula. The temporary residencies are so easy to do now and only cost $300 USD. Until they make citizenship and permanent residencies easier, why bother?

Citizenship wasn't difficult, just long and a bit frustrating because only a few of the staff in immigration know what they are doing. I didn't use a lawyer so I imagine with a lawyer is even easier and less frustrating. To me it was easier than doing my original temporary residency.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
So far , easier for me.
Not one trip to SD yet.

Application will be submitted, then I'll need to go...and that's it until the end...I'm told

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Citizenship wasn't difficult, just long and a bit frustrating because only a few of the staff in immigration know what they are doing. I didn't use a lawyer so I imagine with a lawyer is even easier and less frustrating. To me it was easier than doing my original temporary residency.

When I read cases like yours and WW's - I'm tempted.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was fed up after the new rules 3 yrs ago.... blood test, urine sample...

Just a bunch of hoop hurdling...and not too cheap.

Can't be bothered any more 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Citzenship appears to be far more difficult and invasive now than when you did it with the new requirements and frequent changes to those requirements. Even getting the proper US documents are not all that easy. "Temporary" residency is more difficult than it was for me 14 years ago. At least residency renewals can now be done for the most part on the north coast with the exception of picking up the card.

I was going to the US last night, until a flight was cancelled. One of the rare times I was going to visit NY and was thinking to get my birth certificate to start the process. Because of the next available flights would have caused me to miss visiting someone who was the reason for the trip, I cancelled it entirely, making getting an Apostilled birth certificate practically impossible to do from here in the DR. Perhaps a local lawyer can pay off the right people to make such documents magically appear? Stranger things happen.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Citzenship appears to be far more difficult and invasive now than when you did it with the new requirements and frequent changes to those requirements. Even getting the proper US documents are not all that easy. "Temporary" residency is more difficult than it was for me 14 years ago. At least residency renewals can now be done for the most part on the north coast with the exception of picking up the card.

I was going to the US last night, until a flight was cancelled. One of the rare times I was going to visit NY and was thinking to get my birth certificate to start the process. Because of the next available flights would have caused me to miss visiting someone who was the reason for the trip, I cancelled it entirely, making getting an Apostilled birth certificate practically impossible to do from here in the DR. Perhaps a local lawyer can pay off the right people to make such documents magically appear? Stranger things happen.

Have you checked with apostille services in NY? Several years ago I had to get an apostillized birth certificate from Pennsylvania. It was somewhat similar to NY in that two different agencies in different cities were involved - one issuing the birth certificate and one that did the apostille.

I can't remember the exact details, but I found an apostille service that handled getting the certificate from one place to the other and sending it to me in the DR via FedEx. Prices for this service varied widely, but I found one that charged about $50 for the service. Some were asking $200, which is still cheaper than airfare and saves the time and headache of having to go back to the US for this. That's of course in addition to the FedEx and other certificate and apostille fees.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Have you checked with apostille services in NY? Several years ago I had to get an apostillized birth certificate from Pennsylvania. It was somewhat similar to NY in that two different agencies in different cities were involved - one issuing the birth certificate and one that did the apostille.

I can't remember the exact details, but I found an apostille service that handled getting the certificate from one place to the other and sending it to me in the DR via FedEx. Prices for this service varied widely, but I found one that charged about $50 for the service. Some were asking $200, which is still cheaper than airfare and saves the time and headache of having to go back to the US for this. That's of course in addition to the FedEx and other certificate and apostille fees.

First I would have to personally request the birth certificate in the city where I was born. Then I take it to the country clerk, which is in a different city. They need to "authenticate it" in some way which is done by a regular notary. That would not be likely to happen in one day. Then that authenticated document would go to the NY State Department of State for Apostille, who knows how long that would take, and then it might actually be what I need in the DR. Or it might not be what I need. Maybe it needs to be translated and made official by a DR Consulate which is in NY City, only about 200 miles from where I would get it. Or it might "expire" and need to be done again if the paperwork is not processed quickly enough by the DR government.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
First I would have to personally request the birth certificate in the city where I was born. Then I take it to the country clerk, which is in a different city. They need to "authenticate it" in some way which is done by a regular notary. That would not be likely to happen in one day. Then that authenticated document would go to the NY State Department of State for Apostille, who knows how long that would take, and then it might actually be what I need in the DR. Or it might not be what I need. Maybe it needs to be translated and made official by a DR Consulate which is in NY City, only about 200 miles from where I would get it. Or it might "expire" and need to be done again if the paperwork is not processed quickly enough by the DR government.

And people complain about the DR system. In Canada I can order my birth Certificate online and get an original fancy copy, or a card size. then get it legalized by the Canadian Embassy in the DR, then translated and legalized by the Dominican Foreign Embassy and it's good for DR immigration.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I got the official legal province issued certified copy..... which is all you can get, I think

Had POP Cdn office certify it again..

When I took it to the DR consulate in Toronto, she turned her nose up at the POP Embassy signatures.
Stamped and signed it ($100US) and told...
This is what you need.... sent me on my way.

But you're right.... not terribly tough compared to Windy's situation as he tells it

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And people complain about the DR system. In Canada I can order my birth Certificate online and get an original fancy copy, or a card size. then get it legalized by the Canadian Embassy in the DR, then translated and legalized by the Dominican Foreign Embassy and it's good for DR immigration.

I have not pursued the path of trying to get something done at the US Embassy. Might be a work around. What you speak of is still a three step process as well, the difference being what can be done in the DR. I too can order a fancy birth certificate on line, but I don't know if that version would work for the DR.